BusyBoard

Telling them I知 leaving

>

Anon today

Anon today

Telling them I知 leaving
Old 04-19-2019, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone had the awkward conversation with admin about changing schools/getting a new job? I last switched so long ago that I honestly don稚 remember how I handled the conversation...

I知 switching to a school that our admin sees as 田ompetition, so it is sure to be a little tense. But I知 sure they will be kind.

At what point in the spring did you tell admin and how did you phrase it? I知 pretty certain they will ask why I知 choosing to leave (they have with others) and I知 not sure HOW honest I should be about my school concerns...
Or if I should just be vague and avoid the topic.

Keltikmom

Leaving
Old 04-19-2019, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

One thing I have learned here on PT is that there are many different answers to that question.

Is the other school part of your district? If so, won稚 he/she already know you池e leaving? In fact, I assume your P got a phone call from the other school checking your references.

Personally, I think you should tell them now so they can plan to hire someone. Most districts are doing their hiring now....and you値l be giving someone a job.
Not to mention, people are going to figure it out as you start cleaning out your room.

As to admin asking why: legally they can稚 ask you. So if they do, just say 妬t was a personal choice. If it was for obvious reasons like better pay or better position, you could tell them, but only if you feel comfortable. It痴 none of their business.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Anon4now

Anon4now

Old 04-19-2019, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It痴 not in the same district and the new school actually said they would call my other references, rather than the current school admin. They might in the summer though.

Yes, I知 thinking I will let them know next week.

That痴 interesting, I didn稚 realize legally they can稚 ask.

UVAgrl928

Old 04-19-2019, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our county does things a little different- we have to fill out an 妬ntent- so if we池e applying within the county it alerts our admin. HR says it痴 a professional courtesy to let them know you池e trying to transfer. But as Keltikmom mentioned, you do not need to tell them any more than that.

I told mine I was applying at a new school being opened. I actually kept her posted when I interviewed, and it痴 good because the principal popped in to observe me unannounced lol.
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 04-19-2019, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm not so sure that your school is not permitted to ask why you are leaving--but I'm confident that you do not need to answer their questions. If you prefer not to share your actual reasons for leaving (sometimes it's better not to burn bridges), just make sure that you have prepared a bland, vague response. Perhaps, "I'm ready for a change" or "this seems to fit well right now" and be sure to say something complementary, like "I've grown a lot through my work here" or "I'm going to miss this school" or "Thank you for the good years I've had here."

TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-19-2019, 08:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Assuming everything is official at the new district, I'd tell your admin ASAP so they can post your position. I'd be vague and just say you needed a change or were looking for a new challenge. If pressed, I like the, "It was a personal decision," language. I would not be honest about complaints about the school- you don't want to burn bridges you might need later.

I've worked in 3 schools. The first one I loved, but I absolutely hated where I was living. I decided to look for a job in "the city." I sat down with my P and told her how much I appreciated the job and everything about the school, but explained that the location was just a really bad fit for me and I wanted to pursue jobs in places I wanted to live. I was SO nervous, but she was 100% supportive. Unless there is some angle you have here that isn't related to the specific school like this (maybe salary or commute), I'd be vague.

My second school unfortunately turned out to be a dumpster fire. For that one, I simply dropped a letter of resignation to HR. In hindsight, probably not the most professional thing to do even though the situation (and my boss) totally sucked. I'll defend myself by saying I was 24 at the time- what did I know?
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Old 04-20-2019, 04:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If it's within your district, I'd start by looking at the district teacher handbook. Ours has a set date for making a transfer within the district. It also says "due notice in fair time", for any transfer or resignation, so that's pretty vague. To me, that could mean anytime before school is out. Most teacher handbooks are online at your district site, so I'd look there if you don't have a paper copy.

Also, many times principals will call the other school as a courtesy, so you may want to tell your P before the other one does.

You definitely need to do it before your receive your contract.

Just be vague in your reason. Don't say anything negative. That will only fuel the fire and it won't help matters. If your P is competitive, she will already be defensive that you're leaving to work at her competition. I agree with saying something like, "Thanks for all you've taught me through the years (which can entail things that you plan to NOT do ). I'll miss so many people here (doesn't include her if you won't miss her). I'm looking forward to my new adventure."
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Gogogo

I guess it depends on why you are leaving
Old 04-20-2019, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have never heard that it is 妬llegal to ask why someone is keaving a job some districts have exit interviews with HR.

How much to disclose while you are leaving would depend on why and how much the principal could change about it.

My sister taught at a private school and when asked why she was leaving, she was very honest that it was among the lowest paying schools and it was hard for her to make ends meet. She left for a similar private school that paid $5,000 more a year. In the fall, one of her former co-workers called to thank her for being so honest they increased all of the teachers salary by a couple of thousands of dollars.
Gogogo is offline   Reply With Quote

GoodEnough85

As tempting as it may be to share,
Old 04-20-2019, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am also in the camp of "not burning bridges" if at all possible. Tell them as soon as your new position is confirmed.

I told the first as soon as I knew I was leaving as I was also moving. I didn't even have a job lined up yet.

The only other school I've left was a different story. I had quit once in anger. The P talked me out of it at the time so it was not a huge surprise. I waited a few weeks more then went in with my letter of resignation in hand. I was able to speak calmly by then.

I told them that I had not changed my mind but would be ending my employment at the end of the school year. But I reframed it as giving them ample notice to get the best of the incoming applicants.
GoodEnough85 is offline   Reply With Quote