Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

New or used house

>

EllaKate

New or used house
Old 06-12-2019, 08:27 AM

We are hoping to sell our house this summer as the kids are grown and gone and it's just too big - two story, huge yard and pool, etc. We want a single level home.

Here is our debate....DH is really in love with a brand new home. I like the home but don't want to go through the expense of window coverings and redoing the back yard. We said we'd do mini blinds but my biggest concern is the yard - I have lived in this house with the yard not totally done for over 20 years and I refuse to let that happen again. DH is unable to do the yard also as he is disabled.

A used home is a bit more expensive but everything is done - the yard, the windows, etc.

Cost wise - it can come out the same by the time you do the new house.

Just looking for opinions and what you think...would you buy new or used? And by used, we're looking at home that are about 3-5 years old, no more than 10.

TIA

EllaKate is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 06-12-2019, 08:38 AM

Personally i’d Go with the new house. I would much rather decorate than worry about things going wrong with a house that’s even 3-5 years old. Plus there will be warranties on all of your major items. Good luck finding what you love.
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Buying a home
Old 06-12-2019, 08:58 AM

I like buying a home with a little age because I want trees. New home builders seem to level the lots around here or leave one token tree to make the building process easier I guess.

Good luck to you whatever you decide to do.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Home
Old 06-12-2019, 09:10 AM

DH and I have a home in a PUD where yard work is part of the package. I love knowing that I don't need to worry about the mowing in the summer and shoveling in the winter. It sounds like you are on your own to maintain the outdoors. Enjoy your new adventure whatever you decide.
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Old 06-12-2019, 11:11 AM

Since they come out the same as far as expenses, I'd go with the one that you like the best. 3-5 years isn't enough to worry about if you love that one more. If you love them equally the same, then go with the new one. Also, it goes without saying that location is everything. That would be my top priority - you can change the house but you can't change its location.

SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Used home
Old 06-12-2019, 12:16 PM

If you can get a newish used home there will be things already taken care of for you,.as you said. An established lawn is something I wish we got when we moved into our current home. We wanted new, something nobody else ever lived in. Besides the established lawn, we did not have a nice driveway. We got a pad they just dumped stone on. We either had to get it paved or edge it out ourselves to keep the stone in the driveway. Then there were the trees the builder damaged building the house and digging the ditch that runs through the yards for water runoff. The trees looked good when we moved in but showed signs of dying shortly after. It was too late to have the builder pay for removing them.so that bill was on us. Then there was the deck. They slapped on a tiny deck that we decided to replace. Decks are expensive to have built. A newish home.may already have a nice deck or patio in good shape. The other issue you will know what you are getting if you do not buy new. The layout of our house seemed fine on paper but once we saw what was built, we were no longer happy it was much smaller than we imagined, and the hallway seems so big.in such a little home. One doorway would have been much better in a different spot, but we didn't see that on paper. Personally, I would look for a newish house but not brand new. I would want one without carpeting since I believe carpeting cannot be thoroughly cleaned.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Home
Old 06-12-2019, 12:25 PM

I love a brand new home to put my own stamp on. Just hire a landscaper to do the yard...
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 06-12-2019, 12:32 PM

Personally, I would prefer a brand new home. You can usually choose your finishes and perhaps the location of the lot. When you hire a landscaper to do the yards, you can have that person design a very low maintenance yard.
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

cemsnowy4

Old 06-12-2019, 02:23 PM

I would go with a new house. Things will start going in an older home. Also if you keep the yard simple you can hire someone to take care of the lawn and it shouldn’t be too pricey.
cemsnowy4 is online now   Reply With Quote

msamyb

New
Old 06-12-2019, 03:08 PM

I personally would have a new home built. You can pick out everything you like and have the piece of mind knowing it is all brand new and under warranty. In my area, a sodded yard (front & back) and landscaping is included in the builders new home package. Maybe you can see if builders in your area have at option.

msamyb is offline   Reply With Quote

EllaKate

Old 06-12-2019, 03:40 PM

Thanks everyone for all your input.

The (new) and used homes are basically five minutes apart. The new one is a brand new subdivision being built. So the location is pretty much the same only a few minutes apart.

Front landscaping is included here in almost all new homes.

We'll keep looking!

anna

Old 06-12-2019, 04:11 PM

I was chatting with a teacher who had just bought a new home and she didn't recommend it. Every little thing you want to add to your shell of a home adds up so quickly. She did not like the sales technique at all and would have liked to see in real life what she was exactly getting for her money before signing the bottom line. Drawings and written agreements did not do it for her.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-12-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
I was chatting with a teacher who had just bought a new home and she didn't recommend it. Every little thing you want to add to your shell of a home adds up so quickly. She did not like the sales technique at all and would have liked to see in real life what she was exactly getting for her money before signing the bottom line. Drawings and written agreements did not do it for her.
I had a coworker who had the exact same experience this year. The original price was okay, but then they nickel and dime you for every little thing after that. Light fixtures, garage door opener, type of appliances, paint, etc. etc. They spent WAY more than they were originally anticipating, and then when they moved in there were issues right away that the builders didn't catch. It also seems to me that older buildings were just constructed better. I wouldn't count on there being fewer maintenance issues.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

EllaKate

Old 06-13-2019, 05:05 AM

Anna and Haley - this is exactly what I cannot get DH to understand. All he sees is the base price and a few things we want extra. He doesn't see the total picture.

aggie'swife

Old 06-13-2019, 05:53 AM

Also take into consideration:

I don't know about your area, but the foundation (slab) is very important in my area. Homes that are over 10 years old pretty much show how well that foundation was built. Due to dry conditions and soil types, people do have to water around the slab. And there are different types of slabs, so if you are having it built you would definitely want to put more money into making sure you have a good foundation. Cracks would be showing in the walls. For instance, my youngest and his wife (newly married) rented a little house. Oh it looked so cute -- newly remodeld: painted, new flooring, all new fixtures/appliances, decorated, etc. About six months in, they notice the door sticks, cracks now in the walls. Now this is mostly a pier & beam older home and with that you will have some settling from time to time. But they are happy that they are renting this so cute little house and not owning it.

Next the plumbing. Is that all built with "builders" grade materials? You might have beautiful granite countertops, but what about the plumbing?

For me, an older home 10 -20 years old that hasn't been remodeled, but still in really good shape, would be what I would look at. This way I know what I am getting and then I would have it remodeled.

I think what you might consider is looking at "maintenance." Some houses are more maintenance-free than others.
aggie'swife is offline   Reply With Quote