Special Education

check list to stop rushing

>

constance

constance

check list to stop rushing
Old 10-19-2005, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a regular education teacher with many special ed students in my class. Today at an IEP meeting the team recommended that I create a check list for my student, whose behavior prevents her from performing her best. She rushes! She just completed last week's state assessment in 8 minutes. Swears she's done every time I ask her to relook at the questions. This behavior is chronic. I thought a checklist was a good idea but what bullets should I include. I'd love to hear from you. Thank you.

lunalu

lunalu

checklist
Old 10-22-2005, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Here are a few ideas to help with this rushing student:
-only give him one page at a time of the test
- Teach him/her the strategy of covering all but one question at a time with a blank sheet
- offer a reward when you see him/her reviewing their test and looking for errors
- Take a yellow highlighter and quickly highlight the questions he/she should "read again" before turning it in.
-give him/her his own "office" quiet space to work without distractions ( this could simply be a test shield).
- get an asst. to be the anchor and be sure he/she complies during important test taking.

In terms of a check list
- reread all questions and answers
- did I use my "strategies" ? always teach strategies (highlight, cover, breathing, my own office space,anything that the students recognizes as helpful to them.
- I hope these ideas are helpful.