Help

Special Education

Whole word reversal

>

theroad

Whole word reversal
Old 01-23-2017, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I recently tested a student who frequently will reverse whole words (i.e. she will read "on" for "no", etc.).

I tested her using the WIAT, the TOWRE and the GORT. She was solidly average on the WIAT word reading subtests, just below average on the TOWRE (standard score 89, average being 90 - 110), and below average on the GORT for fluency, but above average in comprehension, making her total reading quotient in the solid average range.

She self-corrects all of the words she initially reads incorrectly. She has solid phonics skills and is able to identify and apply grade level phonics rules to words, so an explicit multisensory phonics program wouldn't be helpful to her. I don't believe she is dyslexic, but can't think of what else it might be. I'm hesitant to qualify her for services based on her scores and the fact that she can self-correct, but I want to present at least some type of strategy/accommodation for her.

Any insights greatly appreciated!

theroad is offline   Reply With Quote

LastMinute123

Old 01-23-2017, 11:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How old is she? How frequently do you mean? There are only so many words in English that are reversible: no/on, was/saw...I can't imagine she's reading 'evil' for 'live' or 'sub' for 'bus' within text if her comprehension is high, because she's probably using context to help her figure out words. She just needs instruction on how to approach a word and move her eyes from left to right across it, rather than stare at it straight on. That's probably what's slowing her fluency down, if her eyes are pausing on each word as a unit instead of sliding her eyes across them. Is she approaching words right to left when she reads in isolation? Does she also read in a language that doesn't move left to right? I'm guessing that by 'fluency' you mean 'speed.' Does she read in 3+ word phrases ("inthedoor" vs. in / the / door, "Ilovemymom" vs. I / love / my / mom, On Monday / I went to the park / with my mom vs. each word by itself)? Does her reading sound like oral speech, or is it choppy and over-enunciated (lit - tle vs. liddl, soft d's and t's at the ends of words, etc.)? Repeated reading is great for that, and I don't mean isolated test-prep passages but finding good books that she enjoys and can read 2-3 times, working on getting them to sound smooth and fast. Recording her and letting her listen or an adult reading the book then her reading it trying to sound that way are great tools too.
LastMinute123 is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Word reversal
Old 01-23-2017, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

From what I can understand, the comprehension of the student is not a big issue. It sounds like she hears herself reading the wrong words and does a self-correction.....Am I close?

Have you looked at the REWARDS program? It's scripted but I have had success with different level students that would use the starting sound of a word but come up with a completely different word (example: the word is "length" and they would say "light"). This program works of medial blends as well and syllabication.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

theroad

Old 01-25-2017, 10:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Great, thank you both! Yes, she does do whole word reversals like "evil" for "live!" Like I said though, she always self-corrects. I haven't done her classroom observation yet, but I noticed she was distractible with me. She is being tested by OT as well, so I am feeling like part of this problem is distractibility paired with visual perception weaknesses. I like the recommendation to teach/remind her that we read left to right, as again, I think she is seeing words as whole units and not so much thinking of them as letter/sound correspondences. Thanks again!
theroad is offline   Reply With Quote