Help

Special Education

HELPS - Read Alouds

>

2teach4

HELPS - Read Alouds
Old 09-02-2009, 08:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello. I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions on read aloud back to school books for my 1st and 2nd grade self contained class. Also I plan on reading chapter books (a chapter or so a day after lunch/recess. Does anyone have any good suggestions. Thanks!!

2teach4 is offline   Reply With Quote

admininpink

Read alouds
Old 09-04-2009, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My favorite book to start the school year was always "Miss Nelson." It's humorous and helps you talk about appropriate behaviors. Another good one is "The Brand New Kid" by Katie Couric. It helps the students start to relate to each other and works well if your students are newly placed together. You could also try "No Copycats Allowed."

One year I read "The Little Engine that Could" to help my self-contained K-2 students to help them with goal setting. They loved that because in addition to the goals that I had for them, they got to create their own goals to work toward all year.

As far as chapter books, let your students choose. Chances are there are books they want to read, but can't because they are beyond their reading level. My 3rd and 4th graders loved the Harry Potter series for class read alouds because their peers were reading the books.
admininpink is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach4

thanks
Old 09-04-2009, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

thanks for the help and ideas
2teach4 is offline   Reply With Quote

hapEteachr

read alouds
Old 09-05-2009, 04:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

"Edward Fudwupper Fibbed Big" by Berkley Breathe is a book that my students always a love. It has some rhyming, very funny pictures, and is very creative, yet it still has a lesson.

Read alphabet books to your class that go into detail about the state you live in. I read "K is for Keystone" to my students. You can have large cards with all of the letters of the alphabet made before class and randomly distribute them to individuals to spread on their desk to put up on the chalk tray in the order that you come to the letters. (This will help students remain engaged... I just did this yesterday with my autistic support class.) You could also ask students if they've been to these places, or if they can guess what would be next for a certain letter if it is a familiar topic.

"My School is a Zoo" is another quick read book that I read to my students. They liked looking at the animals, and following the book, I made an interactive Power Point where we would go back into the book to find the answers. I would then have students go up to the screen and point to what they thought was the correct answer.
hapEteachr is offline   Reply With Quote