Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Kidney Stones and Pain

>

all41

Kidney Stones and Pain
Old 06-10-2019, 04:34 PM

There has been a few people on PT who have shared their experiences with kidney stones. I am hoping for some insight.

Do you always have pain with kidney stones? What symptoms made you go to the doctor to get checked out? How did the Dr. diagnose kidney stones? If you have/had pain is it sharp or more like dull, cramping?

Thanks.

all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 06-10-2019, 04:51 PM

I can't tell you what a kidney stone feels like. I thought I had a kidney stone and it turned out to be a UTI. I had dull cramping and felt like there was a blockage and there was sharp pain when I urinated. Hope you don't have a kidney stone.. I hear that feels much worse.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

I have had
Old 06-10-2019, 05:05 PM

UTIs and the symptoms were a dull ache and cramping, pain in my lower back like I used to have during my period, and a pain or discomfort after I urinated. The need to urinate frequently. I once had blood in my urine.

I had kidney stones. I had no pain because it was stuck in my kidney and didn't move. The symptom was very high blood pressure. It was diagnosed because I was admitted to the hospital for the high bp. They needed to check my heart. So, I had to have a chest xray first. The radiologist saw the big ole kidney stone on the xray because I am very petite. I still had to have all the heart ultrasounds etc. before they would release me.
chipmunky is online now   Reply With Quote

liberty teach

Kidney stone
Old 06-10-2019, 05:43 PM

DH had a stone last month. He had one about 10 years ago, so he knew the symptoms. This time around it started like a dull ache n his back. A week later it turned into pain, and he couldnít get comfortable. We went straight to the ER. A urinalysis showed blood, and the CT confirmed a stone.
liberty teach is online now   Reply With Quote

Christi508

Kidney stones.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:52 PM

Mine started low back side with a dull pain. I thought I did something exercising. It pretty quickly became more severe..so much so that I was telling my husband not to stop at red lights on the way to the ER. Good pain meds helped there..every time you have to use the bathroom they give you a strainer. Luckily mine passed quickly on its own. Hope that helps.

Christi508 is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

stones
Old 06-10-2019, 06:10 PM

I had them last month along with a kidney infection. I had low back/side pain that came in waves all day long. But I have chronic low back pain so I thought it was just a bad day. Extra Tylenol the heating pad the recliner or the bed. It was in waves much like labor pains. It wasn't until I started vomiting later that evening did I realize it was a different pain. Hospital Urgent Care did a CT scan, urine culture, med to stop the vomiting, and a a whopper pain medicine shot. They don't give out oral pain medication due to drug seekers.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Dillolynn1

Excruciating
Old 06-10-2019, 06:11 PM

I have had three kidney stones, and I felt a dull ache in my back followed by the worst pain ever. I have given birth and was in less pain than when I had those stones. My ex used to get them too. That was the only time I saw him cry.
Dillolynn1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 06-10-2019, 08:15 PM

Mine was usually a generalized discomfort just off to the side below my ribs on my back.

My main symptom was always pink urine and vomiting.

I didnít have severe pain until the stone moved and lodged in a duct. That was a generalized sharp pain. I had emergency surgery to remove it.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Kidney Stones
Old 06-11-2019, 02:48 AM

I had sharp, intense pain on one side and in my back. I had to go to the emergency room and, fortunately, the kidney stone passed in a few hours.
travelingfar is online now   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 06-11-2019, 03:41 AM

Thanks for sharing your story everyone.

all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 06-11-2019, 03:58 AM

I have passed about 12 stones and had major surgery as well as many day surgeries to remove stones.

I did not always get pain with my stones. Sometimes the only reason I knew I passed a stone was when I heard the "plink!" as I passed it.

The times I did have to see a Dr. is when I would get pain in my flank area. most of my kidney stones were diagnosed by an Xray. These stones were usually in my ureter by then. The last one was 22mm and I only felt pain when it became wedged in my ureter - it was too big to pass.

It took me almost 6 years for my PCP to take me seriously that something was wrong and people don't just randomly pass stones. He finally referred me to a urologist when I had 3 kidney infections in 4 months! I had major kidney surgery the day after seeing the urologist.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote