Help

Special Education

HELP - Inclusion Teacher

>

2teach4

HELP - Inclusion Teacher
Old 10-12-2009, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello. I am taking 2 special education courses right now. One of them has us interview an inclusion/CTT teacher. In my school we do not have any. I was wondering if I could interview someone one or more than one person on here. You can email me at 2teach4@gmail.com
Here a list of some of the questions... It is suppose to be answered both by a general education and a special education teacher. Thanks!!!

1. What are your roles in the classroom?
2. What do you feel is working well?
3. What is not working well?
4. What do you need to make the classroom more successful?
5. What does a typical day look like?
6. If you could create an ideal inclusion model what would it look like? And how does your classroom look like?
7. What are some potential road blocks for the success of an ideal inclusion classroom?
8. Do you have a sample letter explaining how all students will benefits from being in an inclusion classroom?
If not, if a parent asked you, what are the benefits from being in an inclusion classroom?
9. Do you have any students with behavior issues? If so, what? What strategies has worked and have not worked?
10. How are you adapting/modifying curriculum for students? What are you finding easy and hard?
11. How would you define differentiated instruction? In what ways is it useful in your classroom?
12. What is your perception of what the general education world can do to be more receptive to inclusion?
13. In what ways can you promote understandings of special education students?
14. What comes to mind when you hear a person in emotionally disturbed?
15. Can someone with a learning disability go to college?

2teach4 is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Old 10-13-2009, 03:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would like to answer your questions here and hope that you will edit your post to get rid of your email in it. Just not safe

1. What are your roles in the classroom? I team teach, but my first responsibility is the student(s) I am in there for.

2. What do you feel is working well? Most things will work well if there is time to collaborate with the teacher.

3. What is not working well? Not having a common time to collaborate with the regular ed teacher.

4. What do you need to make the classroom more successful? More adults! I just feel very short handed some days.

5. What does a typical day look like? I do push-in and pull out. We have kids coming and going from my room as well as the adults.

6. If you could create an ideal inclusion model – what would it look like? And how does your classroom look like? I would have enough people to be able to handle 2 classrooms each. The subjects would be staggered so we wouldn't have to be in two places at once.

7. What are some potential road blocks for the success of an ideal inclusion classroom? schedules, teachers who don't care to have children with special needs in their room.

8. Do you have a sample letter explaining how all students will benefits from being in an inclusion classroom? No I don't as I talk to the parents before changing to inclusion or to pull-out.

If not, if a parent asked you, what are the benefits from being in an inclusion classroom? I would have to say different teaching styles and the social interaction with their peers.

9. Do you have any students with behavior issues? If so, what? What strategies has worked and have not worked? Yes, every classroom does whether the student is on a behavior plan or not. We use behavior plans and positive reinforcement.

10. How are you adapting/modifying curriculum for students? What are you finding easy and hard? I adapt by using what the teacher does and either reading a lot of it to the student and then having them practice, giving them reading strategies to help them, or finding parallel subjects.

11. How would you define differentiated instruction? In what ways is it useful in your classroom? As a special educator I have to differentiate due to the law. It is difficult some days and hard to group kids when they need different things.

12. What is your perception of what the general education world can do to be more receptive to inclusion? Just be patient and accepting. Most reg ed teachers are. It is the very few that make it really hard.

13. In what ways can you promote understandings of special education students? Through discussion or workshops.

14. What comes to mind when you hear a person in emotionally disturbed? I have never heard it called emotionally disturbed. If a child is diagnosed with an emotional disability then it means they can't handle a situation in a rational manner.

15. Can someone with a learning disability go to college?Definately!!!! I know quite a few that are in college now.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

blueheron

Inclusion teaching
Old 10-13-2009, 05:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'll get started on your questions, but it is an awfully long list.

1. What are your roles in the classroom?
It is not the classroom--it is multiple classrooms at all elementary levels, plus specials, plus my own room. All inclusion teachers in my district work this way with the help of two or more IAs. What I do and direct my IAs to do is both support by teaching adaptive skills and modifying curriculum in the general education room, and do direct instruction in the pullout room. I take all responsibility for modifying curriculum, and expect the general education teacher to respect my decisions and expertise in doing so. My IAs and I also build a relationship with each class we work with, and advocate for our kids.
2. What do you feel is working well? Most teachers and students have been very opened to accepting inclusion students in the classroom. I've also had a lot of freedom to modify as I see fit. I also do a lot to education colleagues and parents about autism.

3. What is not working well? My district is very much about having each special education teacher figure things out for him or herself, and for us to pass whatever we figure out about serving the kids onto the other teachers. For example, last year I struggled with a teacher about her expecting a student to make up the work he missed while he was receiving SDI. I had some problems with another teacher this year, but hopefully I have the problem solved. This student is in my reading group, and if the class follows their schedule I take him during their reading time. The teacher has protested that "Marcus" is in the Magenta (lowest) reading group anyway so why do I need to take him. Well, because the room is too noisy during reading groups, the packets are photocopied and he needs vivid colored pictures to help him comprehend, he's part of another group, and she has the student teaching--the least experienced person in the room--in charge of teaching the lowest group. That kind of thing simply shouldn't be a struggle.

4. What do you need to make the classroom more successful? Classrooms...

5. What does a typical day look like? It is a combination of time in general education rooms and pullout--lots of in and out. There's a reason most inclusion teachers are very thin in my district.

6. If you could create an ideal inclusion model what would it look like? And how does your classroom look like? It should be flexible according to the needs of the student. My classroom has been described as a very calming place--lots of sensory things and very little clutter.
7. What are some potential road blocks for the success of an ideal inclusion classroom? Teachers not welcoming the adults in the classroom who work with inclusion kids, or treating them like they are teacher aides.

8. Do you have a sample letter explaining how all students will benefits from being in an inclusion classroom? I do, and will send a copy if you pm me.
If not, if a parent asked you, what are the benefits from being in an inclusion classroom?

This is all I have time for now.
blueheron is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach4

thank you
Old 10-13-2009, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you soooooo much.... I really appreciate it.

2teach4

thanks!!!!
Old 10-13-2009, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you soooooo much.... I really appreciate it.