Help

The VENT

I'm failing! And need help!

>

Lady Teacher

I'm failing! And need help!
Old 03-01-2018, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So, I have a challenging class. I have no idea what to do because I am failing them. I have one student that has missed 17 full days of school. 11 half days and has been tardy 12 times. He didn't even begin the year with me! He came in mid October. He is reading at a first grade level in 4th grade! He is supposed to be tested by the team but they are seriously considering dropping the testing because of his absences. He is out again today after missing all of last week and three days the previous week!

I have another student that is also reading at a first grade level. She does nothing all day. If you get her started on problem number one and walk away to work with someone else, she sits and does nothing. She can barely spell her own name.

My third student has an IEP with no academic goals. However, it's all social emotional stuff. I told her family that she doesn't have any academic goals and I can't really give her all of the million accommodations they want her to have unless her IEP changes.

I have no idea how to help these kids. I don't even know where to begin. I have never had kids that have so much learned helplessness and I just don't know what to do. Any suggestions that you can offer are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Lady Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Constant Absences
Old 03-01-2018, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The child who has constant absences is not your problem. Your principal, social services, school counselor, school psychologist, etc. should be dealing with this child's truancy. I would make sure they are notified each time this child is absent...every one of these people and anyone else you can think of...via email first thing in the morning.

This team should be contacting the parents, going to the home to get the child if necessary, calling the home to speak to parents, etc. every time this child is late or absent.

I can understand why this child does not want to come to school. It must be very difficult to be so far behind and to have your peers know this is the case. It cannot be good for this child's self-esteem.

You mentioned there is a team of people considering not testing him because of his constant absences. What this team needs to do is figure out why the child is not attending, and work forward from there.

I hope things improve.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

jeanmary

Old 03-01-2018, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I had a similar class last year. There is only so much you can do. I had a child who also had many absences. The P and the social worker did a home visit. Mom did not even let them in. Child wound up moving away over the summer blaming the school of course we did nothing for her child! Donít beat yourself Up, there is only so much that you can do.
jeanmary is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Failing
Old 03-01-2018, 08:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You are not failing. You've done it all right and admin is dropping the ball. Take care of the rest of the children in your class.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

SpedinTx

Old 03-02-2018, 06:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree the first child is an attendance issue that needs to be reported every time the child is absent.

The second student needs to be tested for special education. Once a student get several grade levels behind they tend to prefer to just sit there, as its better for their ego to be considered lazy rather than stupid by the other students.

The third child can by Texas law, and I assume many other states, the student may have additional accommodations or modifications above and beyond the IEP as long as you notate them. You as a teacher can request a meeting with the special education teacher to discuss the possibility of adding goals. Adding goals is a simple amendment issue.

SpedinTx is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcee

Same here
Old 03-10-2018, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yes, the child who doesn't come to school is what we call a "habitual truant". Parents are contacted, they eventually go to the local attendance review board, and even to court--it can be considered child neglect in some extreme cases. Let the district's truancy officer handle it. Just make sure to document every day the child misses school.

Agree with SpedInTx about the other two. In some cases, though, the SpEd teachers try to force accommodations that the classroom teacher cannot handle, but which are completely reasonable in a class of 6 kids. It's unrealistic, for example, for one child to receive a behavior token every 3 minutes, one child every 6 minutes, and one child every 10 minutes in a classroom of 30+ kids. Behavior plans are a very different issue that, IMHO, needs to be addressed by our society as a whole. But that's another rant for another post!
Marcee is offline   Reply With Quote