I just found out I'm the first African American teacher to ever work in the district - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

I just found out I'm the first African American teacher to ever work in the district

>

Shuri

I just found out I'm the first African American teacher to ever work in the district
Old 04-30-2019, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I posted earlier about being non-renewed and what not. But my union president told me I am the only African American to be employed as a teacher here since the district existed. One black guy was an SRO and the other black guy was in charge of in school suspension and was an aid.

Sooooooo... is that weird? This district has been around since the 1950's, and I got hired at the beginning of the 2017-2018 school year. Everyone I talked to about this thinks that's weird. Is it weird? A co-worker who has been here for 20 years said that she's never seen a black teacher interviewed but also thinks we don't apply because it's a majority white farm town. But all the majority white districts around us have black teachers, including the one I graduated from which is only 15 minutes away.

Not trying to start anything, but I am genuinely curious if anyone finds that odd. I'm only in my 6th year teaching.

Shuri is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 04-30-2019, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I find that odd. Are there other teachers of color? I worked in a rural farm district, and it was not a diverse staff. But we were close to a major, urban district that could pay a lot more and a lot of people went there instead. We still were able to hire some people though.

But 50+ years and you're the first one? That is truly strange.
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tsy2013

Old 04-30-2019, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If. One apply how is that strange? A district can not force someone to apply.
Tsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

just a thought
Old 04-30-2019, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You said that they really didn't give you a reason for the non renewal. If you wanted to stay, you probably have a strong discrimination argument.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Shuri

Old 04-30-2019, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I didn't say only one applied. I don't know who all has. But she doesn't think any have applied except me.

GraceKrispy

Old 04-30-2019, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I also think that's pretty weird. What are the demographics of the student population? Is the union president implying that there is some discrimination going on with your non-renewal?

Love your user name by the way! I don't know if this is what you intended, but she's my favorite character from Black Panther (one of my favorite movies)
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

Shuri

Old 04-30-2019, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The student population is 6% minority, the rest white. I think he implied it a bit, but all he said is the district looks really bad in this.

And yeah, it was based on her lol. I love Shuri!

cruxian

Old 04-30-2019, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I find it odd. I can't imagine it where i live. We have a diverse student population and, while our teaching demographics don't truly reflect the diversity of our student body, the teachers do represent a variety of backgrounds both in their economic and ethnic backgrounds.
Now, having said that, you make me wonder. My aunt was a teacher for a long time at a very small town/district in Maine. It's very very white there. Pretty sure that both the teachers and students are white. It makes me wonder.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 04-30-2019, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

It wouldnít be odd here. We are like 99.98% white and rural. The majority of our teachers are native to the area. Iíve worked in my building for 26 years. We have had one African American candidate. One.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 04-30-2019, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I dont know where you are but I am in Ca, and even in a rural area it would be odd.

I even had a parent comment that my site only has 1 African American teacher and how its disproportionate with the rest of the district and my school needs to work on diversity.

I cannot imagine 0 African American employee in the ENTIRE district ever. Weird

Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

CheddarCheese

Old 04-30-2019, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My past district was probably pretty close to this in demographics on hiring just because thereís not a lot of diversity. I live in an extremely rural area. I can only think of two African American teachers in it from the time I went through school until I changed districts. I know of two African Americans for sure and I donít think there are any others just based on district in service where everyone must attend.

At my current school (not district), I donít know of any African American teachers ever teaching here.
CheddarCheese is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 04-30-2019, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Yes and no. The district I work in has only had one African American employee that I know of. But the community is less than 3% minorities combined. It is a small, rural Appalachian area. It was settled as a mining area and not a lot of other industries have had an influence. The home I live in was built by my husbandís great grandparents. This is pretty common.

If the population was different, I would be surprised if the demographics of the staff wasnít different too. I truly feel that any qualified person would be considered for a job in the district without consideration of race etc. very few people move in.
Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote

redhead38

Old 04-30-2019, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I was the only white teacher in an all African-American school and I didn't get re-newed. They said it was due to budget cuts and since I was the last one hired, I was the first to go. The student population was about 90% African-American and the rest white, or Latino. I gave it everything I had so I was very disappointed when I didn't get re-newed but everything works out for a reason.
redhead38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Shuri

Old 04-30-2019, 08:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

A non-renewal and a RIF aren't the same thing. You had a RIF.

stephenPE

Old 05-02-2019, 03:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

My first teaching job was in 1978. Deep south. The principal that hired me was black and I taught math. Middle school. The head of math dept was a black woman. When I retired last year my principal was a black woman. You must have been in a district with NO African Americans. I was in elem. school in the 60s before forced integration and we had a black lady music teacher at that time. At my deep south school in 1965.
stephenPE is offline   Reply With Quote