Help

Special Education

IEP is not followed What do I do

>

4thekid

IEP is not followed What do I do
Old 10-11-2011, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My district is not following an existing IEP. They are providing none of the services in it and one administrator stated that the parents in this area don't know the law anyway. I am at a loss. Any advice?

4thekid is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Wow.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That is absolutely insane. I would document, document, document. You don't say what your role is, but make be sure to keep careful records of what you're doing, and what others aren't doing. I would also make sure to write down as much of those conversations with administrators as possible.
pdxteacher is online now   Reply With Quote

4thekid

Old 10-12-2011, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am a paraprofessional and have been with my district for 6 years. I believe that advocating for any child is important but have been told to "worry about my own job". The problem there is that no one is doing anything. When the regular ed teacher complained about saftey issues, she was told that was the IEP teams job and to worry about her job. First of all, she is part of the IEP team as this childs teacher. Second,I know enough about the law to know that teacher can be held accountable for some of the violations, I am not sure if I can be or not. This childs parents call me every couple weeks to check in. I have been told that if I talk to them I am not to tell them that she is not getting the hours with me as a PCA/educational aid stated in her IEP and that I am breaking confidentiality if I do. Well, I am not lying for anyone or I am part of the problem. This situation is so much like the dark ages it makes me ill.
4thekid is offline   Reply With Quote

Azure

Then
Old 10-12-2011, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

you need to go about it in a round about way. State the school has scheduled you to work with ____ these days during these times.

That is the truth-just a fact. If the parents question you about the hours-direct them to the administrator or the building or central office. You can only do so much.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote

acorngirl

document
Old 10-12-2011, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Document EVERYthing you do as its' related to the IEP. This way, when it comes back to "you didn't do xyz", then you can say yes or no and have data.

Also document your conversations. If you can get them in email (to create a paper trail) do it.

And, in our district, assistants aren't allowed to talk to parents about progress, etc. I'd limit your interactions with parents, if possible.

acorngirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tessa_Rue

Old 10-12-2011, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

That is so sad and so wrong. I wish I had advice for you. I would maybe point the parents to some advocacy groups in the area, if there are any. You could also direct them to wrightslaw.com.

I would press them about what they said about confidentiality...how would you be breaking confidentiality if you are only discussing that child and how much time you spend with them? I would also be documenting like crazy - not only when you work with that student, but also what they have you doing when you're not with that student.

Is there anyone higher up you can go to with your concerns?
Tessa_Rue is offline   Reply With Quote

blueheron

I was just asking the school psychologist
Old 10-22-2011, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

about this issue. According to him it is legal, because each state and district is allowed to interpret IDEA according to its own criteria. I have two students with existing out of district IEPs that are current. One is from within the state, and the other is from another state. The mother of the out of state student hand delivered the IEP, so I had it before the old district sent the records. On the out of district IEP, the areas of specially designed instruction were reading, written expression, math reasoning, communication, and social skills. Whoever assesses IEPs for the district removed math reasoning and social skills, both of which the child clearly needs. Organizational/study skills was removed from the out of state IEP. One quick glance at this kid's desk would indicate the absurdity of removing that area. I asked the psych how it could be OK not to follow the existing IEP, which was created by the team and signed by the parents. He gave me the above answer about differing criteria, and warned me that I was breaking the law if I provided SDI in those original issues. Raspberry on that one.... Will you all come visit me if I get put in the pokey?

Last edited by blueheron; 10-22-2011 at 12:56 PM..
blueheron is offline   Reply With Quote