Special Education teacher Post-a-thon! PLEASE POST! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Special Education

Special Education teacher Post-a-thon! PLEASE POST!

>

GraceKrispy

Special Education teacher Post-a-thon! PLEASE POST!
Old 09-16-2016, 10:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi master Special Education teachers!

Tell us: What is something you teach every year in your classes that you particularly look forward to and why?

(This could be a lesson you particularly like, special skills you enjoy teaching, a program you use with students or co-teachers if you're in that model)

GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 09-16-2016, 10:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I was teaching in a special education resource room, my favorite lessons were math/science lessons that I integrated with food I love food, and I loved to teach to goals while making food. I found it fun and motivating (for all of us). How about you?
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

whatever

I could use some food ideas...
Old 09-17-2016, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a kitchen in my classroom this year. I enjoy teaching life skills--I really see my purpose most when they "get it" in these areas.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Math
Old 09-17-2016, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I like to use local football scores to do math problems. Kids like solving them because they recognize the names in them.
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Old 09-17-2016, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love the food ideas... I think I need to do more of this.

It's hard to think of something I do every year, since I have the same kids year after year. But one thing I've done a few times is make quilts with the students. They cut squares from a huge assortment I have, and then sew them together into simple patches. I take the tops home and quilt them and put on the binding. They're SO proud of their blankets!

Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

momteachsis

Old 09-17-2016, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I like teaching the cooking lessons that are incorporated in our curriculum. My favorite Science lessons are the 5 senses and sink/float. Those are the two that are the most understood by my students with multiple disabilities.
momteachsis is offline   Reply With Quote

Spedhed

Old 09-17-2016, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I coteach 5 and 6 math inclusion and none of my students are fluent (yet) with multiplication facts. They use a multiplication chart in class to support them. This sounds boring, but I love working on multiplication facts with my students when I pull them once a week. We use Rocket Math which introduces 1-2 new facts with each new level. I have a separate set of flashcards for each student sequenced according to Rocket Math's order. When they pass a level, they get to get the next level's cards and add them to their ring. They love the individual attention, and they get so jacked when they are actually able to remember a fact in the gen ed room while doing a long multiplication or division problem. Best moment was last year a sixth grade student who was getting ready to move on to junior high returned her multiplication chart to me with a note that said "here is your chart back, I don't need it anymore."

Also, completely unrelated, we use nerf guns with suction darts to shoot at our white board onto a projected coordinate grid to practice writing ordered pairs. That's always a good day.
Spedhed is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemSped13

Old 09-17-2016, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I like the activities we do with decimals and grocery ads. I give them a budget to plan a meal. They practice adding and subtracting and estimating. Sometimes we multiply decimals for tax or to use multiple products. The kids really seem to enjoy it and we can discuss lots of real life skills with it.
ElemSped13 is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 09-17-2016, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I teach language & one lesson I really like is role-playing situations so the kids can tell me what they'd do in various situations.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

My class
Old 09-17-2016, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am lucky enough to co-teach as well as have self-contained every other day. I love helping students find the right book for them and watching reluctant readers start to bloom. I have been using a specific reading program that was developed by another teacher in my state and shared with many of us. It works well and has quick hits for vocabulary, word work, reading and writing skills. I am using this an integrating Notice and Note along with Book Love. Wish me luck this year!

teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

WIBadgerFan

Old 09-17-2016, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I co-teach or do support all day. My favorite thing is in one of the grades I'm in the teacher lets them pick their own books to read for reading class. They have short sheets they need to fill out, but I like that they get to pick their own books. I work in middle school, so I read all the class novels to them because they are above their decoding level. When they pick their own books they have to pick ones they can read on their own, which the don't do much by middle school.
WIBadgerFan is online now   Reply With Quote

suz3

props
Old 09-18-2016, 04:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I teach resource k-5 so all day I have a mixture of ages and levels. My students love when I set up their stations and use props (yes, even those big 5th grade boys!). This week we are using Tomie dePaola books so their is pasta to use. We have gummy chicken feet to go with Tom and dinosaur eggs for Little Grunt and the Big Egg. Never to old to have fun and learn!
suz3 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachingtall

EBD Joys
Old 09-18-2016, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

There is nothing special about a certain lesson I teach, but the ones i like the teach the most where the kids can see the direct impact of their actions. I especially like the ones where I can show that what they are doing is not helping them, in fact could be hurting them.
teachingtall is offline   Reply With Quote

teach1975

inclusion
Old 09-18-2016, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I am doing inclusion this year and have enjoyed teaching some Kagan structures in small groups so it isn't just more worksheets.......
teach1975 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gimet

Old 09-18-2016, 09:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I'm retired now, but I taught ECSE for over twenty years and loved it. So besides the students, I really liked using Zoophonics, parts of Handwriting Without Tears and teaching nursery rhymes and literature based lessons with associated art projects.
Gimet is offline   Reply With Quote

looteach13

Teach
Old 09-19-2016, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I teach students with Behavior Needs. I love teaching them calm down strategies. It's awesome when you see a kiddo use one of those strategies instead of getting aggressive! Some of my favorites are deep breaths, asking for a break, counting slowly forward or backwards.
looteach13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Purplecrayons

Old 09-20-2016, 01:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

This is my first year . I teach severe and profound students . My students are using Unique curriculum . They really enjoy the cooking part of the lessons.
Purplecrayons is online now   Reply With Quote

Seaturtle08

First day
Old 09-20-2016, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I work with kids with mod-severe autism. On the first day of school, I read the book I ain't gonna paint no more and then I have them paint in a body outline. It's my version of a first day of school self portrait!
Seaturtle08 is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 09-20-2016, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

One of the things I love most about teaching a life skills class is that I get to teach kids how to make a grilled cheese sandwich. One year I made photographs and a modeled a video lesson. It's pretty much our favorite day of the year.
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

catandturtle

Old 09-20-2016, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

This is my first year teaching sped but I really enjoy using the unique curriculum. It is very easy to prep and use.
catandturtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Opal

Old 09-24-2016, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

This is my 2nd year as a elementary CC sped teacher....I really enjoy teaching social skills...using Michelle Garcia Winner social thinking curriculum...so cool to see kids "think" about their thinking and make smart choices...also enjoy the connections kids make with my paraprofessional and me and our ability to help them in the regular education classroom
Opal is offline   Reply With Quote

QW

lots of things...
Old 09-26-2016, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I love to teach cooking in my self-contained intensive needs classroom. I also love science--teaching them about the world around them, especially in October when we learn about spiders, bats, skeletons, and do pumpkin science. I also love it when kids learn to read! I like making active learning games to develop language skills, too.
QW is offline   Reply With Quote