Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Puppy Injury

>

Peaches250

Puppy Injury
Old 06-13-2019, 04:38 AM

So, I took my pup to work with me yesterday for some summer planning with the team. When we got to the room, he went to jump on one of the other teachers. We are trying to train him not to do that. The trainer told us to pop his leash when he does it. My DD did, but on the freshly waxed floors, with a very uncoordinated big puppy, he slipped very awkwardly.

I could tell he was hurt, so we headed to the vet. At first, she thought he had broken his leg, but luckily he did not. However, she thinks he popped his joint out and popped it back in. It is the joint in the middle of his leg, so I guess it is his "knee" joint. Now, I have a 19 week old Rotti pup on bed rest!! Ask me how that is going!

Our instructions are to give him an anti-inflammatory/pain pill and a chill out pill every 12 hours. She said she wants him in the crate as much as possible. She said to ice it if I could. This has only happened once because he is infatuated with ice!

Do any of you dog lovers out there have any other advice to help him out? He is already a little better from yesterday. He has a hard time getting up, but is not yelping when he does it now. He favors the leg a lot but will put some weight on it. We are using KONG toys like crazy to keep him occupied in the crate.

I hate that my pup is hurt. We are supposed to be leaving for vacation Sunday and now I want to cancel our trip!!! My DH would have my head, but I really do want to make sure he is taken care of!

Peaches250 is online now   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 06-13-2019, 05:10 AM

Sorry your dog was injured due to "leash popping." It was good that you took him to the vet.

Did the vet express any concerns, or offer any other methods (harness?) for stopping the behavior?

After doing research, I am not a fan of "leash popping" and would find other methods (where this injury might not happen again) to resolve the dog's jumping on people to greet them.

Sounds like following the vet's advise on letting your dog rest is about all you can do now. Hope he gets better soon!
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 06-13-2019, 05:25 AM

Look up clicker training. This will help two ways, provide you with a more effective method of training four on the floor than leash popping and help you come up with brain games to keep him calm.

At that age especially, a little bit of brain activity is worth a lot of physical activity in terms of tiring them out.

Scent games would also be really helpful.

When my dog was on crate rest, I taught her tricks that she could do from a lying down position so that she stayed off her leg but wasn’t bored to death.

Can you delay your trip a day or two if his leg is still bad? What’s the plan for puppysitting? Will he be with someone who will take care of his leg?
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Old 06-13-2019, 05:34 AM

When my dog was on crate rest, I had several crates so I could change her environment.
arsabl is online now   Reply With Quote

Peaches250

Popping
Old 06-13-2019, 05:36 AM

Please know, she did not do it in the way the videos show. DD is not even 100 pounds. She did not pull back hard. I do not go for the aggressive training, but it was the best way to describe it. I really think it was the combination of the tug and the freshly waxed floor. He went full force to greet somebody, the leash caught and she tugged against his force.

Friends are going to watch him. They are great with dogs and I know they will take care of him. They came over last night and we talked to them. I have no doubt they will do everything they can and follow the doctor's orders. But, as we see, accidents happen.
Honestly, there is no way to change our dates. We will not get a refund on the room. I think I would be ok with that, but DH would not go for it! See my worry post above. Worry, worry, worry!

Peaches250 is online now   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 06-13-2019, 07:27 AM

Nevertheless, I think you will find that clicker training done right is more effective than any kind of leash pop, which can be damaging to the trachea even if slippery floors aren't in play.

I hope you can find some good crate games for your puppy.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote