Help

Special Education

Low I.Q.----HELP!!!

>

1YankeeFan

Low I.Q.----HELP!!!
Old 03-23-2015, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do you have any suggestions to help a student who will no longer qualify for special education because he is working to his potential due to his low I.Q.? I am his regular classroom teacher.

1YankeeFan is offline   Reply With Quote

lovingsped

Old 03-23-2015, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hmmm, I am assuming the student's IQ is above 70 or he would qualify under cognitive disability. And I am assuming that there are no social emotional or behavior issues (at this time).
Does your school do RTI? If the student responds to academic interventions with improvements you keep up the intervention. If the student does not respond to intervention in many districts this qualifies as a Learning Disability (in the absence of an IQ below 70).

Is the student keeping up with your regular garden variety differentiation or is he falling more and more behind?
lovingsped is offline   Reply With Quote

puzzlemom

I am confused
Old 03-23-2015, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

How does a child not qualify for special education "because of having too low of an IQ"? That would be the reason why s/he would qualify.
puzzlemom is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

to puzzlemom,
Old 03-23-2015, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If the school still uses a Discrepancy model, a child with a low IQ who consistently works up to or beyond the anticipated level for that IQ, would not be eligible for SpEd services.

This generally occurs with students of lower IQ who are highly motivated or have great support at home. They learn great adaptive skills that enable them to perform above their actual level but not yet at grade level...

The discrepancy model is not the preferred method now in most schools.

OP, I didn't mean to threadjack, I was just trying to help puzzlemom understand. I don't have any suggestions right now other than those listed in the other response.

Last edited by whatever; 03-24-2015 at 06:28 AM.. Reason: clarification
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 03-23-2015, 07:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I know you're asking for ways to actually help this child in the gen ed classroom, versus trying to figure out why he doesn't qualify. But I'm going to make some assumptions to help me contextualize this: your district probably requires a near-average cognitive level for SLD (whether you use discrepancy or not), and he was probably between 70 and 80/85 or so when they tested him (hence not qualifying for ID), and he probably was previously qualified under DD with a delay in cognition and maybe something else (hence the no longer qualifying part). Because of this assumption, I'm going to also assume he's young- perhaps 6/7 or 8/9 (depending on how long your district allows DD as a category). (I could be way off, but this makes sense to me, based on what you've said).

That's a tough situation, because this child has been receiving specially designed instruction, and is now not receiving that level of support. Kids with this profile tend to need a lot of repetition and a slower pace of instruction. Does your school have any high level intervention support he can utilize? Any computer programs that would support his level in reading/math? Differentiation would be really important, of course. Getting his current levels from his sped teacher would be helpful in understanding where he is functioning to give you an idea of where his skills fall and where he needs work. Any sort of programs you have access to that allow for some reinforcement of basic skills might be helpful, in addition to the normal instruction.

GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

1YankeeFan

Thank you!
Old 03-24-2015, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The student's I.Q. is not low enough to qualify, but low enough where he is not able to access the third grade curriculum with success. What intervention programs have you found doable and effective, particularly for math? Thank you for all your help.
1YankeeFan is offline   Reply With Quote