Help

Special Education

Lesson Plans?

>

htimsrs3

Lesson Plans?
Old 08-30-2008, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been a special education teacher for 4 years and love it (except all the paperwork). I did inclusion all that time and now I have been moved to Special Ed Self Contained classroom this year. I have 2 down's 5 year olds and 2-4th graders that are at a 1-2nd grade level, a MR pre-ker and 1-1st grader that has seizers. How would you do a lesson plan for this? I have the SEs listed and all but I am not sure how to put it all on paper.

htimsrs3 is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

I have a similar situation
Old 08-30-2008, 07:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

in my school. I keep a plan book going and try to at least sketch out a basic plan and know what books, manipulatives, and copies I might need several days in advance. I set up my lessons using several different factors, generally using a basic skeleton of the scope and sequence for first grade level as that is where most of my students are at academically. Then I factor in the individual student IEP goals, the objectives I hope to cover, and even some topics the general ed teachers are covering.

That said, however, my plan book is kind of a combination of the lesson objectives I hope to cover and a journal of things actually covered. I don't generally plan with a lot of details unless I am covering something new or something old in a new way. I leave a lot of room for review and a second or third go at new things. I also try to leave some wiggle room for teachable moments.

I set it up where I do a lot of small group lessons were appropriate and as much 1:1 or 1:2 as I can.

My biggest complaint about SpEd is that a lot of it is 'catch as catch can' with whatever supplies, resources, etc. we can scratch up. Good luck and God Bless.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

heart4sped

never the same
Old 08-30-2008, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a class for multiple disabilities and each student basically has their own curriculum. The format for my plans changes every year, usually a couple of times at the beginning of each year until I get a system worked out. Last year, I divided my plans into sections.

1. weekly IEP objectives for each student
2. daily schedule (w/specific activities such as speech, PT, OT, etc.)
3. teacher assignment/activities--My assistant and I rotated groups of students during tablework. This section listed who each of us would have and what things we'd be doing with them
4. Thematic/seasonal--The afternoon was our time for fun stuff--fine motor projects, etc.
5. Assistive technology--some of my students used devices and communication systems.
6. Websites--listing of accessible websites relating to theme, etc. for students to check out during the week.

I'm trying to keep the same system for this year, but will probably make a few changes.
heart4sped is offline   Reply With Quote

htimsrs3

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2008, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the advice this gives me something to go on as it is my first year to do this. What about TAKS-M and TAKS-ALT any infor on that. My 4th graders are supose to take TAKS M on 4th grade level and can not read alone at all. any suggestions?
Thanks again.

whatever

As to the tests,
Old 08-31-2008, 08:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

get them used to whatever they are epected to do at the test time WAY BEFORE the actual test. Those that take the reg ed test with accommodations get practice doing the testing protocol along the school year and not just two weeks before the test...We work on taking the test w/o help, with read aloud and with the use of a scribe or whatever their accommodations might be. As a matter of fact, I cannot allow them to use a calculator [or math tables] as an accommodation on the test unless it is presented within the regular school year.

I get in shape for the alt test by a similar process in that I set up some of the lessons in the format required in the portfolios and introduce the students to some similar goals and objectives. I gather the information and collect the data in similar way all year so that is really nothing new there.

whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

smruss

could you....
Old 09-03-2008, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

To heart4sped.....Hi! Is there any way you could attach a copy of the plan you described? This is my 2nd year teaching and I've yet to find a lesson plan or schedule that works. It is the hardest part of the job for me and I've tried more than enough formats. Any suggestions for plan/schedule organization would be more than greatly appreciated.

Last edited by smruss; 09-03-2008 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: address to person
smruss is offline   Reply With Quote

htimsrs3

for me too Please?
Old 09-03-2008, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would greatly appreciate any ideas and formats too. That is what I am also having a hard time with the format as well.

heart4sped

heres a sample
Old 09-05-2008, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Here is a sample of what I'm using now. It's different (again) from last year and it will probably change by next week. A lot of things are repeated---because my students take a little longer to master certain skills. Each student has an activity box containing all of their specific inidividual activities. We do small group (2 students) and individual work. Their attention spans are very short so we have to keep it moving. Individual skills are on a separate sheet with spaces to mark progress, behaviors, etc. for each day. Great documentation on progress. It's extra paperwork, but it works out overall I think. I haven't found a way to document what I need with less paperwork. I'm always looking though, so any suggestions are appreciated.

Disclaimer-- The schedule shown is approximate. The only things that have definite times are activity periods, lunch and packing up. Everything else is extremely flexible.
Attached Files
File Type: doc lesson plan sample.doc (71.5 KB, 170 views)

turtle123

Thank you
Old 09-05-2008, 09:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This is my first year with a K-2 self contained lass. I'm finding it difficult to obtain appropriate materials. The lesson plan you posted will help me organize what I do have.
turtle123 is offline   Reply With Quote

htimsrs3

Thank you so much!!!
Old 09-08-2008, 08:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thank you again. It was exactly what I was looking for and it will help me. The less paperwork we have to do the better!! Have a great week!

miety

To heart4sped
Old 09-10-2008, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Do you get the Individual skills off of the IEP? If not do you have a copy of it you can send?

Thanks
miety is offline   Reply With Quote

heart4sped

skill sheet sample
Old 09-10-2008, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Yes, I take individual skills from the IEP, but sometimes I have to break them down into more manageable steps. I'm attaching a copy of one of the skill sheets. Some students have more skills than others, and some days we don't cover every skill. It's very flexible. It's been really helpful for me, mainly because I can see how students perform on the days when they work with my assistant. She writes anything that she thinks I might need to know about their work that day on the back. I use the back for recording assessment data. At the end of the week, I have all the information needed to record their progress and plan for next week.
Attached Files
File Type: doc sample skills sheet.doc (38.5 KB, 126 views)

htimsrs3

Stress Saver !!
Old 09-11-2008, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I just wanted to thank you again because all of the information that you have given us has truley relived my stress!! I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what to use to record what to do with them and what I need to work on, and the information you have given has helped me figure out what to do! Thanks a Million!!!!!!

heart4sped

You're welcome!
Old 09-11-2008, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I'm so glad that it's something you can use. That's one of the reasons I enjoy this message board. I always find something practical and useful here. Best of luck with your class this year!

sped74

what grade do you teach heart4sped?
Old 09-12-2008, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I love your ideas and i wonder if i can use this for my high school kids?
sped74 is offline   Reply With Quote

heart4sped

little guys
Old 09-13-2008, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I teach K-2, but most of my students perform at a Pre-K to K level. I think the lesson plan and skill sheet formats could work for high school kids also. Feel free to make any changes or adjustments to fit what you're doing, tho. Hope it works for you!

Ed.U.Kator

Thank you!
Old 07-27-2010, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

These are great! Thanks for sharing!!
Ed.U.Kator is offline   Reply With Quote