Help

Special Education

How to get it all done???

>

3under5

How to get it all done???
Old 10-20-2009, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

For the first time, in a really long time, I was proud and confident of the reading instruction that was happening in my classroom. I had done my research and selected a good reading series, that I felt could make a difference with my kids. My students were receiving direct instruction in reading and language at their instructional level. I hadn't really worried about grade level content because I felt they weren't ready for it! BUT..at a state department meeting today the big discussion was on our state reading test and how it must be given at grade level to all students. That all students should be getting instruction at grade level and instructional level. If students do not receive some type of exposure to grade level content we are widening, not closing the gap for them. My question is: How do I fit it all in? How are other teachers scheduling their reading time? I really felt that what my kids were receiving this year could really make a difference for them, but come to find out I may be doing more harm than good.........

3under5 is offline   Reply With Quote

tulip5

Old 10-20-2009, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

ugh.. our state is the same. If I have a special ed student that is in the 3rd grade and is reading on a Kinder level.. to expect him/her to be able to read a grade level assessment is rediculous. I realize they only have to make a 50 to pass.. but what does that really show.. they can guess well? These kids are not dumb.. and when they take a grade level practice assessment and bomb it! They DO realize it and all that we have done as teacher to build up their self esteem is torn down completely and the rebuilding begins again. If a special ed student can make a gain of bridging a gap of 4 years.. that child should be gifted and talented NOT special ed. Lets grade our children on individual growth.. don't we develop individual education plans?? why cant we have individual testing plans. GOOD GRIEF.. doesn't the state realize not all kids fit into a mold... and what does this do to the self esteem of our students.!
tulip5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Special Texan

Old 10-21-2009, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You still need to do some pull out for individual instruction, and work on IEPs, but allow the student some exposure to grade level objectives/standards. It is hard to balance everything, but as mentioned, we are working on showing individual progress of each student. Most of all be a good cheer leader for yor students so they feel their growth and success.
Special Texan is offline   Reply With Quote