Help

Special Education

sped students can't make As?

>

!ncog_neato

sped students can't make As?
Old 03-18-2014, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Today I was told that my sped students can't get an A on their report card. I'm quite miffed. The reasoning was because "if they can make As then they shouldn't be in sped". Then I said, "well if their functioning level is a grade level below AND documented on the report card, then why not?"

!ncog_neato is offline   Reply With Quote

hiker1

Old 03-18-2014, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I hear the same thing. Part of me understands the reasoning. Some employers at part-time jobs want to see report cards. If they see a student with all A's and the student can't read or do basic math they wonder what is going on in the school. We can't modify the report card so that it lets the parents/others know that it s a modified A. I wish I had an answer for you. I am in the same predicament.
hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

WIBadgerFan

Old 03-18-2014, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It annoys me when reg ed teachers say that. I also try to explain to them that Special education students are supposed to be receiving instruction at their level and with modifications if they need them to be successful. That is the whole purpose of having an IEP. There is no reason they should not be able to receive A's. Some still don't get it.
WIBadgerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Valone

Old 03-18-2014, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have explained it to my high school students:

Bob needs glasses to he can see clearly. Robert has a hearing aide so he can hear clearly. Not everyone needs a hearing aide or glasses. Some need longer time to take a test. Some cannot focus on an entire page of small writing. We need to make sure that each student only gets what they need in order to level the playing field.

Yes, I have also used this for fellow teachers!
Valone is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-18-2014, 08:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would have to disagree with everyone here. If a sped student is getting an A with modified tests and work, they are getting too many modifications. You are doing them a disservice by modifying to the point of them getting an A because they're showing you that they're capable of doing more. Pull back on the modifications and raise the expectations for them. It's better for them to get a B or C on the real general education curriculum than to get an A on modified curriculum. Think about their success long term- is it better that they learn and understand more or get an A on their report card?

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

!ncog_neato

Old 03-19-2014, 04:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I get what you're saying Haley, but this is a 1st grader on a modified sight word reading curriculum. I know that I can add comprehension questions, but it's amazing that this student with moderate disabilities is reading.

But to say that no sped student should ever get an A is like saying no student EVER should get an A. This is the equivalent to the teachers' evaluation system using the Danielson Rubric. The highest is a 4, but you'll never attain that. We're just going to dangle that carrot for amusement.
!ncog_neato is offline   Reply With Quote

Melar

report cards
Old 03-19-2014, 05:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Our report cards are grade level standards based. If my SDC or RSP students can do the work on grade level work to deserve an A then we need to reevaluate them or the accommodations and modifications they receive. Most of my students are working 2-3 years below grade level standards, they should not be able to receive an A on a grade level standards based report card unless they can do the work at standard. That is where the IEP Progress Report or other reporting methods come in. Document the progress there, not on the report card.
Melar is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 03-19-2014, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Our school did what melar said_ students are graded on standards based report card according to where they are in the grade level standards. They receive progress reports that show progress on specially designed instruction.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsh66

Adding 2 cents
Old 03-19-2014, 12:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I get the logic behind "grade level standards." However, what is this doing for the child's self-esteem? I have students that work incredibly hard to reach the goals set and I have students who do not put forth the same amount of effort nor achieve the same results. Does this mean we don't delineate between the two because their IEP goals are not aligned to grade level standards?

If a standards based report card has a standard for reading comprehension and my 4th grader, who is reading at a 2nd grade level can answer inference questions based on 4th grade text at 92% accuracy, when it is read aloud (*The accommodation outlined in the IEP). Yes I believe they've earned an A based on that skill. I would also add a comment to the report card that the student achieved this goal with the accommodations outline in the IEP. Would I give them an A for being able to read and decode text at a complexity level of 4th grade? No.

What is the point of having an IEP if we are still going to say you are in adequate? What is the point of accommodations if teachers (Both gen and spec ed) are not using them during assessment? If you are a gen. ed teacher and still don't understand this concept, please take a day or even an hour and spend some time working with these students. Put yourself in there shoes. Ask, how am I assessing their performance if there IQ assessment shows they have a significant deficit in short term memory or processing speed? I'm not trying to be rude but there is a significant lack of understanding in this area.

Ok. I'm done. Sorry this is a bit of a ramble. I just get frustrated with this topic.
mrsh66 is offline   Reply With Quote

WIBadgerFan

Old 03-19-2014, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I also have to disagree that if a special education student is getting an A then they are getting too many modifications. I have students who get modified tests, help when needed with work, and things read out loud to them and they can get an A (science/social studies). They know the material, but just need modifications to show it, so why shouldn't they get an A?

I also agree with the PP about reading at a lower level, but being able to do 4th grade comprehension. I have a student (8th grade) who reads at a 3rd grade level, but the common core standards at 8th grade don't want me to measure how well she reads they want to know things about plot, characters, etc. If I give her a book at her level she can pick out/do all the stuff common core wants from here, so again, why shouldn't she get an A?

WIBadgerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Miller
Old 03-19-2014, 03:18 PM
This message has been deleted by Miller. Reason: accident

Valone

Old 03-24-2014, 06:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I currently have a student with some mild medical and social behavioral issues. She has a 133 IQ.

If she isn't getting A's IMO the general ed teacher is not understanding the modifications this student needs. She needs frequent sensory breaks in order to maintain attention. She is easily distracted and is easily annoyed so she needs to sit in a location where she does not become agitated.
MissSunnyDay2

MissSunnyDay2

Valone
Old 03-24-2014, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

What you are describing are accommodations. It doesn't change the content of what is learned, it changes the access to it.

Modifications means the content itself is changed. For example, the standard is multiplication of 3 digit numbers but the special education student is working on single digit multiplication. The content is modified.

That is why modifications can derail a high school diploma while accommodations cannot.

ConnieWI

In My District...
Old 03-24-2014, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

EEN students in my district do not get the same report card as regular ed kids. The EEN report card is based on the IEP goals, accommodations, and modifications. These goals are typed into a report card format, and then scored like the regular report card...4, 3, 2, 1.

4 = advanced
3 = proficient
2 = basic
1 = minimal

Parents understand that the goals for an EEN student are not the same as for a regular ed student. Thus, the report card is modified also. This is specifically written into the IEP goals, just like taking untimed test, having test material except reading read aloud (on state testing) and all test items read aloud on all other classroom assessments, etc.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Valone

Old 03-27-2014, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

http://www.ncld.org/ld-insights/blog...paign=ldaction

Modifications can also be changes that do not change the academic expectations. For some children they need these behavior modifications in order to participate in the general education classroom.

Breaks between tasks Use peer supports and mentoring
Cue expected behavior Model expected behavior by adults
Daily feedback to student Have parent sign homework
Have contingency plans Have parent sign behavior chart
Use de-escalating strategies Set and post class rules
Use positive reinforcement Chart progress and maintain data
Use proximity/touch control

Last edited by Valone; 03-27-2014 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: added information

anngirl

Old 03-27-2014, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Interesting. I've never had this issue. We have the opposite trouble. We are never allowed to give an F to students in sped. I argue that if I'm following the IEP, an the student chooses not to work to their potential, they deserve an F.

I was appalled at my last school. I got in trouble because I had a student in speech for stuttering (they said speech = sped) and he failed math. I was required to put in a grade change and bump it up to 70! No wonder we have so many slackers! Teachers are punished when students do not try.
anngirl is offline   Reply With Quote