Help! Need assistance with Self-Contained daily planning! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Special Education

Help! Need assistance with Self-Contained daily planning!

>

2kdznme

Help! Need assistance with Self-Contained daily planning!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello! I need assistance in trying to figure out how to plan my day and write plans...I currently teach a 2nd-3rd Grade Self-Contained class. I am told I need to "raise the rigor" and rewrite lesson plans to show more small grouping...Can anyone share with me how they plan their day and incorporate smaller groups? ughhhh...I don't even know how to reconfigure my plans to show this...I have 2 paras, but often I spend more time trying to direct them than my students!
Thanks!

2kdznme is offline   Reply With Quote

leslier

small groups
Old 03-03-2013, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do not teach self-contained, but I would definitely get the para's teaching small group leveled reading. I would have them do the same thing every day with a 1 2 3 list. The only thing that changes is the books. I would give them timers and keep them on a schedule. I would try to instil confidence in them. They will hopefully fall into place.
leslier is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 03-03-2013, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

what is it, March? I'm just now figuring out something...tonight...I just did it.

I only have resource, but here's what I'm doing.

I'm going to have 3 groups. One with me doing the intervention lessons based off the Common Core and our basal.

With the para, she is going to do the IEP objectives adn the other kids can do playdoh spelling, grammar, puzzles, etc.

The other group will be on the computers doing Earobics. I use a website called Fav 7 and my 1st graders know how to get to it and use the other websites.

I've also decided that students must take 2 AR tests a week. One test on a book they choose, and the other test on the basal story we read in class. They will do this after Earobics is over.

I've allotted 30 minutes for each station.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Olive Oil

Groupings
Old 04-10-2013, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hello 2kdzme's,

I have struggled with student groupings in the past. My recommendation is to look at two books: The Daily 5 and Cafe. There is a room called the Peony Room that is great. From there you will get a better grasp of how you can group your students for any type of instruction. Although the books focus on literacy once you have established the routines, any subject matter can be slotted in.
Good luck.
Olive Oil is offline   Reply With Quote

AuburnGal

Great resource!
Old 05-03-2013, 05:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Let me suggest that you take a look at TheAutismHelper.com - check out her blog! She teaches a self-contained class for kiddos with Autism, but even if you don't have kids with that diagnosis I'm sure the same strategies will work. She has tons of videos that show how she has set up her room, and how each "station" works. Her paras run some of them, but they are all small groups. Her post yesterday includes info on how to keep your paras on track (give them specific guidelines for each chunk of time during the day)! She has really helped me a lot!

AuburnGal is offline   Reply With Quote