Help

Special Education

Worried about layoffs

>

theroad

Worried about layoffs
Old 12-13-2016, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey everyone - this is a tough question to answer I know but wanted to get some opinions/thoughts. I am a third year teacher in a district that had staff cuts last year. We lost one SLP and one OT. Earlier this year, we hired two new special education teachers due to the large numbers of students we received from EI. Neither teacher worked out and so the caseloads for the younger grades were "reallocated" to accommodate the loss.

Now, we will be facing more staff cuts for next year. I am single, own my own home and need to go back to school within the next two years to maintain my license. I am petrified I will be cut as before I was hired, my position covered two grade levels and now it covers one. The other teacher who took over the other grade level has PTS.

I love my district and don't want to leave, however, I feel like I should start looking now if I want to be assured I have a position next fall. There have been hints the cuts will affect special education but nothing definite.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this? How likely is it for a district to cut a special education teacher?

theroad is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 12-13-2016, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How's the job market in your area? If our caseload went down I could definitely see my school cutting a sped position. However, there is a severe shortage of sped teachers in my area, so even if a position was cut it would be fairly easy to find a position elsewhere. Last time my school had a sped opening, we didn't find anyone until a month into the school year, even though we'd starting looking the previous May! If I were in a tighter job market and it was something I was worried about, I'd honestly just straight up ask your admin. Do you have a good relationship with them? I'd just say that I heard worrying rumors about cuts and you don't want to leave, but don't want to be put in a position where you find out too late and it's hard to get another position. Ask if there is a definite cut off date you will be told by (if you have a union, they should know the answer to that question too). If they hint that you have something to worry about or seem wishy-washy, then I'd start getting your resume ready. It's still really early though- when is "job hunting season" in your area? I thought ours started really early and even around here you won't see any positions opened until late February, with most being posted in late March or April. There would be nothing to look for this time of year.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Worried
Old 12-13-2016, 11:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

They most likely have a date in the Spring when they know and tell teachers. It's always good to have your papers and letters ready though.
I've had to go between two schools in the past. Both at .5.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

theroad

Thank you
Old 12-14-2016, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you both. Last year, the budget wasn't voted on until the last week in June, after the school year had ended. We did have some idea that it was going to be related service providers or some aides, but no one knew exactly who until then. The superintendent is trying to start the budget talks earlier this year, so I am hoping I will know soon. However, the hiring season around here for next school year usually does start in March, which is probably when I might have a better idea of what they are considering for "options."

I live near a major metropolitan area with lots of colleges so I am nervous about waiting that long. I did apply to three jobs that need to be immediately filled and one that is a position for next fall.

Wish me luck!

theroad

Old 01-06-2017, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi all -

Just wanted to provide a quick update and thank you again for your feedback.

A former colleague told me about a position that came up in my hometown district, so I applied, got offered the job and accepted! I will be starting in February. I am sad to leave, but my new district is much larger and very rarely makes cuts, so I do feel it's a more ideal place for me to be given my personal living situation. They have many sped programs so there will also be opportunities for me to transfer within different programs if I decide to in a few years. The program I will be teaching in is partial inclusion and very similar to what I have now.

Thanks again for your support!