Special Education

help with teachers who won't modify

>

lunalu

lunalu

help with teachers who won't modify
Old 10-13-2005, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student with PDD 3rd grade, who receives 2 periods plus an asst. in the classroom 1 period/day...(just an extra to keep him on task.)
He can read well, is verbal, and has many autistic behaviors, but does not bother other children at all. He is getting grades in math and reading as we work with him inclusion/ some pull-out resource. He moves through 3 teachers for SS, science, history, math, science, reading/eng. and goes to all special areas independently.The only grades he is getting is for reading and math which I am covering resource inclusion. His teachers said recently at a meeting in front of the parents that he will basically "adit" he other subjects, that he can sit in their class and just try to absorb the info. They ask nothing of him and do not give him grades. I am fuming! What do you all make of that? The LEA was there and said nothing. I could use some advice, as I have to live with these teachers too.

Allison

Allison

Old 10-14-2005, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If there are modifications listed on his IEP, his teacher's MUST comply with them. I would give the teachers a copy of the modifications and let them know that it is the law that they modify.
pjm

pjm

interesting
Old 10-14-2005, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

WEll, what on earth did the parents say? I can't believe they just sat there and accepted that....if the parents get an advocate your regular ed teachers are in big trouble.....

And I have to agree with the previous poster, what is in his IEP? maybe it's time to write an addendum
lunalu

lunalu

accommodations
Old 10-17-2005, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The IEP (which I wrote) lists more behavioral accommodations such as giving him only one or two directions at a time, working in a group to promote socialization, peer buddy, calling his name to get direct eye contact b/f giving directions, extended time on tests as needed, preferential seating to help him attend. He also has oral admin. of math on standardized tests. The problem is that more often than not he "appears" to be unattentive and because of his language decifit, he can't take in too much auditory stimuli and goes on overload. Ask him a question sometimes and it takes a long while for him to respond. At the time I thought I did a pretty good job writing that IEP, but now maybe you are right. It's time for an addendum. The parents don't talk to each other, but I understand that the mom recently went to the asst. Principal with questions. These teachers just don't want to be bothered it seems to me. They really slipped by saying that he was just going to "audit" their class. I also have to get along with the other teachers, so it gets sticky. If a teacher doesn't want to work with you, it's bad news for the student. I think it's an administrative call as well.
Deb2

Deb2

Non-conforming teachers
Old 10-24-2005, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Your district must not have been sued in the recent past because of this issue. Get the right parents and they'll turn your district upside-down.

We have the same issue in my district, especially in the upper grades. At the junior high level, a few regular ed teachers have taken it upon themselves to punish any student who is under an IEP and goes to the Resource teacher to take his tests (tests read aloud). These "teachers" take 15 points off of the student's grade, whatever it is, for the priviledge of having the tests read to him/her. Our district will be sued, too. It's just a matter of time.

Our biggest problem is that we special ed teachers are herded together every year for an in-service on the latest court cases and their outcomes. The problem is that, while we sped folks are informed about the law and what happens to those teachers and districts who fail to follow the law, the regular ed teachers do not receive this information and remain in the dark. We have asked, no--begged, for the reg ed folks to hear the same info we hear, but no one listens to us.

I inform my regular ed teachers about their responsibility to follow the accommodations/modifications set out in the IEP, and I follow up to ensure that they are being followed, but it is ultimately up to the reg ed teacher. I worry that I'll be liable if a teacher does not follow the accommodations.

lunalu

lunalu

modifying the curriculum
Old 10-25-2005, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The admin said we would meet on this, but to date nothing has been done. The apathy is killing me. I really felt it was an admin call, however, now I will have to step forward and write an addendum to the IEP stating clearly that the reg ed teachers will modify, how, and all subjects to enable success of the student. If you read above, you will see what I did write which was great for the student at the time , given a caring teacher, but it's not enough any more. This pretty much happens across the school. Teachers who have students with IEP's do not take ownership in them, they want to send them out to the Resource room to get help somewhere else. I'm sorry to say that these teachers have the most years of experience in teaching.
Deanna

Deanna

Son's Advocate
Old 10-26-2005, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Be your child's professional advocate and assist on an IEP which details your expectations of the staff for him. You can do it. You know him better than anyone. He will need a strong mom who can make him as normal as most of his other peers. These accomplishment may seem small but will become larger as they gather momentum. Don't give up. Be encouraged the more you do for him now the better his furture will be. Good luck.
Kennedy

Kennedy

Classroom Mods
Old 10-29-2005, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

As a special educator and case manager, I ensure that my students are getting the most appropriate education. Believe me, I KNOW how hard it is to get some reg. teachers to get on board. It's hard to work with them, and the worst, in my opinion, is those teachers who you like socially - as a person or at lunch or outside of school - but not as a teacher of your kids! That's so tough!

I think you should provide modified materials for this child. Find out what unit is coming next - go to team meetings, stop by before or after school, pick up a text book, etc. - and find or create materials that your child can do relating to the curriculum. After all, that's what he's there for, right? A few years ago, I created modified text for all scence and ss units. I used Writing With Symbols and paraphrased selected information from the text the teacher was using. Depending on the child's needs, you can make matching or fill-in activities, find coloring pages that are applicable, and check-out low-level books from the library. You might want to provide suggestions for general activities that can be used every chapter/topic for prereading, during, and after-reading activities. This is a good (sneaky) way to help the teacher address IEP objectives as well. For example:
Pre-Reading: Highlight all the sight words or topic words (provide 1 or 2 for him to find in the text); Look at the pictures and make a prediction. Tell a neighbor what you already know about "X".
During: Put a sticky note next to one thing you learned or next to the coolest illustration.
After: Draw a picture showing one thing you learned or copy one picture from the book. Complete a graphic orgnizer (that you have already taught how to use!)

I know it's hard and it can take a lot of time. In my experience, once teachers see what I've created, they're pleased to have a means to include the child in the class, and they eventually came to do some modifications on their own. One teacher limited the vocab to include only 5 most important terms by just adapting the WS she made for the whole class. Another started checking-out thematic books from the library for ALL students each unit (she'd just never though to do that!). It's great when it works out positively for the child and for the teachers!!

Hope these ideas help you out! Best of luck!