Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

So upset

>

Jackie

So upset
Old 06-15-2019, 04:19 AM

My ds goes to an elementary school in my town that houses Prek, and 1st-3rd grades. Yesterday, our middle school was having their graduation rehearsal at his elementary school. During this rehearsal, a 14 year old 8th grader ran across the gym and stabbed the principal of the middle school multiple times in the chest. The police were there within minutes and the juvenile is charged with 2nd degree assault. The principal is going to be ok. I live in an upper middle class town. These kids here have no reason to ever do something like this and yet....
Iím so upset as dsís classroom was right near the gym where this happened.

Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote

DSLBUG

Old 06-15-2019, 04:23 AM

I am horrified! Iím glad the P is going to be ok.
DSLBUG is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 06-15-2019, 04:24 AM

I saw this on social media... so disturbing! So glad the principal will be okay. Still, so scary.

You never know what drives a person to do something like this, the income of the family has nothing to do with it.

Did your son see anything?
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 06-15-2019, 04:42 AM

I saw this on the news. My first reaction was why? He must have had trouble with the principal, but to think he could just stab him is awful. It just sounds crazy. Schools are going to become like jails pretty soon with metal detectors and security. My school is already there. Iím glad it didnít go further. I hope your ds and the rest of the kids are ok.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

I am sorry that this occurred in your DS's
Old 06-15-2019, 04:47 AM

school.

Quote:
I live in an upper middle class town. These kids here have no reason to ever do something like this and yet....
I am not sure how you came up with this conclusion. One's economic status has little to do with the existence of mental illness, the occurrence of child abuse, sexual abuse, etc. No one knows what was happening in that kid's life. Not excusing him, but dysfunction occurs at all levels and there are no towns or cities that are free of the rot that is prevalent throughout our culture at this moment in time, all the way up to and including the WH.

Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 06-15-2019, 04:50 AM

Quote:
I live in an upper middle class town. These kids here have no reason to ever do something like this and yet....
This shows that mental illness doesn't have socioeconomic boundaries.

Living in a nice area doesn't protect you from danger. Less danger, maybe, but not completely protected.

What a horrible thing for everyone to experience!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 06-15-2019, 04:52 AM

[QUOTE]I am not sure how you came up with this conclusion. One's economic status has little to do with the existence of mental illness, the occurrence of child abuse, sexual abuse, etc. No one knows what was happening in that kid's life. Not excusing him, but dysfunction occurs at all levels and there are no towns or cities that are free of the rot that is prevalent throughout our culture at this moment in time, all the way up to and including the WH[QUOTE]

What I meant was these kids have parents who have access to HELP them. And yet this can still happen. Itís a scary time. I also think besides mental illness possibly being a factor, it is also bad parenting that can be a factor. There need to be more consequences. Iím not assuming which was a factor in this exact situation. It can be either.

amiga13

Old 06-15-2019, 04:59 AM

Oh Jackie, how awful for your family and your community. Iím so sorry.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-15-2019, 05:49 AM

That would be disturbing. Wow. Why do the middle schoolers use the elementary school, just curiously asking?

I do think we have to be sadly aware that something like this an happen anywhere, and at anytime, while not being paralyzed and terrified to go places and do things. Homesteading starts to look better and better when you let your mind get too absorbed with what can happen...

Hg your little guy and love them with all your heart. Say your prayers. Keep breathing, he is fine.

I donít know what the cause of this youngsterís angst is that made him think that this was a good solution. I donít like pointing the finger at parents and how they raised him either. There are kids who were raised as well as many other kids who end up doing stupid crap like that, and I donít think their parents are at fault. There are kids raised in horrific situations that are perfectly fine humans. There are other factors at work here, too. Certainly we have not done a good job of figuring these things out...and we need to.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 06-15-2019, 05:54 AM

Jackie Iím so sorry that your sonís school and your community experienced this. I also understand the feeling of helplessness. No matter how educated we are or the amount of resources available or the support we can provide, we as a society just can not seem to help and protect our children. I hope that your community heals together. This makes me so sad.

hand is offline   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 06-15-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
That would be disturbing. Wow. Why do the middle schoolers use the elementary school, just curiously asking?
They restructured the schools a few years ago. They used to be K-8 schools. Now we have a dedicated K center, 2 elementary schools that house Pre-K and grades 1-3, one upper elementary school that has 4-6th, and the middle school which has 7th-8th. Because of the restructuring of schools, the middle school which houses 7th-8th doesn't have a big enough gym for the graduation. So they are using the gym at my DS's elementary school, which is bigger, to accommodate the size of the crowd for the middle school graduation. There are plans to expand the gym at the middle school so this doesn't have to happen anymore.

puzzle1mom

Old 06-15-2019, 06:25 AM

This is so frightening and disturbing. It's getting to where educators need hazard pay. This is just happening too frequently and it's so scary.
puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 06-15-2019, 06:51 AM

That is very disturbing and scary Jackie! I hope that child gets some serious intervention very soon. So often schools don't do very much for kids with mental health issues. I am glad the victim will recover.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

sisterwoman

Old 06-15-2019, 07:01 AM

From what I have read, most of the students choosing this route have come from financially comfortable circumstances. I agree with a previous poster that, as a society, we are not setting enough limits/boundaries for our children. It is the ďmeĒ generation and, oftentimes, children are given so much that they have little to look forward to or to work for in life. Of course, there are many factors that contribute to this but the fact that so many children need therapy and feel entitled is scary.
sisterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Upset
Old 06-15-2019, 07:36 AM

I would be upset and shaken as well. Find out if the school is offering counseling to students and see if you can take advantage of that.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

That is terrible!
Old 06-15-2019, 08:08 AM

I am sorry this happened in your community.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-15-2019, 08:23 AM

Iím so sorry. How scary for everyone involved. Iím glad the P is going to be ok.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Oh, Jackie!
Old 06-15-2019, 08:37 AM

I read about this- how awful it was at your DSís school! I hope heís ok. Thank God the P will be ok. Iím so sorry this happened.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 06-15-2019, 09:28 AM

That is just crazy!
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 06-15-2019, 11:00 AM

That is horrifying! I'm so sad this happened at your son's school (and that it happened anywhere, frankly).

I'm so glad the principal is going to be ok.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Terrible...
Old 06-15-2019, 01:51 PM

I saw the report of this incident in the news. I was so glad that the principal will be okay. Obviously, this is a very troubled youth. I hope he gets the consequences as well as the help that he needs.

Being an educator these days is a potentially dangerous job, and I'm sorry that any student could have borne witness to this terrible incident. The times are definitely different from when I started, and not in a good way.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tulips

So sorry
Old 06-15-2019, 02:39 PM

This is a terrible incident, but one that sounds like it had a definitive target, the principal. Who knows why it happened, there are so many possibilities.

I would think that your son will be fine at this school next year.

Hugs and prayers for your community, I'm glad the principal will be okay.

Dee
Tulips is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 06-15-2019, 06:28 PM

How horrible! I am glad the principal is OK, but so sorry he and all the kids had to experience that.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote