Help

Special Education

Schedules for paras

>

kathie8572

Schedules for paras
Old 07-08-2009, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am new to doing self contained cross cat room (K-3). I have always done resource with no paras. I will have 2 Kinders in diapers, 6-2nd graders and 2-3rd graders. They are CP, MOMR, Autistic, etc. I will have 4 paras.

Can anyone give me a sample schedule of what the paras do and how to handle them. Three of the paras been at the school for some years and one will be new.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

kathie8572 is offline   Reply With Quote

newspedteach

Hi Kathie
Old 07-08-2009, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

no samples of anything other than a schedule here, but I learned the hard way that I need to spell out even the simplest duties and 'rules and regs' for my room. I am a pretty organized person and pretty much wrote schedules that accounted for every minute of their time (giving them some 'down time' to document, etc.) but I found that they had trouble with even a little unaccounted for time.

After 2 yrs. of working with a passive aggressive aide who wreaked havoc on my room and program (I'm a K-4 'resource room' sped teacher) I've decided to write a brief 'handbook' this summer for my remaining aide and the 'new' aide who will join me (the principal agreed with me about removing the one aide from my classroom).

The handbook will cover what should be done in spare time, expectations for every day and special occasions, etc. I had a lot of trouble with my aides making their own decisions for things that came up out of the ordinary. For example, they would send my kids back to class if I was even a couple of minutes late (this happened TWICE the first year and they were right there in the room anyway with their own groups---I was at an IEP meeting in the main building!). This is just one example. Also, my aide that is staying takes and makes cell phone calls...her cell rings and makes noises for texts coming through, etc. while students are with us. She called in sick many times w/o notifying me or the office and thought that was ok. Also, she decided to babysit her K nephew for the last 2 1/2 months of school without asking me. I kept thinking he was only there temporarily and was just about to ask her why he kept coming the last hour of her work day when she finally asked me if I minded. By that time, her sister had already notified his daycare that he had quit....I am a sucker, yeah, but I said ok, but NO more next year. You would think these things would be no brainers? Nope. I learned that you have to spell it out word for word. On this board alone, I've heard horror stories. I've also heard some stories of very good paras and wonderful teams working together. I still hope for that!!

With 4 paras, you will be very busy scheduling them, assigning duties, and then supervising them. I think this is almost as much (or in some cases, maybe more!) work as teaching the kiddos! Good luck. I am looking forward to replies here.
newspedteach is offline   Reply With Quote

molliemarie

Totally Understand
Old 07-09-2009, 12:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My first year I had five students and all five of them had one on one paras. It was a mad house in my room. By the end of the year I told my boss that all but one had to go. The kiddos were in my room all day except for specials. I was lucky the next year and got my request. I have had that same para from the get go and she is the best. The following years I have received new paras off and on. They were all nightmares. This past year our school had so many problems with paras. So much drama. (I was working more on social skills with the paras than I was with my kiddos.) I am in the process of getting my masters and for this last class I had to solve an authentic problem. I used the para problems and created a power point that will be shown at the beginning of the year to all paras in the district new and experienced. Basically all it says is what they are here for what they can do and what they shouldn't do.
molliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote

newspedteach

para power point
Old 07-09-2009, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

"I was working more on social skills with the paras than I was with my kiddos."

This is so true. I always tell people that TEACHING is the easiest part of my job by far. Dealing with the adults in the room (and sometimes out of the room, ) is the hardest.

I would love to see the power point you created or could you talk about what things you included? No pressure, but it would be great to know.

Thanks in advance,
NST
Hogfan111

Hogfan111

Ppt
Old 07-09-2009, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would love to see that too...

ophelia33

Old 07-09-2009, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

your PowerPoint sounds like a valuable tool!! I would love to see it as well. My school has rotated our paras for the past three years, which is an adjustment within itself. Establishing para expectations is definately a delicate situation.
ophelia33 is offline   Reply With Quote

molliemarie

power point
Old 07-10-2009, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am trying to figure out how to show it to you or attach it. Not having any luck. Any ideas?

newspedteach

attachments
Old 07-10-2009, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

oh, I just remembered....I think you have to have so many posts in order to post an attachment. Maybe someone else can clarify. I would be happy to PM you my email though, if you want to send it.

molliemarie

Old 07-10-2009, 08:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

That would be great.What do I need to do.

newspedteach

Pm
Old 07-10-2009, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I just PM'ed (private messaged) you my email. When you are on this board, you can see if you have private messages on the top left hand side of the page and just click on the link. I hope that was clear.

Thanks for being willing to share. I hope I can help you out sometime too!!

SpecKids4Me

Para handbook
Old 07-12-2009, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

This is the first time I have done this so don't know what I am doing, but would love to have a copy of your Para handbook.
SpecKids4Me is offline   Reply With Quote

SpecKids4Me

Para Powerpoint
Old 07-12-2009, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I too would like a copy of your powerpoint for Paras.
SpecKids4Me is offline   Reply With Quote

RAD

newspedteach
Old 07-12-2009, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Once kathie emails yout he powerpoint, would you be able to put it in a post on here? I know many of us could benefit from it.
Would that be OK Kathie?
Thanks.
RAD is offline   Reply With Quote

molliemarie

power point
Old 07-13-2009, 06:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I emailed newspedteach my power point. She will need to download it. I am not able to.

newspedteach

Here you go!
Old 07-13-2009, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Thanks again for sharing this, Molliemarie. It's great!
Attached Files
File Type: ppt The_Role_of_Paraprofessionals-Power_Point[1].ppt (471.0 KB, 107 views)

molliemarie

Power point
Old 07-14-2009, 05:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Not a problem. Glad to share with fellow teachers.

PrivateEyes

Love your powerpoint!
Old 07-14-2009, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I had two paras last year. One was an absolute dream, but she moved to another state mid-year. The other one was a nightmare. I can see how using your powerpoint would really help on at least setting expectations.

I did notice a couple of typos you might want to fix.

Slide 6: the word students is misspelled
Slide 9: the 4th bullet says "delegate task." Do you mean "delegate tasks?"

At least you know I read it carefully! Again, thanks for such a great powerpoint.
PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote

molliemarie

Thanks
Old 07-14-2009, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Thanks for the typos. It doesn't matter how many people look over things there always seems to be typos. Thanks for the heads up though. My school has such an issue with paras. For my masters class we have to solve (try to solve) an authentic problem. So I used this as the problem. Anything is worth a try.

SunflowerChic

Para powerpoint
Old 08-18-2009, 09:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Hello! I really liked your powerpoint. I was wondering if I could share this powerpoint with my administration? I think it is important to have everyone on the same page in the school. Thanks for letting me know!
SunflowerChic is offline   Reply With Quote

SunflowerChic

Para Powerpoint
Old 08-18-2009, 09:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Hello! I really liked your powerpoint. I was wondering if I could share this powerpoint with my administration? I think it is important to have everyone on the same page in the school. Thanks for letting me know!
SunflowerChic is offline   Reply With Quote