Help

Classroom Management

Help! 9th graders!

>

MrsFrazzled

Help! 9th graders!
Old 08-14-2018, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was completely blind sided this year. Iíve taught two different science classes the past 3 years and thought I was going to be teaching them again. I asked to pick up another science class since we had a teacher retiring and I really wanted to teach it.

Well I am teaching that new science subject and another new one. (I found this out 4 days before students started back) Iím not teaching any science that Iíve taught the past 3 years that I worked so hard to build the curriculum for, but I will digress.

So now Iím teaching 9th grade for the first time ever. I hate it. If I had taught them my first year, Iím certain that I would no longer be teaching. I have a class of 28 that is driving me insane. They are so disruptive and immature. Over half the class tries to be the class clown. They ask stupid questions just to be funny. I can barely get through a lesson.

Iíll admit that my weakest point is classroom management. I know I need to improve in this area. Iím losing my mind. I donít want to just yell or be outright mean but I have to do something. Iím going to try giving break detention and maybe calling parents.

Iíve heard that you have to be ďfirm but niceĒ but what does that even mean? Iíve tried being nice. Iíve tried reasoning with them and it has gotten me no where.

I thought since they were coming from the middle school and being thrown in with the bigger kids that they might start out kind of timid but oh no! They fear nothing.

Iím asking for any advice.

MrsFrazzled is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsPhysics

I donít especially love 9th
Old 08-15-2018, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

They seem so immature compared to the other HS grades. I didnít have any last year, but Iíll have a couple of classes of them again this year.

Basically they need to grow up, so anything you can do to help that along is good. Are there any class privileges you can think of that you would normally give the upperclassmen that maybe you could use as incentive for more mature behavior? My mind is blanking now but as a small example mature students can take the restroom pass whenever they need to without asking. Maybe having a few quick class discussions about not acting like they are still in middle school, having them write down an immature behavior that they would each like to work on changing and then checking their progress, or even having a class-wide incentive like a few minutes of free time at the end of the period or a game on Friday...

But I would definitely advise you to make a few phone calls to parents. Choose 3-4 who are ringleaders (at least one boy and one girl if you can) and get the parents on their side. I wouldnít say that kids that age are usually scared of their parents, but they know they hold the purse strings and also have the ability to stop them from socializing. Word should get out pretty quickly that youíre calling home.
MrsPhysics is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Classroom management
Old 08-15-2018, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Here are some YouTube videos:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pgk-719mTxM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RTnZy3jDDx0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=geLvLd3uosk&t=1656s

Check them out. Real life ninth graders with their teacher in the first week of school.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

Fenwick

Old 08-16-2018, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

At what times and what activities do disruptions seem to be most frequent? For example, how about entering the room? How about during guided practice when students are working and you are available to help? What about transitions? Also, what are you doing during these times?
Fenwick is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsFrazzled

Fenwick
Old 08-16-2018, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

They are disruptive the whole block. I canít get them to quiet down for more than a few minutes at a time. I am constantly walking around. If I am helping one student and turn my back for 30 seconds, students on the other side of the classroom are off task. Then I walk over there to get those on task and the other side of the room is off task.

Also, they either hate each other or they are best friends.
This week I made them all change seats so that they sat boy girl boy girl and that didnít really seem to help. I tried to move the problem people away from each other and then others became problems.

Itís a nightmare.

Fenwick

Old 08-16-2018, 10:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What is your procedure for students entering the room?

MrsFrazzled

Fenwick
Old 08-19-2018, 11:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

They are to come in, go to their seat, and get started on the daily bellringer. They have a bellringer everyday. Itís just a few questions to review what we covered the day before.

Most will do all that, but some do not. Iíll admit that I need to be more real with the consequences when they donít. I am marking them tardy if they are out of their seat when the tardy bell rings. When they get 6 tardies, we can write them up.

teabreak

9th graders
Old 08-19-2018, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I love working with 9th graders. I may be weird, but I think they are amazing! I am going on nearly 15 years of working with them.

Quote:
Also, they either hate each other or they are best friends.
This week I made them all change seats so that they sat boy girl boy girl and that didnít really seem to help. I tried to move the problem people away from each other and then others became problems.
This.....this is normal and will happen until they are ready to advance to the next level. Can't get out of this one!!

My advice would be to have a very structured class with succinct consequences either positive or negative. Don't stray from the structure if at all possible. You do that and they turn on you! Have fun with them. If one of the students has an idea they want to share, let them. It makes them feel validated and listened to. These are kids who desperately want to be different yet not different.

You may need them to work for a tangible reward at first. Mine worked for 20 minutes of free time every other Friday. It was amazing to see them work. They had to be a certain percentage as a class to earn the time and most will keep each other in line.

"Being firm but nice" . Well, this is where you might say something like, "Teabreak, you haven't turned in your homework for 3 days now. I would like you to stay after class for a minute to discuss what I can do to help you get this done and turned in. I like you, but don't want to be forced to like you in Freshman English again next year." Something like that.

Remember, these are the kids that still think bodily functions, such as farting, are hysterical, but are morbidly appalled if you mention a hang nail. Good luck and hopefully you enjoy them soon
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 08-19-2018, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

How they enter the room is crucial to set the tone for the rest of the class. You said what they are expected to do when they enter, but that's just part of it. The rest of the question is, what do YOU do? In other words, how do they KNOW you really EXPECT them to do this?

MrsFrazzled

Old 08-20-2018, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Tea break, thanks. I will take you advice into consideration. I have thought about trying to get them to work for a reward such as free time.

Apple Annie, Iím supposed to be in the hall between class changes which makes this all the more difficult. Iím at a busy intersection in front of a bathroom where fights are know to happen so I need to be outside watching the halls. Iíve been standing halfway in the doorway that way I can watch them in my class and those in the hall. I marked students out of their seat when the bell rang today and I gave them fair warning.

Fenwick

Old 08-20-2018, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Good to see you have structured entering the room; an attribute of effective management. Consider besides review adding conundrums, Plexers, etc. - anything to get minds going but easy on you. I had a "carrot" problem - silly conundrum. If they got it correct they won a carrot (I taped a carrot to the board above the problem for effect). Point being some students may not hustle to seat because they associate review with work, a four-letter word. If you can come up with an incentive to answer question, "Why should I?", for immature types you won't have to react with tardies.

MrsFrazzled

Teabreak
Old 08-21-2018, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Teabreak, I honestly donít know how you love 9th graders. I hate them. If I could, Iíd quit my job right now. Iíve enjoyed teaching 10th grade and up the past 3 years and was looking forward to the same this year. And now I dread going to work. The immaturity is killing me. I donít relate to these kids at all. Iím not a bubbly person and Iím not really the type that jokes with students. Iím not an entertainer so I dont act like one.

I donít know how I will make it through the semester much less the year.

apple annie

Old 08-21-2018, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Hey Mrs. Frazzled, I went back and reread my post to you and thought I sounded a little snippy. I apologize for that. The last thing you need right now is feeling like others are piling on or like youíre being judged. Itís a tough enough job as it is.

MrsFrazzled

Apple annie
Old 08-21-2018, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

You donít need to apologize. I didnít think you were snippy. I do want and desperately need all the advice I can get. Iím struggling right now and Iím mad and disappointed at myself for failing at this.