Do you stay home when it rains? Does rain affect your plans? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Do you stay home when it rains? Does rain affect your plans?

>

cheerio

Do you stay home when it rains? Does rain affect your plans?
Old 02-16-2019, 09:54 AM

Iím kind of baffled by this. Iíve seen people post stuff like ď I might go out but it might rain so Iíll have to wait and see.Ē
Rain wouldnít stop me from doing errands, going out to eat, movies etc. It would be different of course if my plans were outside but rain doesnít stop my inside plans.

cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 02-16-2019, 09:57 AM

I definitely wouldn't cancel plans with others. I might wait on errands, especially grocery shopping, because I just don't like to get wet...my hair turns into a lion's mane. But if it's not convenient to wait, I would go ahead and do it.
PEPteach is online now   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

Old 02-16-2019, 10:00 AM

depends on where I need to go and the severity of the road conditions. Normally, I don't let it get in the way but if it involves traveling up and down my mountain I try to plan accordingly.
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 02-16-2019, 10:00 AM

i love being out in the rain. it doesnt bother me at all.
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 02-16-2019, 10:06 AM

I’m originally from a sunny part of CA. Rain wouldn’t stop anyone I know from canceling real plans, but postponing errands or just not even having the idea to go anywhere was definitely a thing. Staying home being cozy while watching rain was a treat

It was sunny almost 300 days out of the year (national average is 200), and even non sunny days weren’t necessarily rainy, and rainy days often happened at night. Why go out in the rain if you don’t have to?

When I first moved to Portland area, it took me a while to totally abandon that mindset. I still don’t really like the rain.

Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Bwahaha!
Old 02-16-2019, 10:07 AM

I love to stay in and hate to go out. Hate Shopping. Hate errands. I live in the woods.

I might use it as an excuse but I love rain... I have a huge covered front porch and porch swing. One of my favorite activities is to sit and swing during a storm. Next favorite would be to play in the warm rain with the grands.

DH is undeterred by any weather so it never changes plans we have together.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

bandmom

Old 02-16-2019, 10:09 AM

I'd go as planned unless, as you said, it was an outdoor event. One year when we took our students to Environmental Ed camp, it rained all. three. days. It never. let. up. For two years in a row now that I think about it. We had no choice. Ugh.
bandmom is offline   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 02-16-2019, 10:12 AM

I walk twice a day for 365 days a year. So...I just grab an umbrella and walk in the rain if need be. Getting wet really doesnt bother me unless its very cold but even then it doesnt stop me from walking. Thats how I roll.
MathWA is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

rain
Old 02-16-2019, 10:12 AM

Regular rain doesn't stop me from doing anything like errands or even my daily 6-8 mile walk.

However, here in Southern California when it rains it can (flash)flood very easily because water just tends to run off from the soil that has been baked into hard clay during the long draughts. There have been times when I went into a grocery store while it was raining and would come out to find cars standing in two feet of water on the parking lot. Cars stall out because their air intake gets clogged with water or their engines may even flood. In my area we also have mud slides if it rains more than a day or two in a row, and that will block the roads. So I have to evaluate if it is worth going to the store. So yeah,
Quote:
I might go out but it might rain so Iíll have to wait and see.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 02-16-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
However, here in Southern California when it rains it can (flash)flood very easily because water just tends to run off from the soil that has been baked into hard clay during the long draughts. There have been times when I went into a grocery store while it was raining and would come out to find cars standing in two feet of water on the parking lot. Cars stall out because their air intake gets clogged with water or their engines may even flood. In my area we also have mud slides if it rains more than a day or two in a row, and that will block the roads. So I have to evaluate if it is worth going to the store. So yeah,
This is a good point too. Our infrastructure was also totally unprepared for wet. So the same amount of rain in Oregon is far less inconvenient than it would be where I used to live.

Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 02-16-2019, 10:50 AM

The only thing inside that I prefer not to do in the rain is grocery shopping, so if it's really pouring I might postpone. I don't like dealing with all the wet groceries.

My parents are in their 80's so they no longer go out unless driving conditions are truly ideal. I also know some people with infants/toddlers that don't like to go out in the rain because of transferring into car seats, strollers, etc. Other than that I can't see why people would want to limit themselves.
MKat is online now   Reply With Quote

francie

Yes
Old 02-16-2019, 11:02 AM

Before kids the rain didnt really change our plans. However now that we have a 5 year old who has special needs and requires a wheelchair and a 2 year old, the weather definitely effects our plans.
francie is offline   Reply With Quote

Spedqn1

Depends
Old 02-16-2019, 11:33 AM

If it's summer and my schedule us open, I might not run errands if it's super rainy/storming if I have a different day available to do them and they can wait.

If I have plans with you friends, etc. no.
Spedqn1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 02-16-2019, 12:09 PM

This has always baffled me too. I will say I'm disappointed when I have plans to go out and it's raining, but assuming it's an indoor thing of course I still go. I do know people that will stay in though!
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Katluv

I hate the rain!
Old 02-16-2019, 12:13 PM

I grew up where it rained quite a bit then at age 20 moved to the other side of the state where it doesn't.

When I go back to where I grew up, I get depressed from the rain and gray. when it rains where I live now, we don't do as much at all.
Katluv is online now   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 02-16-2019, 12:25 PM

Most things I do not mind doing in the rain, especially if they don't involve a lot of in and out of the car and like a previous posted said, grocery shopping, especially if I need a lot. I never mind driving in the rain. I do not especially like the way my hair looks if it gets wet in the rain. That is the biggest obstacle for me !

I'm in central FL, so we have a lot of rainy days, especially in the summer.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 02-16-2019, 12:52 PM

I don't go out unless I absolutely have to and then avoid the freeways because people here do not know how to drive in the rain. With the slightest storm there are accidents every where.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 02-16-2019, 01:01 PM

Because I live in California where rain is infrequent (and much needed), we’re not very good drivers in the rain. Also, the streets are not used to water and can become quite slick. I’d rather not drive in the rain.

Sadly (see long explicatory post) my old windows are leaking so I’m definitely staying home in the rain, with fresh towels ready, until I get new windows. I’m not holding my breath.

One good thing: my favorite grocery store has underground parking so I love grocery shopping on rainy days now.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 02-16-2019, 01:02 PM

Rain has never stopped me from doing anything. I donít like to drive at night in the rain because I canít see well. Otherwise, no issue.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

No
Old 02-16-2019, 02:47 PM

We go most places, rain or shine, unless there's a tornado warning. We do stay in if if snows very much because I'm afraid of falling on slick pavement and breaking something.
linda2671 is online now   Reply With Quote

MissTrace

Old 02-16-2019, 02:56 PM

Southern Californian here, and yes I will stay in if I can versus going out in the rain, especially if freeway driving is involved. People can't drive in the rain here! I won't cancel an appointment or plans with friends, but I will avoid running errands if I can.

Also, I have bad knees so slippery surfaces are scary for me. I've slipped in water and dislocated my knee before. So, I don't love to be out in the rain or going in and out of stores where floors get slippery for that reason either.
MissTrace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiki

Rain
Old 02-16-2019, 03:14 PM

Driving, running errands, and grocery shopping in the rain is fine for me. Hiking is challenging and the weather has definitely caused me to cancel several hikes this year. Light rain is fine, but downpours and high humidity in a ledgy area is not fun.
Tiki is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 02-16-2019, 03:19 PM

If I have plans with others I won't cancel because of rain, but if it's just me & DH and it can wait I will wait. I'm a " the rain makes me wet", not a "I feel the rain" girl!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 02-16-2019, 03:19 PM

Western Washington here, so rain doesn't stop anything. In fact when it is "just spittin'" we don't even bother with umbrellas.

Now, snow, even mere inches. causes true distress to most people. The ground can be green with a few flakes in the air, and parents come in all wild-eyed to pick up their students early.
Song of Joy is online now   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Rain
Old 02-16-2019, 04:47 PM

Um, no. Rain? This is New England where the weather changes every five minutes. I have rain boots, several raincoats and an umbrella. Not going to be stuck at home because of rain!
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 02-16-2019, 05:22 PM

If I didn't do stuff when it rained, I'd never do anything all fall/winter/spring

DH won't go walking outside if it's raining. I don't get it- it rarely pours heavy here and almost never with lightning/ thunder.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Staying home when it rains
Old 02-16-2019, 05:40 PM

Funny you should bring this up! DH and I were supposed to go see a comedy show last night. We would have been traveling from a suburb south of San Francisco, through SF and across the Golden Gate Bridge, during Friday commute traffic and some serious rain and wind.

We cancelled.

But, I did go for my walk today I in the rain. If itís not stormy, stormy out, Iíll do errands. But I also like to be cozy at home to listen to the rain.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 02-16-2019, 07:32 PM

I might stay home if I have no errands to do in a timely manner, otherwise, I'll go out but stay around town...NO freeway driving if I really don't have to. In my life these days, I don't have to go anywhere that requires me taking the freeway. I only need to take the freeway to go to fun places for the day.

(Back when I worked in the school, of course since I was already out for work, I'll swing by other places after work in the rain IF I really need to.)
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 02-16-2019, 07:46 PM

We get on average 130 inches of rain each year......I would never leave the house.

Plus you never know, today was blue skies and sunny in the morning, cloudy and rainy around noon, then clear this evening.

I remember getting ready to go for a run when I was on the mainland and my cousin asked why I had my phone in a ziplock bag. I told her, ďbecause it might rainĒ. She looked puzzled and said, ďbut itís not rainingĒ......I had never really realized that some places have rainy days or non-rainy days and the donít have random showers swooping in off the ocean on a sunny day.
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 02-17-2019, 09:12 AM

Not usually. We even still went to a 3 day jazz festival last summer even though the forecast had steady rain in it for much of the weekend. Most of the acts still played and we worked around it.

Also, it seems like there are rarely days where it rains the entire day non stop. When I was growing up, there used to be days like that. Now, it might rain for a couple of hours then stop, then maybe rain again hours later.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 02-18-2019, 11:16 AM

Some people canít see well in rain. Thatís probably it.
knitting987! is online now   Reply With Quote