Help

BusyBoard

Extracurricular Events

>

cruxian

Extracurricular Events
Old 05-11-2019, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Today some of my students were participating in our local First Lego Robotics League. DD and I stopped by and watched for a bit and cheered the kids on. One of the parents said she'd been kinda disappointed that our administration hadn't stopped by. I'd been too since this thing seemed right up her alley (especially when she first arrived at the school).
Does your school have extracurricular events and (if so) does your administration attend?

cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 05-11-2019, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes, we do and yes our P attends most things.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tsy2013

Old 05-11-2019, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes, and admin is at ALL events.
Tsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 05-11-2019, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My P attends most everything. Heck, he gave up his lunch on Thursday to serve snowcones to 90 Kinders so the K teachers' lunch wasn't interrupted.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 05-11-2019, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My principal also goes to everything... basketball games, PTO fundraisers at McDonald's, robotics competitions, district-wide art fairs, school dances, etc. She shares sub duties with the reading and math coaches when we can't get a classroom sub. She will even serve as a lunch aide when a lunch lady calls in sick.

OP... Sorry your principal isn't more involved.

jov is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

Yes
Old 05-11-2019, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

that is one positive about our administration. They are usually at school events unless there is a problem.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

TheElphaba

Absent
Old 05-11-2019, 10:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

In our small school we have an IN HOUSE SUPT. who serves NOT ONLY as a Principal, but as the Supt.

He is new here in North Eastern Montana and is ALWAYS absent from activities. In fact he leaves at 4pm on the dot every day. Refuses to do anything extra. Doesn't handle discipline, refuses to sub, doesn't come to any assemblies, games, plays, etc. He does nothing as far as we can see, but sit on his butt spying on all of us.
TheElphaba is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Rebutal...
Old 05-12-2019, 03:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Yes, it would be nice if administrators attended the extracurricular events.
But, just like teachers, administrators have a life away from school. If my principal attended every one of the events at my school, he would be there three to four nights per week and most weekends.

Every week at this site, I read about teachers complaining about having to attend these events or having extra duties, which means time away from their families or other community responsibilities. I think the same goes for administrators.

Thank you for attending a weekend event. You are a very dedicated teacher, and I know your students appreciated it.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 05-12-2019, 04:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

If it is an extracurricular event on campus, then my principal participates just like the teachers do. If it is off campus, then he does not. I would not expect him to help off campus either.

Last edited by chalkdusty; 05-12-2019 at 12:03 PM..
chalkdusty is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Extras
Old 05-12-2019, 05:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We don't have a bunch of extracurriculars at our school.

What little we have is poorly attended and many of our students struggle to stay eligible.

I am only aware of our principal attending boys basketball games (her family is involved in the coaching and concessions). As far as I know she never goes to any other athletic events, concerts or scholastic bowl.

I guess this does not bother me. Many people put in a lot time on various school committees (leadership committee, academic intervention committee and several behavior committees).

The staff as a whole is pretty exhausted and burned out. We have a lot of turnover and I think it is healthy to set boundaries.

The one thing that does bother me is when a staff member gets a district-wide recognition and no one from our administrative staff shows up at the award banquet or even mentions it in a staff newsletter.

I never really was bothered by this until I went to support a colleague at one of these banquets and we were literally the only school that did not have at least one administrator there.

readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-12-2019, 08:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We don't have many events like that at the elementary level. There are just a few music performances throughout the year, and one play which admin both attend. We also have a couple of evening things like literacy night, math/science night, etc. that admins of course attend also.

While it would be nice to make an appearance at activities, I think that would be extremely hard for secondary admins who have all of those sports teams, band, choir, academic/debate team, etc. Even going to one game/event per season per activity would be a lot!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 05-12-2019, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We have a ton of extra curricular activities, and admin couldnít possibly attend all of them. However, they try to get to them pretty often.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 05-12-2019, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Thanks all for the responses. A bit of additional information: I am not particularly dedicated for attending this event. I did not run the club, I was out anyway and nearby, and the timing was good so I stopped by. I totally understand and agree with the notion that teachers need lives of their own and must be careful to draw boundaries in order to prevent burn out. I worry about that with a few new teachers at our school.

Now for the "but." I think that there can be something to be said for "that's above my pay grade." That IS their pay grade. They committed to being administrators and I think there's an element of expectation at that level that there isn't necessarily there for teachers. With some nuances.....we're an elementary school without a lot of extracurricular events. I think at the middle and high school level there are a lot more and administration may not be able to attend them all. We have very few and, when the mom said that, it made me realize they don't attend ANY of them. They don't attend the Evening of the Arts events that the music and art teacher put on. They didn't attend the robotics thing. We don't have sports teams or spirit nights at local restaurants. Also, FWIW (and I think it's worth something), there are no children at home for either administrator, nor any acknowledgment of these events occurring (like a "hey congratulations to the robotics team").

I realize that my mild criticism of administration may rub some the wrong way. If they showed up at other events and not this one, I'd have just said something along the lines of, "Something must have come up" or some such. But to show up for NOTHING when there's not a lot?
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 05-12-2019, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Quote:
I think that there can be something to be said for "that's above my pay grade." That IS their pay grade. They committed to being administrators and I think there's an element of expectation at that level that there isn't necessarily there for teachers.
I agree with you! I know it is in the P contracts here to attend events.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

TheElphaba

Life beyond the school
Old 05-12-2019, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I agree that we ALL have a life away from school.

In HUGE areas/metropolis I'm sure that it is difficult to attend EVERY function.
However, in a small rural area and a school population of around 100 students it is expected that Administration and teachers be present for almost every activitiy.

I think my main gripe about this guy is that he gets paid a huge amount of money and his wife also is the highest paid staff member. They have ONLY been here since July. They pay no rent, no insurance, no utilities.....NOTHING!! Everything is given to them free. So when they leave at 4 pm on the dot, refuse to sub when needed, dont show up for assemblies, games, or other school events then I think it is wrong. Also he refuses to answer the telephone!

Our last Supt. stayed late, emptied trash when custodian was absent, helped in lunch room, subbed in classes when needed, shoveled snow, painted, mowed lawn, and even cleaned up puke! She also attended as many games as she could, she was at every assembly, play and function.

In small town rural Montana the community WANTS to see the school administrator in the public. The students also need to see him at these functions and by the by the community, parents, students do notice who is there and who is not.
TheElphaba is offline   Reply With Quote

BellJ

Admin attending events
Old 05-13-2019, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

My administration attends everything. I am elementary, so there aren't ballgames. There is a LOT of stuff though. The principal attends multiple things during the week and occasionally some on Saturdays. Plus, she goes to every school board meeting. If it relates to our school at all, she's there.

It is one of the reasons why I won't get my admin license. I know I don't want to spend all my free time attending events.
BellJ is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 05-13-2019, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

My admin is at all events... but, as others said, itís elementary and there arenít a ton. If she wasnít there, how could it get posted on Twitter to brag? 😂

I agree that it goes along with their pay grade! And quite often theyíre the ones that entered us into the event.

But, also... just cause Iím single with no kids doesnít mean I need to work more hours for the same pay 😉
UVAgrl928 is online now   Reply With Quote