Special Education

ED student just wants mom

>

!?help!

!?help!

ED student just wants mom
Old 02-14-2015, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach a self-contained class and have an emotionally disturbed first-grader.

Since coming to my room about 20 weeks ago, our data shows that 90 percent of the child's physically violent incidents happen when he is on break, when no demands are made of him.

These incidents started happening after mom made a med change about a month into his placement here.

He literally will be sitting by himself doing a puzzle or playing on the computer (his preferred choices) and will start screaming that he wants his mom and start destroying the room.

He demands that we call his mom so he can be sent home. He WAS sent home at his previous placement. Mom has acknowledged that he has extreme separation anxiety from her. We do the best we can to deal with it at school (social stories, pictures of mom, etc.). As far as I know the parents have not addressed the separation anxiety at home.

Home is reportedly very violent. The parents are convinced he had autism or a cognitive impairment. None of the district's testing bears that out and he has yet to receive a private medical diagnosis.

I don't see autism or a cognitive impairment either. There is a significant speech issue and his official diagnosis is specific learning disability (dyslexia). He also misses/has missed a significant amount of school and is very behind academically. Generally in our area the official ED diagnosis is not given until 3rd grade.

Oh and as unprofessional as this sounds, as my aides and I get to know this child better, we are seeing a lot of "faking" of behavior. Crying without tears, screaming that people are hurting him when no one is touching him, etc.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm the last stop before an out of district placement which I do not think is going to happen.

My classroom is structured around the principles of ABA therapy (most of my students DO have autism), but like I said his one true motivator is being home with mom and we bend over backwards to find and do activities that are reinforcing for him.

Thanks in advance for any help.

leslier

ED Student
Old 02-15-2015, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This sounds a lot like a 1st grade student I had that was just placed ED self-contained. We have limitations at school, face that first. Continue to collect all of the data and in different ways. Does he get SPED Therapy provided by the district? When I gave my student work to do at his desk by himself without any interaction with other students or teachers, he did best. The problem is that he was missing the instruction, but it was decided that maintaining calm behavior was more important. Is the parent supportive? We put" Shared Responsibility" into the crisis plan part of the Behavior Plan which required Mom to come in and sit with him in class and help him throughout the day as we really couldn't handle him and the significant acting out with aggressive behavior and we could not send him home. This achieved shared responsibility from the parent and got her to become more committed to solving the problems. The student is now in a small behavior class with strict rules and I hear he is doing better. It's not an easy road.
leslier is offline   Reply With Quote
!?help!

!?help!

Thank you
Old 02-16-2015, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for your suggestions. You are right about keeping him calm being most important. Sometimes I have to take a step back and consider what we are capable of doing at school.

Mom is very hit or miss. Sometimes she answers/returns phone calls or email, sometimes not. Everything is not her son's fault. She has actually told us her son is "playing" us with some of the behavior.

My student actually does better when he is working 1:1 with an adult. I may put more of that in his schedule.

StormGlass

The Things We Try
Old 07-14-2016, 03:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Seriously, it is so hit or miss with some kids and it's so frustrating!

Does mom work? I agree with above that having a shared responsibility plan might be great. If she can't physically come in, maybe she can give him a stuffed animal that he only takes out when he's having a tough time and needs that break. Possibly even a phone call or skype with mom midday would be something he'd benefit from.

Seems to me that students rarely say WHAT they're actually upset about when they act out and it becomes an incredibly frustrating, yet sometimes rewarding later, guessing game for the teacher.

Some one on one while he has his free time might also be a solution. ** Such as an aid sitting nearby or making it his time to play a game with a classmate of his choice? **

Best luck!
StormGlass is offline   Reply With Quote