How far has a school asked you to travel for an interview? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

How far has a school asked you to travel for an interview?

>

Fractured

How far has a school asked you to travel for an interview?
Old 06-15-2019, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Ok, on the one hand Iím glad I am getting some actual interviews, but Iím hoping more people would use FaceTime calls or Skype. A school wants me to drive 3 hours for an interview. Iím not sure if itís a first round or if there are more or what. Six hours is just a lot to drive in one day. Is this typical? Does it seem ridiculous to anyone else?

Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-15-2019, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would do a three hour drive. Did a four hour drive once. Did you ask about Skype or FaceTime?

Truthfully, if I wanted a job and that was only option, if it was a move I was willing to make, I would do it if they werenít interested in a video conference.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 06-15-2019, 09:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Nah, Iíll do it. Didnít ask about Skype, I think they want the face to face. Most of the places Iím applying to have no appeal as far as livability goes, but the market around me is bad.

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-15-2019, 09:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Well, I drove 10 hours in 25 hours to do a demo lesson soo...

You do what you need to do.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

gradymidget

Old 06-15-2019, 09:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

A three hour drive is nothing. Iíd do it if I was really interested in the position. Could you maybe make it into a mini vacation? Are there any interesting sights to see and stop at along the way or nearby? Personally Iíd get a hotel room and spend the night.

gradymidget is online now   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 06-15-2019, 09:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Did you get the job? Thatís nuts.

cruxian

Old 06-15-2019, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I ddi a three or four hour drive once. (It was a while ago so I can't really remember how long it took.) I was really really glad in retrospect that I did. The place looked great on the map but it was a lot more rural in person. I ended up getting a job offer and turned it down because I couldn't imagine living there with DD.
cruxian is online now   Reply With Quote

Mrs Readalot

Flew
Old 06-15-2019, 11:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I flew (would have been an 8 hour drive) to interview for my current job. (This was several years ago, before Skype was used.). The job market was flooded where I lived, and this was the only way to actually get into teaching.
Mrs Readalot is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 06-15-2019, 01:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

It never would have crossed my mind to expect a Facetime/Skype interview for a teaching position.

It has been 20 years since I've interviewed outside of my district, but I think it's reasonable for them to expect a face-to-face interview.
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-15-2019, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

For my very first interview out of college, I drove 3.5 hours one way. I graduated into an insane job market, so it didn't occur to me to not go. I got there and was told the position I'd applied for had been filled the previous day, and they wanted me to interview for a self-contained emotional disturbance room. Not only was I not even licensed for this (I had mild/moderate sped on my license, they told me "there's a loophole") I also had NO interest whatsoever in that kind of position.

I was not about to drive all that way and not even get any interview practice, so I stayed and did the interview and told them at the end that I didn't want the position. Now, I'd say something about how rude the entire situation was, but didn't have the guts on my very first interview.

Ever since then, I've asked for clarification on what the position is when setting up the interview and if it's something that's going to be inconvenient for me to get to, I will even say something like, "Please let me know if the position changes prior to the interview."

If the job is very far away, I would certainly ask for a skype interview. We interview via skype all of the time. I've been hired over the phone twice. Once, I was coming from out of state, and the second time I was local, but happened to be out of town when they were doing interviews.

I would never agree to fly to an interview unless I'd already done phone/skype, was the top candidate, and knew I was really interested in that school. Then I might fly out as more of a formality/show us your really serious and see the school, sign paperwork, etc. type of thing. I've seen way too many instances where they either already have someone in mind, the job posting is misleading, or I learn pretty quickly into the interview that it's not really what I'm looking for. No way would I pay to fly somewhere to find that out.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Back in the day...
Old 06-15-2019, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

When I graduated college in the 70's and again when I looked for another job in the late 80's, there was no internet, so every interview was a distance. I was spending my first summer after college in Buffalo, NY because my plan was if I didn't get a job, I was accepted into a graduate program there. The job I got was about 5 hours away, and a bit crazy because I was dropping off a good friend in Syracuse for a wedding and I changed into my interview clothes in a rest area on the Thruway! When I met the school board (a formality) later in the summer, I did stay overnight nearby because the meeting was at night.

When I interviewed for my present position, 3 hours from where I was teaching before, I stayed with my parents 45 minutes away from the interview. I did drive back after doing the demo lesson and my interviews with the superintendent and curriculum superintendent.

Six hours is a long way. I would probably have to stay over rather than do a 12 hour drive total in one day.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 06-15-2019, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I drive that far for lunch or shopping regularly. For a job I was interested in, it wouldn't even register as an issue. I wouldn't want it for my daily commute, though, I'd have to be willing to move.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

mrshointz

Face to face
Old 06-15-2019, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

When we moved from NY to MD, I was driving six hours each way. Most times I was able to schedule multiple interviews and stay overnight in a hotel before driving back. Schools insisted on face-to-face interviews. It wasnít fun, but I did what I had to do.
mrshointz is offline   Reply With Quote

elsa4409

Old 06-15-2019, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

A friend and I drove 8-10 hours (traffic was horrid) one way to go to interviews. We stayed overnight the night before and drove home after the last interview. I know that I had 2 and I think she had one that day. The second job was offered to me on the spot so I took it. Then, she ended up getting the job where I had the first interview. We both moved here. This wasn't that long ago, but it was before video interviews.
elsa4409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Crayon4936

Crayon4936

Flew to interview
Old 06-15-2019, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

In 2010 I flew from central Florida to Charlotte NC for an interview (wouldíve been 8 hour drive). This was for middle school Social Studies position. Iíd just resigned from my previous job after 4 years, I liked NC, and the school was high performing, so I went.
Skype was not option back then, and this was my first conversation with them. I turned it in to a mini vacation, which in a way helped me mentally for the interview. Long story short, I got the job offer when driving to airport the next day (if they wouldíve asked for another meeting Iíd have no money left to return).
To get to your situation, Iíd only drive 3 hours if the school or area was really good (or if you desperate for job lol). You donít want to travel far to live or work in a place that isnít a good fit.

TwoCreeks

Old 06-16-2019, 05:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

If I was interested enough to apply for the position in the first place I would definitely be ready to interview where the district is located.
TwoCreeks is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Job
Old 06-16-2019, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Iíd travel anywhere for a job interview if I wanted the job I was applying for and was granted an interview.

I think it shows youíre true interest if you go out of your way to get there. Three hours is not much of a drive really, especially if you get the job.

I do advise you to maybe change into interview clothes in a McDonaldís restroom somewhere though. I always feel so wrinkly after a longer drive. Best of luck!
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 06-16-2019, 06:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Quite frankly...they don't care!

You're the one that applied and wants a job. I get it's far but if you really want a job then do it.

Sadly teaching is not like corporate America where they'll fly you in to interview.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

GoodEnough85

8 hour drive one way ..
Old 06-16-2019, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I drove up the night before, stayed in a hotel, drove home after. I did not get the job.

BUT they shared my name with a neighboring district and I got that job without another interview.
GoodEnough85 is offline   Reply With Quote

frecklejuice

I guess I don't understand your question.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

You obviously applied in this district, so it doesn't seem like they're asking you to drive too far. You applied, so I guess they think you'll be ok with driving for an interview.
frecklejuice is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 06-16-2019, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I was asking how far other people had to drive for an interview. Several people in my cohort got hired via Skype right out of school. I have been doing digital interviews as of late( recording yourself when asked questions with a prompt)so I was under the impression that more districts were relying on technology for interviews now. I donít mind driving, but it seems easier to use Skype in 2019. I know some of you only did face to face interviews before, but that is not as common. For the person who drives 3 hours for lunch, do you live in a rural area? That seems like a long way to go. And I would move there. Iím not going to commute. Thanks for the input, it was just curiosity.

TexTeacher

Old 06-16-2019, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

It would definitely be nice if the first round was digital! Back when I got my first job, I drove 4.5 hours, but there wasnít Skype or FaceTime back then!
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 06-18-2019, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I once flew from Chicago to Charlotte North Carolina for an interview at a private school. I was offered a job on the spot and I took it.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 06-24-2019, 11:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Well, I didnít get it. They called me so at first I thought that was a good sign. Iím ready to give up though.

Summerwillcom

Almost 30 yrs ago...
Old 07-02-2019, 08:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I took a 2-3 day drive on a greyhound bus to get to an interview. When we got to 1 state, it was early release for prisoner's day at a local prison.
They were the happiest busload of passengers I could have imagined. They'd get out at every stop and take turns buying my kids snacks. There was nothing perverted about it. They were just so happy to be free.
The poor bus driver though had to pull over a few times and make announcements that he did not want to have to call the police so he better not smell any more pot! ( It was coming from the back and we were in the front.)
I got the job and it was at a school that I never would have left had it not been for I needed to get back for aging parents. It was well worth the ride!
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote