Help

Special Education

Project Read

>

theroad

Project Read
Old 12-21-2016, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all - I use Project Read with my second graders. If you've ever used it, you probably know it's incredibly boring lol! I'm looking for any new ideas on how to liven it up a little... any thoughts would be appreciated!

theroad is offline   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 12-21-2016, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I did Project Read, we used it for skill work every day. It was the first and largest part of our language arts. I was intentionally upbeat and enthusiastic and used lots of choral responses. I used some fun competition where the top performer on a particular exercise won a simple reward such as being the first to line up. I let them use colored pencils, markers, and pens whenever possible.

We also used the last 15-20 minutes of language arts for read aloud. This was always an age and grade appropriate book. I used high interest engaging texts and sometimes we did fun projects based on our books. It exposed them to good literature, gave them something interesting to look forward to, and helped them see a purpose in learning to read.
SDT is offline   Reply With Quote