Help

BusyBoard

Gifted teachers, I need your help!

>

OrganizedPup

Gifted teachers, I need your help!
Old 06-12-2019, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Iíve been told I have to teach gifted students in 4th and 5th. It will most likely be a pull out model. I work at a small(ish) school (independent school/no district) and really havenít been given much guidance on this. When I expressed my concerns, my principal told me sheís provide support/resources but if her track record is any indication of that then she wonít. (Oh, btw, I donít have a gifted add-on to my license. I am just certified K-6 elem.) I really donít have any idea what Iím doing so I need your help. My initial thought it to pull out gifted reading and math separately but I again, I have no idea. Who can help me? How would you approach this? What would you teach? Any advice/help is GREATLY appreciated!

(Yes, I know there is a gifted board, but that board is incredibly slow.)

TIA!

OrganizedPup is offline   Reply With Quote

giver1940

Not a gifted teacher nor a
Old 06-12-2019, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

teacher of the gifted, but why don't you try to PM some of the teachers on the gifted board and see if you can get help that way?
giver1940 is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

gifted
Old 06-13-2019, 02:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our school provides a little PD on gifted teaching and this is the book we used:

Teaching Gifted Kids in Todayís Classroom: Strategies and Techniques Every Teacher Can Use fourth edition, book with digital content Edition
by Susan Winebrenner M.S. (Author), Dina Brulles Ph.D. (Contributor)

At least your school provides time for gifted. We are expected to address their needs within the classroom. So I used some ideas from this book for projects and independent studies.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 06-16-2019, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I taught gifted for years and loved it! The kids are great. You are so lucky. Like you, I got little guidance at first, so I let the kids be my guide. I asked them what THEY wanted to learn. Each semester, we brainstormed a list of things they were curious about, then voted on what to study. We did everything from creating model rain forests to living history museums to greek mythology. Their interests ranged all over the place.

Are you specifically teaching reading/math? For reading, I'd recommend lit circles using classic literature, so the text is challenging but still age appropriate. We read Alice in Wonderland, Treasure Island, Lord of the Rings and Peter Pan. They loved those books. We also taught a lot of grammar and did a lot with analogies, poetry and figurative language. My 5th graders did iMovies of Shakespeare.

For math, you'll want to pretest every unit, to see what they already know and what you can skip. Always overplan, because they will learn fast and will likely have strategies for solving problems that are unique and still accurate. Logic puzzles are fun. You should visit sites like youcubed.org at Stanford for more ways to teach math.

Also, gifted kids often like competitions. The Noetic Math Contest is a national competition that is challenging. You can do practice lessons with them, too. My kids also did WordMasters, which is an analogy competition. Both contests give medals and certificates to the winners.

I'd also recommend checking out byrdseed.com, a site by a gifted teacher in California. He has a lot of lessons and resources.

Good luck! I think you will have a lot of fun next year!
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Gifted
Old 06-17-2019, 05:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I second what Izzy23 said! Read the classics (and do comparisons with modern versions/movies). And definitely follow their interests. - In today's internet-connected world, it's easy to look things up together, and it teaches them how to keep learning after school is out.

Let them use Kahn Academy to work ahead in math. Have a contest in Feb/March to memorize a bunch of digits of Pi.

One other thing I've done when I've been in classes with higher-level kids for a while is a puzzle of the day. Block off a corner of the board and put up a logic puzzle they can copy down and play around with when they finish their regular classroom work early. (Make sure their other teachers know they have this.) There are books of them you can borrow from the library, or probably websites that will even send you one a day.

Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote