Special Education

Autism Conundrum

>

IDTeacher27

Autism Conundrum
Old 01-30-2017, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello All,

I am just absolutely perplexed with a student I have, who has Autism. He is extremely bright and enjoys school. However, he will not do anything without prompting. This student needs to be prompted for using the restroom, getting up off the toilet, wiping, washing hands ect. It took just over 1 year to get him to put his lunch box away without specific prompts. We have tried the timer as well as visuals but nothing seems to be working. If you have some ideas throw them my way and I will give them a shot!

Thanks so much!

IDTeacher27 is offline   Reply With Quote

theroad

Old 01-30-2017, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I know you said you use visuals, but does that include the use of a visual schedule as well? How old is the student? I had a second grader with a similar profile and we found that when he was in his gen. ed class for reading centers, it was helpful for him to have his own personal "time timer" (the mini one with the red disc) paired with a visual schedule with pictures of each center. The visual schedule had two columns - one that showed a real picture of each center on the right, and then on the left, was room for him to check off when he completed each center. Because the gen. ed teacher had students start on different centers each day, we made it interactive, and each center picture had a velcro backing so it could be repositioned each day. He knew each center was 20 minutes long, so we taught him to set his timer to 20 minutes at the beginning of each rotation.

Regarding the prompting - try to use more physical and gestural prompts as these are more easy to fade. Verbal prompts are the hardest to fade. The autismhelper.com has a great blog post on prompt hierarchy and how/when to fade prompts.
theroad is offline   Reply With Quote

IDTeacher27

RE: Theroad
Old 01-30-2017, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you so much for the ideas. I will attempt them with this student! This student is a 7th grader. The visuals were a visual organizer that shows the steps of using the bathroom. They used a time timer with him for the restroom, however he didn't respond, he just sat there. However, if they are put together there is maybe a cue that was missing with just one of them.

Thank you for the website, it seems to be a great resource! I have saved it for the future!
IDTeacher27 is offline   Reply With Quote