Help

Special Education

Scheduling

>

2ndchance

Scheduling
Old 09-07-2009, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Another year and another scheduling nightmare. My question for other recource room teachers is how many grade levels is too many to teach? I was hired for K-2 and try to keep it my focus, but the 3-5 teachers has higher numbers. This year I may be taking on all of 3rd grade and am worried that with almost 30 students in 4 grade levels I will be spread too thin. We only have 1 shared part-time IA and I cannot fit times in for everything I need to. Last year I had some 3rd graders but this year it is not working the same. Any advice would be appreciated.

2ndchance is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

Argh!
Old 09-07-2009, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have spent the last 2 hours today, a HOLIDAY, trying to get it worked out.

I do K-6 and have a caseload of27, but a full time aide to do the in-class supports. I can only put a 3 year spread on kids I pull together, and most of my times I have multiple grade pull-outs.

I give them "independent" warm-up or other work so I really only spend about half the pull-out time focused on one grade.

Remember, it's not the numbers, but the needs. It is far easier to group kids with basic and advanced basic reading skills together than it is to put a letter identification kid with a kid who can read simple sentences. (I hope that made sense- I am sooo frustrated right now!)
dee is online now   Reply With Quote