Future SPED teacher needs your help again... - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Special Education

Future SPED teacher needs your help again...

>

kim_swygert

Future SPED teacher needs your help again...
Old 10-24-2005, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all,

I posted a few questions on the old board a month or so back, and you all were a tremendous help!!! Thank you again to all who responded.

I'm a liberal studies major at CSU, Chico with a concentration in SPED. I'm currently taking EDUC 302, Access and Equity in Education, a course taught by Dr. J. Kerrins. My professor has assigned 3 questions to ask a teacher of SPED. I'm hoping that maybe you won't mind taking a couple minutes to answer 3 quick questions...

a. What training, knowledge and know-how do regular education teachers need to best help students with special learning needs.

b. What should be the focus of special student time in the regular classroom?

c. If she (or he) had one piece of advice for prospective teachers who are just beginning the credential program what would it be?

Thank you in advance! If you would rather answer privately, feel free to send me a private message through the board.

Kim Swygert

kim_swygert is offline   Reply With Quote

speeder1

Old 10-24-2005, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

To questions:

A) MODIFYING - I have found that regular education teachers what to modify work, but often don't know how to go about modifying.

B) To me this depends on the students academic level. If a student is MR then he/she may be in the regular class for socialization and may be graded on participation only. Each student needs to be looked at individually to see what their academic potential could be and it should be maximized in the regular class and reinforced in the resource room.

C) Understand that they may be going to school for elementary education but they will also have special education students in their classrooms. Be prepared and ask questions if you don't know or understand, because when it comes to a student with an IEP and modifications, the phrase "I didn't know I had to modify" wont cut it.
speeder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Deb2

Deb2

Answers
Old 10-24-2005, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Q: What training, knowledge and know-how do regular education teachers need to best help students with special learning needs.

A: The most important thing an educator needs to possess to work with any student, especially a student with special needs, is an OPEN MIND. The most important wisdom and knowledge a college professor can impart to education majors is a working knowledge of special education law and how failure to implement a child's accommodations/modifications can land a teacher in court.

Q: What should be the focus of special student time in the regular classroom?

A: As the previous post stated, it depends on each student's needs. A child with less-involved problems will probably be in the classroom for academics, while a student with more severe problems may be in the classroom for socialization.

Q: If she (or he) had one piece of advice for prospective teachers who are just beginning the credential program what would it be?

A: When in conversation with another teacher, paraprofessional, or administrator, do not EVER use the phrase, "THOSE children" to identify a special needs child. It's tacky, disrespectful, and hurtful. Our kids have feelings, too.

kim_swygert

Thank you so much!
Old 10-25-2005, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you Deb2 and speeder1 - I appreciate your responses.

I had no idea that some students are placed in gen. ed. classrooms for socialization purposes - I thought placement was just strictly for academics. I'm sure I'll learn more about this the farther along I advance in my major, and when I start student teaching.

Wow, Deb2 "those children" is horrible. What a step backward! That must be really shocking to hear - especially when interacting with other professionals.

Again, thank you so much for responding. I really enjoy this board, though I often lurk because I have nothing to contribute yet. I learn so much from you all. Thank you!

Kim Swygert
kim_swygert is offline   Reply With Quote
julz

julz

sped teacher response
Old 01-19-2006, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

sped teacher in wa, teacher for 6.5 years

a. teachers need to know how to specially design instruction. for example, a student who is in 10th grade but performs at a 4th grade level in reading and writing needs specially designed instruction not at a 10th grade level but at a 4th grade level inorder to gain understanding of the content through reading and writing.

b. reading, writing and math in the content area with specially designed instruction

c. take a stress management course, take a few courses in counseling

hope this helps - plus it helped me realise that I am doing the best I can even though I can't control a general ed teacher