Help

Teachers' Lounge

Saturday Survey:)

>

Mhiag

Saturday Survey:)
Old 02-16-2019, 01:29 AM

1. What “famous” people have you met?
2. How many snow/bad weather days have you had this year since August/September?
3. If you were to repaint the walls in your home, what colors would you choose?
4. If you were to start your own business, what kind would it be?

Mhiag is offline   Reply With Quote

bandmom

Old 02-16-2019, 02:24 AM

1. I've met professional athletes (Browns and Indians players and coaches) and locally famous people who are TV anchors and sports announcers. They send/sent their kids to our school. I'm hoping that the very talented theatre friends of my children will be famous one day so I can say I knew them when!

2. We've had 3 weather days this year - one due to snow and two from the extreme cold of a few weeks ago.

3. I honestly like the colors I have now. They're totally not on trend but so what.

4. I don't know! Maybe a tea room with a small bakery?
bandmom is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 02-16-2019, 03:14 AM

I met Alex Haley (author of Roots on the plane when going home from Ghana in 1976.

2. How many snow/bad weather days have you had this year since August/September?
I'm retired, so I don't keep track. I'll just say too many.

I just painted this summer, and I like the colors, so I might keep them the same. Office and guest room are gray; living room and bedroom are yellow/gold. I might use a sunnier shade of yellow in the living room...and I wouldn't mind a light blue in the bedroom, if I needed a change.

I am far too lazy to start my own business! But if I did, it would be a tutoring business. Boring, I know, but I still enjoy teaching!
lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

TeacherMeg

Old 02-16-2019, 03:46 AM

1. I met the family from the show Honey Boo Boo one time. I know you’re jealous.

2. We’ve had 5 bad weather days this year - 4 hurricane days and 1 day when we had a ton of flooding due to lots to rain.

3. I’d love to add some gray neutral shades and maybe some blues and greens.

4. I have no idea. I’m sure it would involve kids- tutoring, summer camp, maybe some sort of club.
TeacherMeg is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Survey
Old 02-16-2019, 04:43 AM

1. Partridge Family Danny. He was an A$$.

2. We don’t have snow days, but it’s rained a lot!

3. I like my wall colors. I’d do the same.

4. Not interested

arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 02-16-2019, 04:49 AM

1. Crazy that I’ve met a lot but all decades ago. Rita Hayworth when our families stayed at the same inn at Lake Placid, NY during Christmas back in the 60’s. In Boston in the 70’s- actor Eddie Albert (hotel), talk show host Virginia Graham (airport), Bruins players Phil Esposito and Derek Anderson (practice game). Artist Louise Nevelson at a summer program I attended as a teen at the Rhode Island School of Design in 1971. Malcom X’s wife Betty Shabazz at a presentation she gave which I interpreted for at a California college back in the late 80’s.

What’s hilarious is I live near and frequent many of the same stores/restaurants as George Strait and several Spurs players for over 20 years and have never run into them. There are times I could use someone tall like Tim Duncan at grocery store to get something off the top shelf!

2. My district has had 0.

3. I do want to repaint a few rooms in the house. Learning towards shades of cream, sage, and yellow for 3 different rooms.

4. I’d start a home based mail order dog biscuit company. I make them for my dog, and for the dogs of family and friends and they are a hit. I’ve baked my own dog biscuits for about 30 years. Got the original recipes from our then veterinarian. I found it relaxing to bake them and just continued. It was one way I destressed when teaching!
ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 02-16-2019, 05:13 AM

I have met a lot of musicians, authors, random actors, and a few politicians. My most memorable was meeting Sandra Day O’Connor.

7 or 8 maybe?

we have recently repainted. I have deep red, two shades of dark gray, a light gray, blue, navy, and gold. Oh, and some white.

I really want to have either an event planning service or a organizing service. I’d love setting up classrooms for people.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 02-16-2019, 05:20 AM

1. Because I live in a smallish town in New Hampshire anyone whoever thinks they might possibly want to run for president comes here early and often and you can meet them in our diners, on our side sidewalks, on our Town Square, in people's homes and see them speak at our high school.
A bunch will be in the state today :-)

2. 4

3. I have been putting off painting but really need to. Part of the problem is I can't decide what colors. I have a 100 year old house with that dark brown/ orange woodwork that I'm not a fan of ,
but I am not allowed to paint white

4. Idk
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Czechgirl

Survey
Old 02-16-2019, 05:35 AM

1. What “famous” people have you met? I have not.My son, though, is a chef at Nobu’s in Dallas and has several A and B listers. It’s always fun to get a call to hear about who he just met.

2. How many snow/bad weather days have you had this year since August/September? None. We live in Texas.

3. If you were to repaint the walls in your home, what colors would you choose? I would need an expert opinion on that. When my husband flipped the house we chose to live in, all the trimming is in cedar so we left it with it’s natural color. We have white walls. I’m not sure what other color would contrast well with the natural wood trimming.

4. If you were to start your own business, what kind would it be? a Czech kolache bakery
Czechgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Old 02-16-2019, 05:42 AM

1. Leif Garrett (70's singer) & Lance Moore (Saints football) - both extremely nice

2. 0

3. tan

4. editing (but I'd want to do it from home or while out traveling)

SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 02-16-2019, 05:43 AM

1. Living in th L.A. area for my first 40 years, I’ve seen quite a few famous people, shook hands or said hello occasionally, but really met none.
2. Retired, yay.
3. I did repaint within the last year. Thank goodness I like it (grayish whitish) because it will be with me a long time.
4. Not interested in the hassles of a business, thanks—I love retirement too much.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

javamomma

Survey
Old 02-16-2019, 05:44 AM

1. What “famous” people have you met? Bill Clinton

2. How many snow/bad weather days have you had this year since August/September? None

3. If you were to repaint the walls in your home, what colors would you choose? Soft gray

4. If you were to start your own business, what kind would it be? Catering
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

answers
Old 02-16-2019, 05:45 AM

1. Patti Page a singing star of the 50-60's I was a really young kid.
2. Not keeping track...maybe 3.
3. Bathro
om has been purple, pulled from a Monet painting, for about 20? years. Maybe time for a change. Rest of house is just the colors I like.
4. Downsizing/organizing but I'm done working.
mhugs is online now   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Survey
Old 02-16-2019, 07:40 AM

1. John travolta, bill clinton, Hillary Clinton, David duchovny, Julia Roberts, Lea delaria (big boo from orange is the new black).
2. Here in RI we have only had one storm, back in the beginning of December. And it was not that bad. I am retired, but there may have been one early release day so far.
3. Just repainted the entire first floor. Dark grey and moss green.
4. Something I could do from home in my PJ’s...
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Persephone

Sat. Survey
Old 02-16-2019, 07:44 AM

1) Various Authors for we host Author Visits at school and I go to Book Signings at bookstores: Jan Brett, Garrison Keillor
AND poets: Li Young-Lee, Henri Cole, Patricia Smith, Tony Hoagland.

2) 2 Snow Days (and 1 possible this week)...several delayed openings and early dismissals

3) Sunny yellow

4) Arts & Crafts spot with workshops/activities for kids and adults
Persephone is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 02-16-2019, 08:01 AM

1. I've never actually met them, but seen them, some as close as a few feet away. Jermaine Jackson was the only one to say HELLO to me personally when fiance' and I were walking in a mall. I've seen Robert Guillaume, Devon Sawa, Jaime King, Laura Prepon, Brittany and Cynthia Daniel, and notables from musicals I've been to: Christopher Reeve, Christopher Hewett, Sandy Duncan, pro tennis players and figure skaters, and more.

2. Probably a total of 1.5 - 2 wks of rain so far, which there was NONE last fall/winter.

3. Probably a pale bluish-grey color.

4. The easiest brick and mortar business I can think of is a laundromat or self-serve frozen yogurt place.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

famous people
Old 02-16-2019, 08:33 AM

countless. . .Grew up in West Hollywood (different place back then) Mom was a cook for Katherine Hepburn for years. She also cooked for Richard Chamberlain and was in charge of countless famous dinner parties. My dad was maintenance/ gardener for a uber famous producer. Soooo as a child my most exciting encounter was Elton John , Steve McQueen, and standing right next to John Wayne at a funeral. My youngest memories are of my dad attending sports events with Spencer Tracy, chauffeuring (substitute) Elizabeth Taylor to parties, and my mom's comments, " Miss Marilyn can be 2-3 hours late to my dinner party anytime." Yes that would be Marilyn Monroe.

2) Living in the mountains in So CA we get snow but the deluge and snow together this year has made SUPER deep slushy conditions. Many mountain roads will need hard repair. I believe the school district here where I live has had 5-6 snow days this year so far.

3) paint. . . white. . .not sure which tone or shade. I NEED to paint in the near future.

4) video/skype tutoring services for students with dyslexia. ( resource, support for parents, )
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Old 02-16-2019, 08:35 AM

1 - I don't think I've met anyone truly famous. In nerdy teacher circles, I've met pretty famous literacy educators at different conferences, but that doesn't really count.

2 - 2 late starts, 5 snow days

3- Light gray

4 - Reading tutoring, or resume & cover letter writing/editing
WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

Almost forgot
Old 02-16-2019, 08:42 AM

A good friend of mine had " Happy Days" filmed in front of her house (yes the big white house) and " Henry Winkler rode his bike twice down her street with the entire neighborhood watching on the side lines and cheering.. He even did his famous "ey" pose with his thumbs up for us. Afterwards we went inside the house and had dinner with the leading cast except Fonz. Great people except for one who was exceptionally rude. . Great memories.
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 02-16-2019, 08:47 AM

Adding to #1, I was born and lived in L.A. up to age 13 and go back to L.A. for the day as an adult probably about a good once a month (sometimes a bit more or a bit less) and I don't run into celebs as much as you'd think.

I went to a private school with mostly the rich and well off...Richard Thomas' kids. He has triplet daughters and an older son. Other classmates included a radio DJ's kids, siblings of a family who owned a racetrack, etc.

Also seen Mario Lopez filming/hosting his Extra show in a couple of places.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Teacher Meg
Old 02-16-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I met the family from the show Honey Boo Boo one time. I know you’re jealous.

1. What “famous” people have you met? I met Johnny Cash and his whole band once as a child. I met a few has-beens and up-and-comings while working in Branson, MO during and after college back in the day.

2. How many snow/bad weather days have you had this year since August/September? Five so far, I think--we aren't done yet.

3. If you were to repaint the walls in your home, what colors would you choose? We repainted a light grey recently but I don't love it. It is just "good enough." I think it casts a harsher light on everything. I think DH failed to consider undertones. He picked a bluish grey--I would have picked a rosy or purplish silver grey...

4. If you were to start your own business, what kind would it be? Hmm, I am not sure that I would be motivated enough to own my own business.

But, if I had to answer--A greenhouse, nursery or gardening thing of some sort.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Survey
Old 02-16-2019, 08:59 AM

Richard Feynman, the Nobel prize winning physicist. He did drumming on the side and worked on a ballet I worked on. I’m in his biography.

I’m retired, but where I live we never have inclement weather days.

I like my walls. Maybe change the living from from a mildly pinkish shade to....something else. I haven’t thought about it.

Open a book store, with an emphasis on children’s books.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 02-16-2019, 09:49 AM

1. Opera singer Placedo Domingo. I was an extra in a movie with Vince Vaughn and Kevin James and was literally two feet away from them.

2. I don’t work in a traditional school anymore, but the school district in my suburb has had about four snow days.

3. I am perfectly happy with the colors I have, and would not want to change them.

4. I have owned a few businesses. I had a music education business in which I provided band programs and piano lessons for small private schools who could not afford band directors. I also owned a travel agency franchise for a year.

A new venture for me would include getting a theatre and/comedy troupe together and market it for performances at schools, corporate events, and shows at other locations.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 02-16-2019, 09:53 AM

I shook hands with Joe Carter. Toronto Blue Jays fans will be envious.
I'm retired but the school district I worked in just had the first Snow Day since 1991. That's not to say there hasn't been snow since then but school hasn't been cancelled due to snow since then. I wonder if the superintendent paid attention to the huge number of teachers who weren't able to get to school because of the snow. Sure, the kids can get there because they can walk but most of the staff live in neighbouring cities.
Soft colours in pink, green, blue, or grey
I'm toying with starting an Etsy business in projects made from upcycled materials
GreenBunny is online now   Reply With Quote

Sprite

Old 02-16-2019, 10:39 AM

I was 1 day late on meeting Britney Spears back in the early early days of her career. I actually just looked it up it was in July of 2001. When she was at the height of her career. She came to the hospital that I was at with her sister (Jamie Lynn - she was like 10 or 12 probably) and her foundation. She went and met with each patient and was so sweet to them and spent time talking to them and loving on them. It was wonderful.. and I missed it all.

I met the main actress in the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Nia Vardalos, again this was in the height of her career. Me and some friends were at a Greek restaurant and she came in her limo and they were all eating at the table. I was in the restroom and she came in. I remember looking at her and asking her if she was in the big Greek Wedding movie? She said "yes, hahaha can you move out of my way?" What a snot! I was just a teenager (like 15-16).

In Vegas, I saw Montell Williams gambling at the Wynn multiple times. I didn't approach him.

I also met a few local radio personalities.

Three days total. Two of them were for cold weather and 1 of them was for snow.

I would just repaint them the colors they are now. We have like a wheat color on most walls and then have some accent walls. The room I'm in right now which is the TV room is the wheat color on 3 walls and one wall is a pretty medium blue color.

I have so many business ideas...
- An autism clinic
- Restaurant.. tea shop, fondue, sandwich shop
- Music lessons
- Professional organizing

.. lol so many businesses.

--@juliet4 .. You met Julia Roberts?? I love Julia Roberts. How did you meet? I'm so jealous.

--@luvtolearn .. WOW! Your mom and dad has amazing jobs! I would love to have met just one of any of those people. SO COOL!

And all of you that met Bill and Hill!!! Jealous. I'd love to meet The Duchess of Cambridge and Meghan Markle!
Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 02-16-2019, 12:16 PM

1. Patrick Dempsey, Billy Joel, Michelle Pfeiffer, Robert McCloskey, Dan Fogelberg, Tomie Depaola, John Travolta. I climbed trees with Patrick as a kid and just saw him a few weeks ago (posted a pic!). Billy Joel was the best man at a friend of the family's wedding. Michelle Pfeiffer's husband had a brother who used to work with my husband at Service Merchandise. We met her at a Christmas party. I mowed the lawn at Dan Fogelberg's summer house on Deer Isle, same with Robert McCloskey. and Tomie Depaola spoke at my sister in laws college graduation and he mingled after.

2. We have had snow days and about 4 late starts.

3. Gray

4. I always wanted to own a small book store/coffee shop.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 02-16-2019, 12:58 PM

I see famous people around town but I have only met a few. Arnold Schwarzenegger, Ronald Reagan, Sonny and Cher, Kendrick LaMar.

It has rained almost daily the past two weeks and very cold for southern California.

I would like to repaint my dd old room. It's a bright green. She painted it just before she moved out. It is hideous but since I don't use the room, I haven't done anything yet. Like to paint it soft grey.

I would love to open a baked potato bar cafe.
sonoma is online now   Reply With Quote

sisterwoman

Old 02-16-2019, 01:32 PM

Luvtuleatn, which Happy Days cast member was rude? The curiosity is killing me!
sisterwoman is online now   Reply With Quote

sisterwoman

Old 02-16-2019, 01:33 PM

Luvtulearn, which Happy Days cast member was rude? The curiosity is killing me!
sisterwoman is online now   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Keltikmom
Old 02-16-2019, 03:50 PM

I am soooooo jealous! Richard Feynman is my hero!
lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 02-16-2019, 06:13 PM

Hmm... Garth Brooks... I taught the son of a guy who was in 50 First Dates... my daughter grabbed the butt of a guy who used to be on Frasier... I don't know. Maybe more- I don't keep track. Oh wait, yeah, Sam Choy- who's not that famous, but he's been on food reality shows every so often (chef)
Kids have been off for 5 days
I don't have permission topping any walls and the color is fine. I liked the colors in my ol house- neutral with some accent walls
I already did! I don't need any more jobs
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote