The VENT

Almost Always Late Principal

>

BoredCoTeach

BoredCoTeach

Almost Always Late Principal
Old 05-02-2019, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I would appreciate your feedback on something I have noticed about my school's principal: she's late 3 - 4 times a week. Teachers have to be at work at 7:15 a.m., and she comes in anytime from 7:45 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. She has a son she has to take to school. Yet, we have a number of single parents at my school and they are always at school on time. Why can't the leader of the school show up? And, yes, if we are late or the kids are late - they are trouble for it.

Lakeside

Old 05-03-2019, 04:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It's sucks that other parents are in trouble for something she's excusing in herself, but there's not really much you can do about it.

Does she perhaps stay quite long after everyone else leaves? Maybe it would make you feel better if you knew she was putting in the hours, just on the other end.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 05-03-2019, 05:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our p has to stay at school late many, many days, so if she comes in late, who cares? It isn't our job to police the p, is it? Her duty hours aren't my duty hours.

Plus, if she isn't there, she can't know if someone else is, can she? Might be a plus.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 05-03-2019, 05:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

While it's not our job to police others hours, an always late arriving principal affects how a school functions.

Stuff happens (flat tire, dead battery, accident, overslept) People can be late. But, those are not everyday occurrences. They are rare. Being late everyday to take your child to school is not acceptable. Get a morning sitter in the school district like the rest of us do.

I'm probably less tolerant as I worked for a late arriving principal.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

Old 05-03-2019, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have no idea what time our principal gets here. Not even on my radar.
While I understand the frustration, you don't know what's going on. She may have reasons for being late that are valid, and her schedule is possible flexed for those reasons.

MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-03-2019, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My previous P and AP both often came 10-20 minutes late, but they always said they weren't clock watchers and that they didn't really care when we came/left (even though our contract had official hours 30 minutes before students arrived and 30 minutes after they left) as long as we were present and prepared for teaching that day.

I honestly much preferred that arrangement as it honored us as salaried professionals vs. being clock punchers. It does seem a bit disingenuous to insist people show up at a contracted time well before students arrive and then on the other hand have the expectation that they stay well past it for school responsibilities and events. If you're that serious about "contract time" than you should be just as serious about staff leaving each day at the end of it.

That said, if P is coming in late and then getting teachers in trouble for doing the same thing, that's obviously an issue. You can't enforce something you're not willing to follow yourself as the boss.

Last edited by Haley23; 05-03-2019 at 10:07 AM..
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Contract hours
Old 05-03-2019, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Devil's Advocate here - Does the principal have different contract hours for some reason? One of ours does so it may seem like he is late every day, but he stays later than the other admin daily due to his contract hours. If my contract says I'm to be here by 7:30 a.m. but my colleague's says they come in at 7:45, I can't really say anything.

If that isn't the case then I don't think your principal should be discussing being late with others. I just know that circumstances and contractually bound time can be different.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 05-03-2019, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm with those who say it's not my place to monitor the P's comings and goings. Well, it's not my place to monitor anyone's except my aide (because I am her supervisor). My P often has morning meetings that keep him off campus.

I try very hard to stay in my own lane.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 05-04-2019, 02:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

One of my coworkers was an always late AP. After having this issue at two different schools, she was put on an improvement plan. The court case is posted online and honestly cracks me up- the county did so much to try to work with her... but at one point it documents that she was late “68 out of 74 arrival times” 😂 she has been moved down from her admin position to a classroom teacher.
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 05-04-2019, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I know my admin had numerous before school districttype meetings.

basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

I can see how that would be frustrating
Old 05-04-2019, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I hate it when I perceive that other people aren't pulling their weight. We are stretched very thin at my school staff-wise, and it's just one person who decides not to go out to duty or come pick up their intervention kids, and the dominos go crashing. Ultimately, though, it's not my job to police other people's hours. I feel like I am salaried to take care of my assigned tasks. If I come a little late one day or leave when the kids do, then I'm taking work home. I worked with someone who used to tease me mercilessly about leaving at 3:45, just rolling her eyes and huffing and "I can't believe you're leaving already". If my work is done, or if I plan to complete work at home that night, then it's really none of her business. I try not to police other people's hours, because I don't know what they've got going on.

That said, it's really unfair of her to saunter in late every day and then yell at others who do. Serious double standard, there.
BoredCoTeach

BoredCoTeach

Follow Up
Old 05-04-2019, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Our student's start time is at 7:17 a..m., and the majority of kids stroll late. My hunch is that parents know the principal is late, so "Why does their children have to come on time?" If she had weekly meetings, and came in one morning late, it would not be such an issue.

GoodEnough85

I guess I side with those
Old 05-04-2019, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

who say to stay out of it as you don't know the whole story.

She may have made arrangements with her superior to have that time. She may have an altered contract time, an extra duty, or whatever.

Even if she hasn't, it is her supervisor's job to call her out.
GoodEnough85 is offline   Reply With Quote