Help

Special Education

intervention

>

3boys:)

intervention
Old 07-27-2008, 07:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am going to a have a third grade intervention class this year. Most of these children have already been retained once, some twice. I have taught inclusion but this is different. I will not have any "higher' students to help with peer teaching or anything that I am used to. We have what is called "iii" time everyday for 45 minutes. This time is to be used to help those students who are struggling with specific skills. We are to teach every child who is struggling everyday during this time. However, the majority of my class is already falling into that category and I have 16 of them. I need some fresh ideas that I can use with small groups and whole group that will help me teach my students in the best way possible. I have a minor in special ed., but I have not taught it and it has been 11 years since I graduated. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks a bunch!!

3boys:) is offline   Reply With Quote

SpecialAnne

Hmmmm
Old 07-28-2008, 05:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would assess to see what specific needs they have... try grouping them together as much as possible. The first thing I thought of was drill drill drill... quick snappy things... flashcards etc

I think you can still use the peer teaching... this often helps to encourage improvement...everyone is good at something!
SpecialAnne is offline   Reply With Quote

Prissy2

Grouping
Old 07-28-2008, 06:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If the students can't be grouped together, maybe you can try center rotations every 15/20 minutes with two groups. Meeting with each group once. Even this is a large group for struggling students. This is all I have to offer. I hope that it helps.
Prissy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Narrative C

Check out Debbie Diller's
Old 07-30-2008, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

book Practice with Purpose--Literacy Work Stations for Grades 3-6.

Although you have lower-functioning students, her methodology and instruction would still work for your small groups.

Also, check out Great Leaps reading and math. They have a website. I think it's Greatleaps.com. I used Great Leaps when I taught special ed resource and it was WONDERFUL.

Also, I used Touchpoints math and it was also wonderful, but very $$$. It is very concrete and all my kids did well with it, loved it, and make great gains.

Don't forget to look for things on the computer, also. If your basal series has anything that can be done on computer, use that.

Accelerated Reader is another great resource, and it helps with comprehension, test-taking skills and computer skills. I didn't have a quota of points for my students, but they did earn rewards when they passed a test.

Good luck! Please feel free to pm me if you'd like to talk more!

Narrative C

Last edited by Narrative C; 07-30-2008 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: spelling
Narrative C is offline   Reply With Quote

3boys:)

Thanks!!
Old 07-31-2008, 05:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for the advice and ideas!! I am really excited about teaching and reaching this new group to the best of my ability.

3boys:) is offline   Reply With Quote