Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Awkward WWYD?

>

Cat woman

Awkward WWYD?
Old 06-04-2019, 08:09 AM

My teaching partner and I both retired from our part time positions this year. The schoolís Sunshine had a little after school party with cake and ice cream for those leaving, retiring, having babies, etc. At the party they gave us a card. Mine was a nice thank you for all I did, etc. I felt it was a kind gesture because I was afterallonly part time and had officially retired 4 years earlier. My teaching partner just send out an email thank you to Sunshine thanking them for the party and the gift cards (plural). I am wondering if I was suppose to get one of the cards. The gift card is really no biggie to me, but do I send out a thank you anyway? I have thought of jokingly texting my partner (we are friends) and say where is my card or something like that. Ughhhh..... the whole thank you protocol gets confusing to me!

Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 06-04-2019, 08:22 AM

I try really hard not to put myself in comparative situations. I vote you thank them and move on.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 06-04-2019, 08:27 AM

Thanks! That was my gut feeling.

chipmunky

I would sent a thank you
Old 06-04-2019, 08:57 AM

and specify, thank you for the greeting card or for the best wishes. If you don't mention a gift card they may realize that they made a mistake and put both gift cards into one envelope- that could be what happened. Or if you have a very close teacher friend still working there you may mention it to her/him and let them check it out for you? They could find out whether there was a reason that your friend got gift cards and you didn't.

We had problems like that for years. Some teachers got large gifts others tokens for the same thing. Our sunshine fund was done by one teacher. Then a few years ago that teacher left and then we formed a committee of at least 3 teachers who sat down and wrote out the specifics of how much money etc. will be spent on each type of occasion. Things became very fair and equal.

I know it isn't about the gift card. Teachers give so much of themselves it is upsetting to feel unacknowledged and/or slighted.
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 06-04-2019, 10:41 AM

I honestly think they accidentally put both gift cards in her envelope. Our Sunshine has very specific guidelines. That is why I wasnít expecting anything. I was part time and didnít contribute to the Sunshine funds (neither did my teaching partner) as a part timer. Truthfully I was surprised and grateful to be included in the end of the year event at all!

Gromit

Old 06-04-2019, 11:35 AM

I think if it was an accident and she specifically used the plural in her email, whoever is in charge will realize what happened and make it right. That's what I would do if I realized I'd accidentally put two cards in one envelope.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Wwyd
Old 06-04-2019, 01:34 PM

Life is short, let it go. Send a thank you note.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 06-04-2019, 06:19 PM

Done! Thanks for the advice.

timeforbed

I would want to know
Old 06-04-2019, 08:37 PM

Hmm...I disagree. I would quietly ask the head of the Sunshine committee. Then if she says it was a mistake, I would beg her to not do anything about it or bring it up to her. I'd rather be happy knowing my friend got an extra card than feel that the group has feel obligated to get me a card.
timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

I would want to know
Old 06-04-2019, 08:37 PM

Hmm...I disagree. I would quietly ask the head of the Sunshine committee. Then if she says it was a mistake, I would beg her to not do anything about it or bring it up to her. I'd rather be happy knowing my friend got an extra card than feel that the group has feel obligated to get me a card.

I know; it makes no sense.

timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote