Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Hiking and walking sticks

>

CZMOM

Hiking and walking sticks
Old 06-13-2019, 01:34 PM

My husband and I are going to be hiking in Glacier National Park and in Banff next month. We are not frequent hikers but have hiked once or twice a year. I was wondering if we should get walking sticks. My husband's knees are not great. He has had a shot to help with pain but I am concerned. If you use a walking stick when hiking what kind did you get. How stable are the collapsible kind? If you have any information to share, please do. TIA.

CZMOM is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 06-13-2019, 01:45 PM

I hope Amiga sees this. She has recommended walking poles which she said are of help with balancing and having sure-footing when walking on uneven ground.
ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 06-13-2019, 01:56 PM

Yes, get hiking poles. I use one and dh uses two.

Definitely get the telescoping kind. Dh has poles that adjust with a screw on the outside and can’t be adjusted along the way. I don’t know what he was thinking.

Mine is a Leki and is telescoping. I love it. I use it at one length for uphill and then make it longer for downhill. The top of mine has an L shaped handle. I like it because I can hook the handle on a tree to pull myself up if needed.

I bought mine about 25 years ago in Banff. Hiking there kicked my butt. Don’t be like me, I bought it after a hike to help me walk! Buy yourself a good one before the hike!

REI is a good place to get trekking poles.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

SteelerFan

I use a set
Old 06-13-2019, 02:11 PM

It is very helpful to conserve energy so you can hike easier. I have hiked with others who have had knee replacement and other knee problems. These people have told me that the poles help tremendously. I hiked Colorado without a pair, I now use them everywhere I hike. If you each get a pair that are collapsable, you can carry one if you prefer to use one and have two, if not. I have the inexpensive style LL Bean poles. I'll need to replace the points before long.
SteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

hiking poles
Old 06-13-2019, 02:19 PM

I use hiking poles off and on, and I hike a lot. It all depends on the terrain. If it is uneven, definitely use them. They are great for balance and stability. However, make sure you use them correctly. Once in a while I try to use them on sidewalks, and the tip gets caught in the cracks on the pavement. That could cause you to lose balance. Of course it's a bit stupid of me as I should make sure that in my urban hikes I cover the tips with the special rubber cups, but they often get lost when I take them off for my mountain hikes.

I love my collapsible poles, and they are quite sturdy. You can find good ones at REI or other sports outfit. A bit pricey, but they can help you find the ones you need and show you how to adjust them for the correct height. You need different heights for different walks.

cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-13-2019, 02:36 PM

I got mine from Walmart and have never had a problem with them. I use them for hiking and cross country skiing. Collapsible and strong. And if for some reason you lose them, you arenít going to want to walk off a cliff to punish yourself.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 06-13-2019, 02:53 PM

Hugs to ZipLine, Iím here.

I use these and love them. I started with a cheaper pair when hiking at Camp with 5th graders. Then when my balance got bad, I started using them every day. For trails, as cvt said, the metal tips are great, but my daily walks now (6-8ish miles) are mostly city streets so I order super sturdy rubber tips from Amazon (they last about 6 months). They have saved me from falling many times.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kathcha

Yes
Old 06-13-2019, 03:58 PM

I agree they are really helpful for certain climbs and collapsible is better for packing obviously. When I went to Machu Pichu last November, I used them often for the steep climbs. I bought them there and they were just a cheap pair but helped. I had trouble with the 11,000 ft elevations so they were especially needed. I took Diamox, the drug for elevation and although it helped my sister and other people, it didn't help me at all.
However, my dh and I just went to hike in Utah to hike 3 of the national parks and didn't use them at all. He didn't feel like packing them. But we didn't feel we needed them that much. I've never been to the place you are going. In Utah, We'd hike about a mile and a half at a time, tops. Reason? again, the elevations took a toll and we were out of breath so took it easier than we thought we would. We also didn't do any really steep climbing where having poles is really needed. We happen to live at sea level so even 5,000 elevation is an adjustment for us although not as bad as Machu Pichu which was especially difficult for me .
Kathcha is offline   Reply With Quote

CZMOM

Old 06-13-2019, 05:03 PM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I will definitely look into your recommendations.

Quote:
And if for some reason you lose them, you aren't going to walk off a cliff to punish yourself.
CZMOM is offline   Reply With Quote