Help

The VENT

More School Shootings

>

redhead38

More School Shootings
Old 05-07-2019, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is really getting to be too much. It is more common place now and quite honestly, more needs to be done to protect students other than monthly active shooter drills that are done at convenient times when everyone is in the classroom. We've mentioned what would we do if everyone was at lunch? We would have no where to go. We have had countless bomb threats and I am in Florida so now we can arm ourselves with proper training. Still...I'm not sure I even want my child in school.

redhead38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 05-07-2019, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I heard someone say that the only way this will ever change is when all the survivors of school shootings finally grow up, graduate and start voting. I'm beginning to think that's true. The people making these decisions to allow the guns did not grow up hiding in the corner of a room, pretending to hide so they would not get shot. Maybe when the kids who lost their childhood to that reach adulthood, common sense will finally prevail.
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 05-07-2019, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yea, we had a fun go off last week at the HS our kids feed into. A kid was showing off the gun, and it fired. It took them several hours to locate the gun, and students were on lockdown several hours after dismissal. We watched all the police helicopters during our class recess time. No metal detectors here, which really surprises me!
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tsy2013

Old 05-07-2019, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Nothing will change until hearts change. No law will stop a bad person, no drill will cover everything that could happen, no gun zones are going to stop a person with an evil heart!
Tsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

noonespecial

Old 05-07-2019, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When I was in Hs, the parking lot was filled with trucks with rifles in the back window. Lots of kids went directly from school to hunting.

Itís much bigger than that. Video games, television shows, social media, and the list goes on and on. The problem is systemic and a social issue. No values or morals. Parenting skills are gone for way too many.

noonespecial is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 05-07-2019, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This happened in my district today. Surreal.

I don't think things will ever change. I think the world has just gone mad.
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-07-2019, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This one was very close to home for me. Two of my former coworkers work at that school, and one of my closest friends worked there up until this school year, when she moved for her husband's job. I've met a lot of the staff there.

I agree with the pp that I think things may only change when this generation of students become voters. I personally lost all hope when Sandy Hook happened and nothing changed. If that didn't change people's minds, what will?
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Shootings
Old 05-08-2019, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Haley23 said it best...if Sandy Hook doesnít change minds or hearts, nothing will. No assault weapons, better background checks, raise age for gun purchase, screen for mental health issues...what is wrong with any of these measures? I cannot think about Sandy Hook without feeling my heart breaking.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

We can lose hope:
Old 05-08-2019, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I don't think things will ever change. I think the world has just gone mad.

The world has not "just gone mad." We are not the only nation than has experienced mass shooting. We seem to be the only nation that hasn't taken serious action against it. Nations like Japan have had gun violence and now have very little. We need to be aware that it can be reduced. Other developed nations have done it. As long as we hold on to the belief that we need to allow people to own weapons with little oversight, as long as we believe that gun control will end up with all the bad people with guns and all the others defenseless, we won't solve it. We need to keep on promoting better gun control, better mental health care and better education in conflict resolution.

We used to be the nation that could get things done. Now other developed nations have gotten things done and problems solved and our nation keeps putting out the message that "that won't work here." Other nations have universal health care. Us-that won't work.Other nations affordable medications like insulin. Us-no can do, Other nations environmental protections-us deregulate pollutants, other nations gun control-us nope.
chipmunky is online now   Reply With Quote

bGracie

Old 05-08-2019, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
Nothing will change until hearts change. No law will stop a bad person, no drill will cover everything that could happen, no gun zones are going to stop a person with an evil heart!
Yes. That's the root of it all.

bGracie is online now   Reply With Quote

cre8ive_teach

School Shootings
Old 05-08-2019, 09:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

A PP said "I heard someone say that the only way this will ever change is when all the survivors of school shootings finally grow up, graduate and start voting."

Sadly, a courageous group of survivors from the Parkland shooting went to their legislators to fight for solutions, encouraged other young people to vote, and tried to have hard conversations with lawmakers about school shootings and were called actors and were told they were too young to know what they were talking about. Until this country decides that we will no longer put our children on the front lines of violence and starts making real changes in terms of gun safety and ownership, this will keep happening.

My 15 yo DD said last night that her biggest fear is being in a school shooting.
cre8ive_teach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tsy2013

Old 05-08-2019, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Stricter gun laws WILL NOT HELP! Bad people will get guns in illegal ways when they want to do something bad, now law will change this.

Tori58

Old 05-08-2019, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I read an interesting article in The New Yorker a few years ago that put forth the theory that school violence/mass shootings can be a "social process" driven by our "thresholds" - i.e. the number of people doing something before we are willing to do the same. Some of the first school violence incidents were perpetrated by people who were so disturbed that they had a threshold of 0 - they would have done something horrifically violent no matter what. But the theory holds that, starting with Columbine, there has developed an actual culture of school violence. Perpetrators don't have to have a threshold of 0 and they don't need to be as deeply disturbed. The need only to buy into the school shooter culture. I think it's worth noting that Columbine happened about 5 years after people started having access to the internet in their homes and that school violence and mass shootings accelerated dramatically thereafter. I don't think there's any doubt that the internet, along with "news as entertainment" made it possible for this "culture" to grow and spread at a horrifying rate.
Tori58 is online now   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 05-08-2019, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Tsy2013, I disagree. Why have laws about anything then? I think just about every law can and is broken at some point but many of them are in place either to make things more difficult for people to commit the crimes (preventing/limiting access to materials) or by implementing punishments if people break the laws and thereby act as a deterrent for those who consider the crimes. Very few people recommend doing away with age limits for alcohol or tobacco use despite the fact that these aren't universally obeyed.
I saw a sign today that said, "I'd like to thank those students who lay down their lives to protect our right to bear arms."
My two cents.
cruxian is online now   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 05-08-2019, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

chip monkey~

You have your opinion. I have mine.

Last edited by eliza4one; 05-08-2019 at 07:30 PM..
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote
AlwaysSummer

AlwaysSummer

Old 05-08-2019, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

The students are adults. Columbine was literally 20 years ago. If someone wants to do this, they'll just get their hands on them illegally.

ElizabethJoy

Guns
Old 05-08-2019, 08:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Quote:
Tsy2013, I disagree. Why have laws about anything then? I think just about every law can and is broken at some point but many of them are in place either to make things more difficult for people to commit the crimes (preventing/limiting access to materials) or by implementing punishments if people break the laws and thereby act as a deterrent for those who consider the crimes. Very few people recommend doing away with age limits for alcohol or tobacco use despite the fact that these aren't universally obeyed.
Totally agree with Cruxian. Yes, bad things will always happen. But laws can and do prevent some of the bad stuff.

I am so, so thankful to live in a country with good gun laws. We used to have mass shootings too; we literally don't have them anymore.

Anyone could walk into my school at any time. We have zero security. And yet we all feel totally safe.

Quote:
Haley23 said it best...if Sandy Hook doesnít change minds or hearts, nothing will. No assault weapons, better background checks, raise age for gun purchase, screen for mental health issues...what is wrong with any of these measures? I cannot think about Sandy Hook without feeling my heart breaking.
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tsy2013

Old 05-09-2019, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

So the laws that make drugs and murder illegal have stopped it? NOPE, these crimes have increased! Gun laws are stricter than in the past and these bad things are happening more and more! This is a heart problem.
AlwaysSummer

AlwaysSummer

Old 05-09-2019, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I don't think people are any crazier/meaner, though. I think people are just not as stand up as they used to be. When I was a child, I could imagine anyone with a weapon getting past 2 or 3 adults before getting taken down. Yes, people die. A few people is better than a whole class. I don't think I'll ever forgot that Riley Howell. He died, but he saved so many.

lovetosub

Sandy Hook
Old 05-13-2019, 04:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

When Sandy Hook occurred and nothing changed, that was when we said, itís okay to kill our children. It is a harsh reality. It is happening so often now, we are becoming desensitized.

Stricter gun legislation does work. Better gun education does work. Background checks do work. The NRA once supported all of these things, but right wing militants took over itís leadership. Common sense has been ignored.

Theses are facts, not opinion. We have no wish to take away anyoneís guns, just make them safer to have. Safer for us, safer for our children, safer for everyone.
lovetosub is offline   Reply With Quote