Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Can you refreeze pies?

>

luvtulearn

Can you refreeze pies?
Old 11-18-2018, 02:07 PM

I made 2 home home made apple pies last weekend and froze them. Someone took them out looking for something and forgot to put them back in. Should I just leave them in the fridge for Thursday? I normally don't like home made food sitting that long in the fridge with no preservatives . Any ideas? I only bake pies during the holidays and pray they turn out!!! Being gluten free I always need help when I bake stuff for others so they can be the tasters.

luvtulearn is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 11-18-2018, 03:09 PM

I don't know, but here is what I found:
Quote:
Breads, Cakes and Pies. Freshness will be affected but they can be refrozen unless they have become contaminated with liquids dripping from other foods as they thawed. Cream pies should be discarded.
source: http://www.foodsafetysite.com/consum...se_article=273

Here's another helpful link: https://www.agriculture.ny.gov/FS/consumer/thawed.html
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 11-18-2018, 03:21 PM

Oh my...you have a problem here. What to do??

Pies that are thawed should only be kept in the refer for 2-3 days for best quality. 5 days would be questionable so I would nix this option.

Pies can be refrozen after they have been previously frozen but the second thawing could affect the texture and freshness of the pie. I think I would chance it with refreezing which might be the best of the two options.
MathWA is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

Eat them and make
Old 11-18-2018, 03:54 PM

new ones!
I am sorry we are only online friends. I love to bake pies and have a small family, with a DD who is on a keto diet, so not many pies are baked. I would be happy to replace your pies, but can't over the internet.

Are your pies already baked? Many bakers freeze their pies unbaked and then defrost and bake them the day they are served. If they are unbaked you can bake them, and then refreeze. If they are baked I have read you can refreeze, but the quality may not be as good. Then again, after a full turkey dinner, serve them with whipped cream or ice cream and maybe no one will notice.
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote