Help

Special Education

Help!!!

>

3boys:)

Help!!!
Old 08-23-2008, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have an inclusion class this year. We had school for one day and have been out two (because of Fay). I have 19 children, 5 are SLD and two more are pending. I also have one ESOL, SLD child. I have taught inclusion before. However, I am a little nervous this year for many different reasons. One is the fact that 3 of my SLD students need to have the curriculum modified to below grade level(according to their IEP). They all also have many accommodations. All of the rest of my students are fairly low as well. I have an aide for 30 min. in the morning and 30 min. in the afternoon. We also have a new ESE teacher for third grade who has never taught ESE or third grade curriculum. She has taught for only two years total in 4th and always made comments in the past on how the students who came to her knew nothing, (basically a dig at all of us 3rd grade teachers). She came to me on the first day of school and told me she would like to be in the classroom with me the 1st nine weeks to observe. Then she would like to co-teach with me the rest of the year. I do NOT want to do this, especially with her. She makes me and the other inclusion teacher very uncomfortable. My three SLD students who have their curriculum modified are technically full time (they have been in the past and it is on their IEP's). As much as I hate to do it because I feel I could do a better job (I do have ESE training but am not certified) and feel like I am sending the sheep right to the wolf, I would like them to go to her so she would not be in my class. I am not sure what to do or even how to approach her or the principal (who is not very experienced, supportive or fair). I guess I really need to vent, but am asking advice from ESE teachers, like you guys, who have the experience being on the other end on what, I, as the "regular" teacher need to do to help these children.

3boys:) is offline   Reply With Quote

jeejer

9 weeks!
Old 08-24-2008, 04:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That is a long time to be just "observing" in my opinion. If it "has to be" I would say four weeks of "observing" is plenty then put her to work on helping those kids with major modifications. She can "observe" from a working perspective so to speak.
jeejer is offline   Reply With Quote

lakeviewSPED

too long!
Old 08-24-2008, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree, 9 weeks is way too long to be 'observing' without contributing to your classroom. I'm not sure I'd let someone 'observe' me teacher longer than a week without starting to do something to help out...even if you have to spell it out for her in the beginning.

As for her attitude, could it be that she had no idea what a third grader came to you knowing, and was just being unrealistic about what they should know by fourth grade? This may be a wake up call for her to see what typical third graders can do at the beginning of the year, and how much you third grade teachers teach them before they go into the fourth grade. It might be that this will be a great lesson for her, and the attitude may just vanish...

I job shared for several years, and can honsely say it's great IF you and the other teacher get along and communicate well...if not it is a horrible experience. I would try to hold her off on that until you decide that you are comfortable and ready to do that...then who knows maybe it will turn into a great experience!
lakeviewSPED is offline   Reply With Quote