What did I just do?? (Paris with a 2 year old?!) - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

What did I just do?? (Paris with a 2 year old?!)

>

periwinklez

What did I just do?? (Paris with a 2 year old?!)
Old 06-06-2019, 08:56 AM

I just booked a trip to Paris with my DH and DD towards end of August. She will be just almost 2 when we go.

7-8 hours on the plane going and coming back?! Not to mention, where will we find places to change her??

We’ll be staying in an apartment-hotel (with kitchenette) by the Seine which is walking distance to the Luxembourg garden and Louvre. Short train ride to Eiffel Tower.

Ahh! What did I get ourselves into?? Oh and she’s never been on the plane yet. But we will have traveled to Chicago by plane (2.5 hrs from us) earlier in August.

I need some encouragement and tips.

periwinklez is offline   Reply With Quote

rusty

Old 06-06-2019, 09:27 AM

Oh my.....I'm jealous!! But I do understand your apprehension....it will be what it will be....wonderful!!!! Most transatlantic flights leave at night....is that the case with your plans? Maybe your DD will sleep for most of the trip. Have favorite toys, videos, snacks,etc. I'm glad you'll have a kitchenette as I was in Paris a few years ago with my 2 yr old grandson and most restaurants are NOT child friendly. French people don't eat dinner until around 8 and so when you walk in with a stroller at 5...they are not very friendly! Lots of good bakeries and farmers markets and so you can get by with lots of yummy cheese and bread! Bring your own Cheerios if your DD loves them like my DGS did! The supermarkets there sell them....but for 14 dollars a box!! We also brought our own Kraft Mac and cheese.....as that was not found anywhere in Paris! They have tons of playgrounds and live puppet shows in public parks. Take lots of pictures and keep the wonderful memories fresh in your DD's mind as she grows up. Have you gotten passports? It takes longer than you think it will, so don't delay if you still need to do that. Enjoy the planning and relax!!
rusty is online now   Reply With Quote

Readingal

Old 06-06-2019, 10:50 AM

How fun! Teach her to love traveling from a young age! Maybe she’ll sleep on the plane.
Readingal is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 06-06-2019, 11:16 AM

Check out www.trekaroo.com My friends are the founders, and it is a website/travel business focused on traveling with children. There is tons of advice on child-friendly travel. They've taken their kids literally all over the world since the oldest was a baby.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 06-06-2019, 11:53 AM

It will either be the best trip ever or.... lol! Paris though-so jealous! You might want to talk with your DD's pediatrician. Maybe he can recommend something to help her sleep on the plane. My DS's pediatrician mentioned giving DS Benadryl when we took him on a six hour plane ride to Seattle. It helped him sleep through the flight. Of course my DS had just turned five at the time so he was a bit older than your DD. I wish you a wonderful trip. You are going to make so many great family memories. Good for you for doing something like this! You just have to survive the flight. Once you get to Paris it will be all good

Jackie is online now   Reply With Quote

jvar87

Old 06-06-2019, 12:21 PM

Make sure to get her her own seat on the plane and put her in her carseat for safety and sanity! We flew with our 18 month old in April and he was great! Sat in his seat and played with some toys we brought (water wow books, dimpl, family album of photos).

https://csftl.org/leaving-on-a-jet-p...with-children/

Otherwise, definitely plan to babywear while on the trip! Should be lots of fun.
jvar87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Chimneygrl

Old 06-06-2019, 04:45 PM

Call the airline and ask for a cot seat. They will put you in the front row and during the flight they will
Provide a seat for your DD. That way you don’t have to pay for a seat. The only downside is that if you hit turbulence then you need to take her out.

We fly all of the time and I have a 6 and 3 year old. When they were little they were great and slept for most of the flight.
Chimneygrl is offline   Reply With Quote