Help

The VENT

Social media

>

Violet4

Social media
Old 05-26-2019, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Paints a picture of people's "perfect" lives right?

I know I should be staying off .. just please remind me that it's not real life

Violet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

social media
Old 05-26-2019, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

People posts only the highlights. No one posts pictures of themselves with food poisoning!
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 05-26-2019, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It's a highlight reel, not reality TV. Because, really, for most of us, reality is boring. I'm not going to post pix of doing laundry.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Social media
Old 05-26-2019, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

No one is posting a “perfect life” because that doesn’t exist. They are posting what they believe are fun highlights. Everyone wants a little recognition now and then.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 05-26-2019, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Everyone has ups and downs in their lives. Some people focus on the positive and thus post about the positive aspects of their lives. It doesn't mean they don't have difficult times.

Why torture yourself? Pare down your friends list to only supportive family and friends. If someone's posts make you feel anxious or depressed, drop them like a hot potato.

jov is offline   Reply With Quote

Violet4

Allow me to be more specific
Old 05-26-2019, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

"I was in a miserable job and now I'm happy! Thank God I was saved! Stress is gone!"

I'm not simply unhappy when people are happy.

Haley23

Old 05-26-2019, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I quit posting on FB a couple of years ago and it was really the best decision. I found myself getting caught up in taking/posting pictures of fun events and then worrying about likes and such instead of just enjoying whatever the fun activity was, or getting jealous of things I saw on other people's pages. I still have an account, but literally all I follow is a bunch of cat pages/groups and a statewide teaching group . I look at my feed during lunch at school and seeing all of the cat pictures and videos makes me happy!

The only social media I really participate in is snapchat, where I only see messages that were personally sent to me and I get to send silly/fun things to other specific people.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Violet4

I feel a little better
Old 05-26-2019, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Right now because I had some fun today. I just really wish I could catch a break like so many other people I know. I only come on here when I'm upset so I know only my pessimistic side shows on this board. I appreciate everyone's support.

checkerjane

Old 05-26-2019, 10:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
Right now because I had some fun today. I just really wish I could catch a break like so many other people I know. I only come on here when I'm upset so I know only my pessimistic side shows on this board. I appreciate everyone's support.
Glad you feel a little better. I feel the same way sometimes, so I get where you’re coming from. I’ve said, a lot, that I should deactivate my FB account, but I never do.
checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

FauxBook
Old 05-27-2019, 04:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

The only reason I'm on FauxBook is because some of my insane relatives by marriage live on it, and that is the ONLY way they communicate important stuff. Like family deaths.

FauxBook is good for private groups. I do enjoy that aspect. There is exactly 1 relative I don't have on perpetual snooze.

The only person I really bother reading, is a 70 year old woman from one of my groups. She posts pictures of her toast and tea breakfasts, little absurd things. She's a petite bag of funny. That's worth the eye balls.

I'm not reading the mommy/hubby/kid brags or the political stuff. I only post about my pets. People get mad because Dear Kid isn't on there more. (relatives crab). I consider Faux Book invasive AF. Since it basically kill online email groups, I have no choice for some support groups.

Remember no one posts how their spouse is a tool, or the kids are mutants on their public timeline. You'll see all the pretty stuff.

Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

g8rFan

Facebook
Old 05-27-2019, 05:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I agree with the OP...it is FakeBook. Example: my nephew's former wife constantly posted pics of them and the kids with captions..."Life is so wonderful" "my beautiful family" etc. etc. In other words, the PERFECT life and no one had any reason to believe otherwise.

Come to find out, my sister told me that wife was constantly drinking, they had horrible screaming fights all the time...the complete opposite of what people saw on FakeBook and thought was a perfect storybook life.

They are divorced now. But the point being that we have NO idea what is going on in people's lives behind closed doors. So don't let people's idyllic posts get to you.
g8rFan is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Fb
Old 05-27-2019, 05:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

It's funny how different people post - some post only the positive and others post only the negatives. Real life is in-between the two. I think it goes along with their personalities. Some are complainers when you talk to them in person and others just want to tell about all the fun things they do. Facebook just has the same personality in writing.
SusanTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

elsa4409

Interesting perspective
Old 05-27-2019, 07:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have a friend who is really upbeat. She once told me that she takes pictures of herself and only keeps the good ones. She feels that she can look at them when she's feeling bad and convince herself that she's pretty. She only looks on the bright side, but I can guarantee you that she has the same amount of crap going on in her life as everyone else does. Honestly, sometimes I wish I could see things the way she does. Then, at the same time, I feel like that's not who I am. So, she only posts positive things. When she talks to me, she tells me everything (good and bad), but even then she'll say how great everything is. I guess I'm trying to say that people posting the good stuff might really see it that way or may be posting to convince themselves. Either way, I bet they are experiencing all the ups and downs of life that everyone else is.
elsa4409 is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

I like facebook
Old 05-27-2019, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I like seeing the updates and the pictures of the fun things in my friend's lives, and I like seeing their vacation pictures and their kids achievements. I'm happy for them. I guess I'm at a different place in my life where I'm pretty happy. Yes, we have our problems. I don't post that my husband has been laid off or that I don't know where I'm going to be next year because my school is closing. Why dwell on the negative?

But every year I take a drive out west, and I post my state by state progress. Many people ask when I will be travelling, and if I will do it again. Those that aren't interested can scroll right on by, just as I do when needed. Every once in awhile I post a picture of my grandkids.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 05-27-2019, 08:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I absolutely agree with you, PE.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 05-27-2019, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

There’s a difference between fake and selective. I’m aware that people’s posts don’t tell their full story just as mine don’t tell my full story. I have only about 50 Facebook friends and they’re all actual friends or family who I really want to keep in touch with. Facebook is a fun and convenient way to do so.
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

Tori58

I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook
Old 05-27-2019, 09:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

What I love: 1) Keeping track of former students. I don't extend FB friend requests to former students, but if they add me as a friend (after they graduate) I always accept. I like knowing when they got married, if the finished college, how many kids they have now, if they survived their tour in Afghanistan, Iraq, or whatever, if they're still involved in music.... 2) Reconnecting with friends I lost track of years ago. I am the world's worst about staying in touch with people once I move on but it doesn't mean I never think about them. It's nice knowing that this one finally finished his graduate degree and landed his dream job in Toronto and that that one finally got over her unrequited crush on a coworker, found a different job and a spouse to boot. 3) Having an easily accessible online photo/video journal of what I was doing and thinking about in a particular year. 4) Being able to stay in touch, sort of, with relatives that I'm not willing to travel to see. It helps alleviate the guilt of keeping my distance from situations I don't want to deal with.

What I hate: 1) Constant hoaxes and lies being believed and shared by people who are smart enough to know better. 2) People who cross the line from accentuating the positive to downright lies and bragging about lives that don't exist. And, on the flip side, people who never post anything but complaints. 3) People who only post to get attention and never read/view/respond to anybody else's posts. Ever. 4) Mean, hateful "humor", political or otherwise.

I believe that if you are allowing other people's Facebook posts to make you feel inadequate about your own life, you are allowing others to dictate what constitutes a "perfect life" (as though such a thing exists) for you.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

PrivateEyes
Old 05-27-2019, 09:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I love that you blog about your drive out west for all to enjoy!

A teacher at my school and his teacher wife take a cross-country road trip every summer, going a different route and visiting different places each time. He keeps us all updated on their various escapades each day with great pictures and videos. Everyone tells him he could have a career as a comedy writer after he retires! I love it!

Keltikmom

Social media
Old 05-27-2019, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I take FB at face value....pardon the pun.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Fakebook
Old 05-27-2019, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Is what they should call it. I have friends that take dozens of photos and then apply filters. Gee, I wish I knew how to use those filters!
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

h0kie

FB is what you make of it
Old 05-27-2019, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I’m much the same as PE. I mainly post about my DS. The kid is hilarious. A friend told me Saturday that she appreciates my posts because she learns so much about autism and what life is like for autism families. That made my day.

Could I post about ds’s meltdowns or the days I want to give up? Sure. But I choose not to do so. I try to remember a bad day does not equal a bad life.

I have a strict set of guidelines for what I will share regarding my DS and stick to those. It works for us.

A few years ago, I took a FB break because I realized it was upsetting me. Before too long, I had people messaging to find out where their DS updates were.

FB is what you make of it. If seeing what other people are doing or sharing is upsetting you, take a break or delete your account. Life is too short.

Last edited by h0kie; 05-27-2019 at 05:25 PM..
h0kie is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 05-27-2019, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I post snippets of my personal and professional life and never did think that anyone would want to hear about the devastating losses or disappointments. The low points of a person's life is listened to by close family members and friends. Facebook is not a gathering place for me of my close friends and family. Every user of Facebook has a different purpose for its use.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

lovetosub

Story time!
Old 05-28-2019, 08:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

About a decade or less ago, a friend would constantly post these fabulous stories, interesting photos, exciting details, and envious statuses all over Facebook and Instagram. It was, quite honestly, annoying. So much so that while I stayed friends with her, I had to unfollow her on social media for a while. We’re talking trips to the Caribbean, romantic weekends, exhilarating escapades. Picture after picture of her and her husband having the times of their lives. Her life seemed perfect, almost too good. In fact, many of her other friends were “over it.” Some of us became suspicious.

Can you guess the truth of the matter?

Yup. He had an affair. She had an affair. They split, soon to divorce.

But the lies she told via social media made many of us never trust her again. She didn’t t have to share that they were having trouble, but she posted again and again about what a perfect, what a great life they had.

Don’t believe everything you see. It’s all smoke and mirrors.
lovetosub is offline   Reply With Quote

BioEducator87

Old 05-29-2019, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

It's just people's highlight reels. Don't believe everything you see or compare yourself to others. I'm actually doing a social media "fast" right now. If you're not careful it will have you feeling behind or prideful.

Like lovetosub, I had a friend that always posted about her perfect husband and marriage, her perfect life and trips, being able to buy expensive cars, etc. Well, she is now divorced because her husband was cheating on her and beating her the whole time she was posting these things.

Some people like to use social media for validation and attention.

Last edited by BioEducator87; 05-29-2019 at 07:27 AM..
BioEducator87 is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Fake vacations
Old 05-29-2019, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Fake vacations on social media

https://nypost.com/2019/04/19/attent...-on-instagram/

GoodEnough85

LOL Fake Vacations and Travel
Old 05-30-2019, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I never post about my real vacations or travel. Rarely a single picture. I am just paranoid enough that we don't want people to know when we are out of town... Then, when we return it doesn't seem relevant anymore. If we even have pictures to post...

I have a home security system but we are in a rural area where someone could completely empty my home before a first responder could arrive. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Also I am more of an "experiencer" than a "documenter" if you know what I mean. We have done lots of cool things to end up with no (or a couple blurry) photos later...We think "Wow. We should have taken a good picture of that..." but, we didn't.

I use it mainly as a way to keep up with pictures/events of my grandkids and a few blogs I tend to follow. I post mainly inspirational quotes, birthday wishes and the occasional recipe. I probably average less than two posts a week. I will click like or love on others' posts but rarely comment. I do some FB Messenger texts though. More than FB itself...

I go days, even weeks, between checking FB at times. I do some FB stalking at times. BUT, I do understand the dynamics of FB to know that it is not really real.
GoodEnough85 is offline   Reply With Quote