Special Education

ld kiddo

>

5th grader

5th grader

ld kiddo
Old 02-20-2008, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have an ld student (5th grade) who is STRUGGLING with school. He is a very low student...right now i am actually doing shadow reading with him to try to start pacing him with reading becuase he reads very slowly. He goes to a resource teacher daily for about on hour.

While writing, he almost without fail forgets to write the last letter of the word or the last two letters...I am wondering if I should even correct him or just ignore it? is there anything that I could do without frustrating him too much? I hav heard that add causes that, but I am pretty sure he does not have that. He is a very quiet student, does not make trouble, and can pay attention...so I am not really sure?
If anyone has advice Id really appreciate it

leslier

Ld
Old 02-23-2008, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If he is a Resource student, talk to his teacher to find out more info about his diagnosis. It's not uncommon to find kids that are mildly mentally disabled that are placed as LD. He may be globally delayed. He may very well be ADD and overmedicated. Can the resource teacher provide you with independent work he can do in class that would be on his level? I just bet if you ask the resource teacher in 1 hour/day is enough help for him, you will get a response. Can you group him with other students to do choral reading? If he is already in 5th grade, he must have a lot of history to see what has worked and what has not in the past. Meet with the parents and don't forget to ask the student what works for him. We often seem to talk around kids and forget to ask them what's up.
leslier is offline   Reply With Quote