Help

The VENT

Whatís wrong with me?

>

NewCAteacher

Whatís wrong with me?
Old 01-25-2018, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach self-contained special ed and the vast majority of the time, I enjoy what I do. But, Iím never able to fully relax on weekends, breaks, or sick days. I donít take work home, and I donít worry about the upcoming days or weeks. Instead, I constantly have intrusive thoughts about all the mistakes I may have made during the week, things I may have said that sounded dumb or whiny, or who in my district thinks I suck as a teacher. What is this? Anyone have advice?

NewCAteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

SpedinTx

Old 01-25-2018, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My first year as a special education teacher, my wonderful principal told me on the first day of school to just relax because anything you teach the students is something they didn't know. It's not about keeping up with the other teachers its about the kids and watching them progress. Celebrate the very small victories. When one of my students yelled out a cuss word in the hall way, another teacher asked me why I was smiling. My answer, "He's finally saying something in his own defense".
SpedinTx is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

overanxious thoughts racing
Old 01-25-2018, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What do u do to unwind? Some people I know take yoga, others keep active while others are under meds or do a combination of things on a temporary basis. I don't think it's a good sign if you can't find you zen.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 01-25-2018, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have that problem too and social media (Pinterest and FB doesnít help). No advice just sympathy.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 01-25-2018, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It may be a touch of generalized anxiety and the inability to relax about the choices you make. Teachers,as a general rule are pretty hard on themselves though. Do these intrusive thoughts occur in non work situations? That's the key to the problem.

anna is online now   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 01-25-2018, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I teach a similar type of class, and I've realized that sometimes the change of "thinking pace" is hard for me. In the classroom my brain is doing about 9 billion things at once, and then I come home and it feels like I'm skidding to a stop. During the week it's ok, but sometimes weekends are difficult. Exercising most evenings helps, and so does being intentional about what I'm doing. When I'm doing chores or go for a walk I usually listen to a book or a podcast so that my brain has something to focus on rather than run amok with jumbled thoughts.

Hope this helps. And, maybe talk to a professional about it (through EAP) if the intrusive thoughts are interfering with everyday life? (And a hug.)
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Surly

I used to be the same way
Old 01-26-2018, 03:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

But it's not worth it. Try to enjoy your weekends as much as possible. Odds are you're probably doing all you should realistically be expected to do while you're there. A lot of problems that manifest themselves in your classroom are rooted in things over which you have no control.

Sure, you could spend all of your weekends planning, thinking, making materials. That's what "hero" teachers you see in movies do, but it's a game if diminishing returns. If you spend every waking moment of your free time thinking, stressing, questioning your worth, and working, at best, you'll probably see a 2-3 percent improvement in your classroom. Is that worth giving up your personal life, mental health, and sense of self-worth over? It isn't to me.
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote

NewCAteacher

Yes
Old 01-26-2018, 06:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Yes, I think this is spot on!! My mind goes 200 miles an hour all week and on the weekend, it all comes to a grinding halt. Thanks for helping me put a name to this.
NewCAteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

SweetTea

Listen to Surly...
Old 01-27-2018, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I used to go through the same thing, but am doing better now too. Goodbye "Super Teacher"....hello my life. I used to overanalyze, over plan and overdo to prove to myself I was a good teacher. It almost broke my health. I have to practice releasing and reframing things and just letting them go!
SweetTea is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-27-2018, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have the same issue. I once talked to a Dr. about it and he said it was most likely an anxiety issue. I guess I thought anxiety was more like worrying about the future, being up at night worrying about what could go wrong tomorrow, etc.

He explained that constantly replaying past situations and worrying about them is just another form that anxiety can take, and that it was good that I recognized the specific "trigger/behavior" because that would help me realize that was just anxiety talking.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Readynow

Readynow

get grounded
Old 01-28-2018, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Not like a teenager but grounded in Nature! on the weekend I like to get in my car and drive on a county road, explore, play tourist, etc. I come back with a new perspective. My problems are small and my job too: ( dealing with groups of people and the politics)compared to this big beautiful complex planet .
Passerby

Passerby

Old 01-28-2018, 08:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

That could be a generalized anxiety disorder. How do you sleep? If sleep is a problem, if you are waking with fear and dread in the middle of the night, the source may be anxiety.

Counseling, therapy, exercise, and diet are the best solutions. Prescription drugs are not, not unless your symptoms are SEVERE, because there are none designed to treat anxiety specifically. Drugs designed to treat depression are prescribed because they dull the symptoms of anxiety, but the side effects are horrendous, and the underlying causes of your anxiety go unresolved.

Long-term. diet and exercise are the absolute best defenses against anxiety, against combating the hormonal imbalances that throw your mind into disarray. DHEA, magnesium, vitamins B and D are effective treatments, but your doctor could tell you more.

Good luck!