Help

BusyBoard

When did you give your notice?

>

SusanTeach

When did you give your notice?
Old 06-13-2019, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

If you changed schools, when did you tell the P?

My P was irate that I didn't tell her I was transferring to another school within our district. I told her, but it was after it went through officially (approved by the school board). She said I should have told her before I put in the transfer.

Honestly, do people tell their P before another job is secured? I hadn't signed my contract yet, so I didn't think anything about it.

Just wondering if her point was valid or if she was just mad that she was losing a veteran teacher.

SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-13-2019, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Here it would be impossible because no school will hire you without talking to your current/most recent P first. I'm really surprised that the P you're switching to didn't call to ask about you for an in district transfer. Are you in a really large district where principals don't really know each other? That would just never happen here either.

Presuming the board meeting was in a timely manner, I guess it makes sense to wait until everything is official. Our principals do attend board meetings here though. If names and positions were actually read, the P would find out that way. Is it possible she found out from someone else and is mad that you didn't tell her first?

I could see the P being mad if you were sitting on this for a month or something, depending on how your job market is. The job market in my area is fairly open. There would be a pretty big difference in the quality of applicants we'd get just posting a job now vs. posting it in the spring, so if someone knew but didn't say anything I could see my P being mad about it.

I think it's courteous to let someone know you're looking, but I can see why in some situations you can't if you fear retaliation.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Old 06-13-2019, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I didn't know she'd find out when I put in my application - apparently it goes to all the principals! She SAID she was mad because I didn't give her much time to hire someone else (it was a month before school was out). But then later in the conversation she said she knew when I applied because the computer told her.

By the way, I was the one who went to her. She knew I had applied and never asked me about it. I guess she was waiting for me to do it. When I did, she was pretty ugly.

I was sitting on it for a month, but it was only because I didn't know if it would go through. In most jobs, the person doesn't let the employer know they're looking for another job, so I guess I didn't find a teaching job any different. I haven't looked for another job in 20 years, so I really didn't know.

SassyTeach

Your P is wrong.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I never told my P until it all went through, because I didn't want to go through the emotional roller coaster until it was all said and done. Why go through the stress if it "might" not happen?!

Your P is just wrong on this one. You didn't have to tell her before you decided.
SassyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 06-13-2019, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
When I did, she was pretty ugly.
This sounds to me like it's a good thing you're moving to a different school. I don't care how upset you are, there's never a good reason to "get ugly."

And I wouldn't tell my P before I knew the job was final, and I adore my P! It would be awkward and weird if I didn't get the job and stayed. They'd know they were second choice, and they'd know someone else didn't want me.

Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Depends...
Old 06-13-2019, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

When I applied for a transfer from one school in the district to another, I talked to my principal ahead of time. I told him I saw an internal posting for a position and such and such school and was interested in applying. He thanked me for telling and said he would put in a good word with the principal. Now the district uses a google form thing to apply for internal vacancies, but at that time, internal vacancies were sent by e-mail and then you had to e-mail the principal of the new school directly. I cc'd my current principal when I e-mailed the principal of the school I was transferring, too. I told him first in person, then included him on the e-mail. However, I know once that district went to google forms, you pretty much had to just tell your p in person or through e-mail. I do remember a time where we had an internal applicant interview for a position. Normally internal applicants in that district did get the job. The girl interviewed, toured, etc. She was friends with the p, too, so we all thought for sure she would get it. Lo and behold, that night, my principal and I had to speak at a board meeting about some initiatives our school was doing. The principal who was in charge at the school where this candidate worked also had to speak. As my principal and I were sitting there, this principal came over and asked to talk to my principal. I could hear them talking and I heard "I had NO CLUE she was interested. I had NO CLUE she wanted to leave". They talked for a lot longer, but this principal was pretty livid. My principal didn't say anything, but the next day, the job was posted externally and that girl didn't get the job. I really think it had something to do with not telling her principal because I know my principal would have hired her. She LOVES her.

When I applied from one district/system to another, I waited until after the interview. Then after the interview, I said something to my principal, in case she got a reference call. I always explained that I didn't say anything sooner because I wasn't sure if I would even be a serious candidate and that I wanted more information from the interview before I became more serious. She was good with that and totally understood. I did just get a new job for next year. In that case, I listed other people as references, not my administration, so I didn't tell them. When I accepted the job, then I told them.
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Old 06-13-2019, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
I always explained that I didn't say anything sooner because I wasn't sure if I would even be a serious candidate and that I wanted more information from the interview before I became more serious. She was good with that and totally understood.
That's similar to what I said. I told her that I didn't say anything sooner because I wasn't sure if I'd get the job.

Thanks for all your thoughts. It helps me see it from other perspectives.

Miller

Old 06-14-2019, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

we have to tell the principal. We have a district job fair and our current principal must sign off on it.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

MayCee

Telling Principal
Old 06-19-2019, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

In my previous district, you had to submit transfer requests before a certain date. Then principals would have a staffing meeting and discuss changes. Then they would do interviews. If you were given a position in a new building, then you tell your principal you are moving. When I did this, my principal basically stopped talking to me when she found out I wanted to move. It made my decision even easier.
MayCee is offline   Reply With Quote