Help

Special Education

Autistic wonder

>

65SpEd7xj4mdJ

Autistic wonder
Old 10-08-2018, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Wondering what to do about an Autistic student who is somewhat verbal. He pulls the paraprofessional glasses off without warning. I got some very good advice as he was a constant spitter at adults. Using the sink and a cup with tissue in the bottom has helped tremendously. But how to break, the pulling glasses off staff faces? He seems to do it to try to get out work. He is kindergarten student who frequently sits on his paraprofessional's lap.

65SpEd7xj4mdJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Opal

Old 10-09-2018, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I work with a first grade student with autism.....I stand behind him while he sits at a small table....all supplies are on a table near me.....I use first then visual....we go overboard on "nice job" and high fives when he works....I would use a timer for 5 minute work and then 5 minute break....lengthening the work time as student builds up some stamina...I would make sure the student gets some BIG smiles, "happy!", and M n M's and happy dances if your student doesn't touch glasses! That's what I'd try....best of luck!
Opal is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

Yikes
Old 10-11-2018, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

First off, he shouldn't be sitting on the para's lap. That puts him in a position where his impulsivity will kick in and the glasses will go flying. He also needs to sit in a chair with the para in a position to assist him, either next to him or behind him. She can assist him without having her glasses snatched off of her face. Use the penny system with him. He has a board with 5 velcro dots and the sentence, "I am working for _____." He earns 5 pennies while working for a choice of activity or a snack/treat. Start with giving a penny every minute he stays on task. After 5 pennies give him his choice activity. Slowly lengthen the time he needs to earn one penny. It's a wonderful visual and he will learn that pennies/money buy things he likes. Even students with autism who are higher functioning academically do well with a visual reward system.
Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
65SpEd

65SpEd

Thanks
Old 10-12-2018, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

WE are doing the STAR system with him so he is already familiar with the token board. Since the para is setting behind him now, it has gone much better.