Help

Special Education

Need multiplication help for student

>

"Mrs. Gorf"

Need multiplication help for student
Old 10-13-2009, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student in my 4th grade class who is OHI (ADHD) who has difficulty with math concepts. In addition to understanding the concepts, he can't work with a "busy" page. The more problems on the page, the more likely he is to fail. We have been working with place value to the millions and have spent two weeks multiplying 2 digits by 2 digits. He is failing misserably. Both of these concepts require a heavy dose of visual overstimulation for him even if I put just one problem on the page at a time. Right now I am most concerned with the multiplication. Does anyone have any ways to teach 2 by 2 and move into 3 by 2 digits in a way that is not so overstimulating for him? He gets so lost in the problems. Thanks for any help!

"Mrs. Gorf" is offline   Reply With Quote

FLteachESE

Old 10-13-2009, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

check out lattice multiplication. You can get info on the internet about it,I found it works great with my kids.
FLteachESE is offline   Reply With Quote

"Mrs. Gorf"

Old 10-14-2009, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have used lattice math before. I think that it is still too much for him. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tounces

multiplication
Old 10-14-2009, 08:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Have you tried color-coding? You can put one digit in one color that matches the digit that gets multiplied. The other digit gets another color.

Or you could try the method of multiplying the tens and the ones separately.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvRacing

Agree w/ Tounces
Old 10-14-2009, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use color coding a great deal.

+ 38-

LuvRacing is offline   Reply With Quote

"Mrs. Gorf"

Old 10-15-2009, 03:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I tried the color coding and it still seems to be that there is too much to see. I guess it is a visual issue not an organizational issue. I'm stumped.

blueheron

Another thing to try
Old 10-15-2009, 05:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

for place value and multiplication and the other operations is turning lined notebook paper sideways, and having the student write the numbers in each column. You might want to try the lattice method even though you think it is too complicated, because a lot of students really take to it.

Another thing is to back off and work on another skill for a while. I think that students sometimes sense our frustration, and it flusters them even more, or their brains simply are not ready to process the information.
blueheron is offline   Reply With Quote

Special Texan

Multiplication ideas
Old 10-17-2009, 06:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I like both the SRA Corrective multiplication program as well as Touch Math Multiplication. They address multiplication in different ways, and depending on the learing style of your student, can be successful. Also, if you can find the old "Slam Math Multiplication" worksheets, they are pretty good. They have large font numbers and few problems per page.
Special Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

mom2six

Old 10-18-2009, 12:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

How many problems can he handle at once? I have one child who will have a huge meltdown if he sees more than 1 or 2 on the page. I put 2 problems across each row on his paper, leave extra space between rows and cut strips so he only receives 2 at a time. The rest of the strips go into a folder and are numbered with the order he works them. The time it takes him to complete even one is three times anyone else, so obviously he finishes less, but that's OK.

Another thing I do with him is print on card stock with blocks drawn. After running the pages front and back with problem (1 in each block on each side of the paper, I can cut them out. He does so much better with the cards and finishes one, then flips the card to work the other. Gradually, I hope to be able to increase to two in a block and move on up from there. Same hope with the worksheet strips. We'll see what happens.

With the 2 X 2 problems, he had so much trouble that I used a template with 2 digit place value charts (small ones where I could add the X sign and a line under the problem. I didn't write ones and tens at the top, but just drew the lines and filled in the problem numbers. ....if that makes sense. It seems to help him, but we just started it so we'll see the longterm progress.

He doesn't know all his facts. Currently this child only knows (recall) 0,1, 2 and sometimes 5 and 10. The rest he spent 2 years in regular ed and never caught on. I know it's due to his skill level and not the teachers not making efforts to meet his level. They are both teachers I would want my own child to have.

We're still trying to tackle the one digit problems he doesn't know also. But the ones he does get, he can do those problems generally. It was the amount of problems and organization of the problem on paper that really tripped him up. He's gr 4 (repeater 3rd) just placed in EC last month. We're still working things out since he's been in there such a short time. I'm open to suggestions to on ways to help him make progress with this area.
mom2six is offline   Reply With Quote