Help

Special Education

Student placement

>

7more

Student placement
Old 12-25-2011, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi friends! I have a question about students who are in ED/Special Ed rooms. When a student is ready to be outclasses is it appropriate to stop by at lunch and tell the Regular Ed teacher "Oh by the way _______ is ready to be outclassed and will start tomorrow in your class."? I think it's great that the student is ready and would welcome anyone into my class but I find this approach in poor taste. Is there a procedure for when a student is ready to be mainstreamed? Wouldn't we want to set up the student for success? Maybe have a meeting, set goals, and behavior expectations? The special ed teacher asked me if I gave out food treats to maintain good behavior b/c ______ will need them. Duh of course I don't!!!! We aren't allowed and I'm not training a dog! If ______ is ready to be mainstreamed why would she need a jelly bean every time she did what should do?
Any info on procedures would be appreciated.

7more is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

in my school
Old 12-26-2011, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I assume you're talking about a child in a self contained class, like a 12:1 or something like that. We do have a process. If we feel the child is ready to be mainstreamed, first I speak to a mainstream teacher and arrange it on an informal basis..just to make sure it is appropriate. We also need the parents consent to do this as well. If all goes well, then we have to do a re eval..to modify his plan and add mainstream..math or rdg..If we mainstream, then we do not write goals on iep..maybe just student will continue to meet grade level standards in 3rd grade math, etc.
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

acorngirl

mainstream class
Old 12-26-2011, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our process is pretty similar to the PP...but we also make sure that the student is able to be successful with minimal amount of supports. If they need *that* much support in a very supported, small group class, they are NOT ready to be mainstreamed, IMO. However, we also won't put them to the sharks, so to speak, without support of an adult. It will be gradual with a schedule--with the idea that if it turns out to be a bad idea, we can always turn back. So far, the only people who DONT like the transitions we've done are the ones who have an "us" versus "them" attitude between regular ed and special ed. And they'll never change.
acorngirl is offline   Reply With Quote

7more

Thank you
Old 12-26-2011, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you for your answers. I feel it's important to have a good support plan for those students who might need extra support. It saddens me when student's needs aren't met because we don't bother to set up a meeting (Hate meetings just as much as the next guy) to get on the same page. I guess I figured a proactive approach is better than a dump and run. When you have a special ed room with 8 kids and 3 teachers and you put a student who has behavior issues into a class of 30 and one teacher it's challenging especially if the student needs to have a 10-15 minute behavior check list/treats done on them still.
I hope I didn't convey an "us" against "them" attitude. I didn't mean to. Thank you again for you thoughts.

acorngirl

us vs them
Old 12-26-2011, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I wasnt trying to say that you were. I was truly thinking about some specific older fuddy duddies in my building who really do think of special educators as less than them, who think that we're just glorified assistants. Sorry if that's what you thought!

acorngirl is offline   Reply With Quote

7more

No
Old 12-26-2011, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You are NOT a glorified assistant!!!! You have good suggestions and make a difference in student's lives. While I don't know you, you don't sound like a dump and run kind of gal.

ang6073

In my school...
Old 12-27-2011, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

decisions like this would be made together as a team. There would be a lot of talk beforehand about what the student needs and how they can best be supported. The IEP would need to be rewritten for the change of placement and new goals would probably need to be written. So the sped teacher, gen ed teacher, and parents would all be there together to talk about the new plan. Where you given a copy of the student's Accommodation page from the IEP?
ang6073 is offline   Reply With Quote

7more

You would think
Old 12-27-2011, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

that decisions this important should have a procedure but for some reason the ED program doesn't seem to follow them. Special Ed follows them. IEPs are made , parents come to meetings and the regular ed teacher is all a part of that process. Many times we will get less than a days notice that a special needs student will be placed into reg. ed. One day the ED teacher opened the door and push the student in the room and said, "He's ready to be in your room today." and then left. The reg. ed teacher had no supplies for him, no seat, and no help. (Keep in mind that makes 31 students in her class and 7 in the ed room with 3 teachers)

Last edited by 7more; 12-27-2011 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: added more info