Special Education

Fundations

>

theroad

Fundations
Old 01-27-2017, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello -

I am going to be teaching a 3rd and 4th grade partial inclusion room. The students all read on a K-1 level, so I will be using Wilson Fundations with them. I've used Fundations in the past and I know it's a Tier 2 program and intended more for RtI.

I wanted to gather some ideas on either 1. how to supplement Fundations to make it more multisensory, or 2. if you think it would be confusing to also use Words Their Way.

theroad is offline   Reply With Quote

elsadoff

Old 01-27-2017, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have not used Fundations but am using Wilson Reading System which is the tier 3 program. That program has an spelling component. I think if you invest the money into it that might work better.
elsadoff is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-27-2017, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In my building the classroom teachers teach Fundations K-2 whole class, since phonics/decoding is such a weakness for our general population. I have found that using the language from fundations with some "tier 3 strategies" has helped my students immensely. What we're doing in my room makes more sense to them because they can easily connect it to what's going on in their gen ed rooms. For example, with teaching letter names and sounds, I use the Fundations picture cues/language (a apple /a/, b bat /b/) etc. but instead of just having my students say those, I add in a multisensory component. After we go through the letter/sound/picture card drill, I then give my students little trays of multisensory sand and I say, "Which letter says /b/?" and then they have to say "b says /b/" and draw it into their sand. If they can't remember, I prompt them with the fundations language, "b, bat..." and they can usually get it. I also teach the same "trick words" (sight words) from Fundations using some multisensory techniques and a LOT more repetition with reading and spelling the word than is done in the gen ed room. If your students are only getting Fundations with you, I'm not sure it would be as successful as I think getting a "double dose" of it in both settings is what really helps my kids. I have also found that my students are most successful if I can get them when they're young (K or early 1st grade). If they just start with me in 3rd grade I don't find my whole "multisensory Fundations" system to be effective in really catching them up. I haven't used Words Their Way since I was a student teacher (8 years ago!) so I don't remember much about it. If you can supplement with that AND use Fundations language, I think that might help. If it's really two totally different programs where you can't overlap, I think it would confuse your students more.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

rwinters

Old 01-29-2017, 04:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have used Fundations with 3 small group special education groups. Fundations can be used as a Tier 3 but in my case I used it a a Tier 2 as my school doesn't have a core phonics program for students.
rwinters is offline   Reply With Quote