Help

Special Education

Orton-Gillingham vs. Wilson

>

theroad

Orton-Gillingham vs. Wilson
Old 12-14-2016, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello - Sorry I feel like I've posted here a lot! But thinking someone else could benefit from this too...

I am looking into getting an OG or a Wilson cert. I was wondering if one was held in higher esteem than the other? Or if there are other programs out there that are less expensive and just as effective? I currently use an OG-based curriculum (meaning multisensory) in my reading groups, but it seems schools are looking for a cert.

Any insight would be appreciated!

theroad is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

Wilson based on OG
Old 12-14-2016, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In my area, no one cares which one.

I an Wilson certified, and I think it's easier than OG.

Most schools here only care that you have a certification but don't care which.

I find Wilson has great support.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

theroad

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2016, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for your feedback - I think I'm going to go with Wilson. As a newer teacher, I can use all the support I can get. During my student teaching, we used Wilson Fundations during RTI, I am assuming they have similar curriculum support for special education classrooms?
theroad is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

Yes
Old 12-16-2016, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The practical for the Wilson cert was a full year, and you need a student with parent permission, to work with. My practicum student increased over 3 grade levels!
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 12-16-2016, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

How much does the Wilson certification cost? Do you get any graduate credits for it? In my first district my director went to the real OG training herself and then was supposedly going to train us based on what she learned. It was a half day training and she was kind of an idiot, so I'm sure I missed tons. Apparently that was the "first half" and she was going to teach us the second half later, which never happened. I looked into going to the real classes myself, thinking it would be good information and I'd earn some graduate credits towards a salary scale bump. That was before I realized just the introductory class is something like $2000 and you only get 2 credits for it. I'm not willing to spend that much of my own money on something like that! Is Wilson any cheaper?

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Orton or Wilson
Old 01-06-2017, 08:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

One of my school districts sent all of their special ed staff to Orton training. I went to it, finished it and used it successfully. We didn't need to pay for it ourselves and they provided the subs. It lasted six weeks, plus a follow-up training to see how it was going. We also went to schools to observe it being used with kids and were able to ask questions from those teachers.
We were given the materials to use it and had to make some too. We didn't get all of the available materials though. Im sure it all cost a lot.
I've been to many workshops especially for special ed. I've been told that Wilson is the same type of program but is much less expensive and easier to train others because Wilson doesn't have as much as Orton does. I'm glad I have the Orton training. If you have a choice, I'd get that. If you have to pay for it yourself, definitely go with Wilson because it is less expensive and takes a shorter time to learn. But research has proven Orton-Gillingham to work a lot better than Wilson. But Wilson gets good results too.
In my experience, I was able to get two 6th grade boys from DC to understand what reading was and became readers in one year. They came to me as complete non-readers. One didn't even understand that the letters made different sounds and the sounds made words when blended together. He was told that and practiced it a lot. Then one day, it just became clear! He told me you mean these letters....and then he couldn't stop smiling!
Priceless
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote