Help

Special Education

Confused

>

3under5

Confused
Old 11-21-2009, 11:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am working in a school that is trying to select a new reading series. The general ed. staff has narrowed it down to two choices: Treasures and Reading Mastery. We have a high SPED population and high free and reduced lunch population. My case load is really getting large for a school our size. I have purchased Reading Mastery with my stimulus money and have started using it for my students that were reading 1-2 years below grade level. Unfortunately I am only one person and it seems that I get more and more students who fall into this category. I serve pre-k to 5th grade and don't have enough hours in the day to each that many grade levels of reading, also address math, handle paperwork, and progress monitor/record data. I know that everyone works hard and am not unwilling to carry the load, but truly feel if the general education would go with Reading Mastery, then lower sped numbers and less students needing an alternate curriculum would be the result. That being said, I think that this group of teachers us unwilling to make the change. They don't like the direct instruction model and are unsure of which to choose. I think that if we choose Treasures, it will be more of the same. By same I mean a lot of students needing interventions for reading and more sped kids needing alternate curriculum. I am not sure I am looking for answers, but maybe some support or ideas. It is to the point I am thinking of applying for a gen. ed. job in another school district because I don't want to be bailing water from the boat for another 6 years.

3under5 is offline   Reply With Quote

kristabel

Old 11-22-2009, 03:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

3under5,
I just want to say that I feel your pain. What we are asked to do with the available hours in the day... it's just stupid. It renders SPED useless, but we still work like dogs. How are you supposed to teach 7 grade levels within a day? You cannot. All we can do is write our state department and center our concerns around the best interest of the children.

I did it about 4 years ago when I had a self contained class. I wrote; I called. About a year later, the max class size for self contained classes was lowered. Did I single-handedly make the change? Probably not, but I let my voice be heard and I outlined the concerns about any child receiving an appropriate education under the conditions we were forced to operate.

I am glad you posted this. I was just mulling over a letter to our DPI about the vast span of grade levels that elementary school resource teachers are forced to cover. When we had more than one person to cover the grades, it was better. Now it's just me. Time to dust off the pen and get cracking.
kristabel is offline   Reply With Quote